Intense SOCOM- only pure DH ?

PB Forum :: Other
Intense SOCOM- only pure DH ?
  • Previous Page
Posted: Nov 24, 2007 at 13:14 Quote
I am interested in Socom. I wanted to ask u: can this frame be used in Freeride?
I am not talking about 20 m long gaps, and 10 m high drops...?

Is it good choice to buy this frame, but using it also jumping, dropping, and gapping??

thank's for answering!

O+
Posted: Nov 24, 2007 at 13:17 Quote
its a great bike for jumping.. a lot of dh has jumps in it... depends on how soft ur spring is.. have it a lil stiff and i bet she will be sick.. its really light 8" travel bike.. should be awesome... a lot of ppl i seen jump M3's and an uzzi is a nice jump ibke... and the socom are a blend of thses with weitght of a 6.6

Posted: Nov 24, 2007 at 13:32 Quote
Still wondering how can a pure race DH bike be freeride-able. Intense marketed it under their FRO (For Race Only program). I'm pretty sure material was removed in somes critic areas to weight the thing down.

Doing this is always risky and limit the life of a frame. I was told a year ago that this frame was intended to be use 2 or 3 seasons racing. Passed this delay, racing this frame became dangerous.

Posted: Nov 24, 2007 at 13:32 Quote
10 meters = 32.808399 feet

20 meters = 65.6167979 feet

ur going pretty large, maybe you should by a kerpiel(joke)

ive heard socoms are prone to snapping somewhere as there 'For Race Only', youd probs be fine with it though.. maybeConfused

Posted: Nov 24, 2007 at 13:35 Quote
he is NOT doing such drops and gaps. f*cktard.

Posted: Nov 24, 2007 at 13:41 Quote
lacm wrote:
he is NOT doing such drops and gaps. f*cktard.

don't be a dick

I misread his post initially too since he has a question mark at the end of a statement.

Posted: Nov 24, 2007 at 13:46 Quote
sorry but read before you write.

Posted: Nov 24, 2007 at 13:49 Quote
I am also thinking about getting a Socom. In the Socom Review in Mountain Bike magazine it says that the Socom is a bike bred for downhill but can be EASILY jumped/dropped. I would keep the dropping to a certain limit but for normal doubles or tabletops it should be perfectly fine.

Posted: Nov 24, 2007 at 13:54 Quote
I think I will write an email to Intense, and ask theme about Socom's FR possibility. I want to know what with guarantee, when the frame unfortunately crank or something like that...

O+ FL
Posted: Nov 24, 2007 at 14:01 Quote
find me a broken socom. if you're looking for a more freeride bike check out the uzzi. very tough bike and can easily be raced for downhill. not a pure dh bike, but neither is the socom a pure freeride bike. between the two, i'm sure you won't have any issues

Posted: Nov 24, 2007 at 14:07 Quote
matt-beer wrote:
find me a broken socom. if you're looking for a more freeride bike check out the uzzi. very tough bike and can easily be raced for downhill. not a pure dh bike, but neither is the socom a pure freeride bike. between the two, i'm sure you won't have any issues

Difficult to find one since they were released less than a year ago and their lifetime is around two years! Héhé

O+ FL
Posted: Nov 24, 2007 at 14:18 Quote
how can you put a lifespan on them? where did you get that kind of information?

Posted: Nov 24, 2007 at 14:26 Quote
matt-beer wrote:

Metal fatigues over time and most pure downhill bikes that are meant for racing only do not have a long life span. In an issue of Mountain Bike Action, they said that top of the line 4x bikes will only last two seasons if raced competitively. I believe it was in their buyer's guide edition. The stress from the sport's disciplines combined with stretched material to lighten up weight has its affects. Hence the reason all of the older Cannondales were known as crack and fails.

Posted: Nov 24, 2007 at 14:27 Quote
4xer wrote:
matt-beer wrote:

Metal fatigues over time and most pure downhill bikes that are meant for racing only do not have a long life span. In an issue of Mountain Bike Action, they said that top of the line 4x bikes will only last two seasons if raced competitively. I believe it was in their buyer's guide edition. The stress from the sport's disciplines combined with stretched material to lighten up weight has its affects. Hence the reason all of the older Cannondales were known as crack and fails.

Now I understand. You get your information from MBA. The Socom is plenty durable. Lot's of people use them for freeride duties.

Posted: Nov 24, 2007 at 14:31 Quote
gornik wrote:
I think I will write an email to Intense, and ask theme about Socom's FR possibility. I want to know what with guarantee, when the frame unfortunately crank or something like that...

This is possibly the best thing to ever do in this situation. Just remember to save your emails and to do as they say. I have a feeling that they will tell you that anything outside of DH riding and racing would not be very sutable, but I guess we will have to see. Post up what they say when you get it.

~Mark

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.010362
Mobile Version of Website