Just had this communication in from the suits in Switzerland (UCI).
Some interesting new rules and regulations for the DH fraternity concerning skin suits, going bullet and more.
First off, make a note of the 2009 tour dates. Eight rounds for the Downhill fraternity is going to be a killer on the team's purse strings in these tight times. Will this also mean many of the top riders concentrating on this instead of their domestic national series? 2009 Race Dates
11-12th UCI World Cup DHI/4X Round 1 Pietermaritzburg (RSA)
UCI World Cup DHI Round 2 La Bresse (FRA)
UCI World Cup DHI/4X Round 3 Vallnord (AND)
UCI World Cup DHI/4X Round 4 06-07.06.2009 Fort William (GBR)
UCI World Cup DHI/4X Round 5 20-21.06.2009 Maribor (SLO)
18-19th BC National Champs Innerleithen (Sco)
25-26th UCI World Cup XCO/DHI/4X Round 6 Mont-Sainte-Anne (CAN)
1-2nd UCI World Cup XCO/DHI/4X Round 7 Bromont (CAN)
5-6th UCI World Champs Canberra (Aus)
19-20 UCI World Cup XCO/DHI/4X Round 8 Schladming (AUT)2009 UCI MTB World Regulations
The new rules or modifications to the 2009 UCI Mountain Bike regulations have been approved by the UCI Management Committee. The 2009 UCI MTB regulations will be published on the UCI website from December. The most important changes are listed below
: UCI MTB World Cup
:World Cup Participation
: will basically remain the same as last year except that riders belonging to a UCI MTB Team will need the 20 UCI points as well to participate at UCI MTB World Cup. World Cup Registration
: will remain the same as last year. It will be through the online registration system. World Cup - Late Entries
- the rule concerning the late entries from national federations has not changed, will remains 300CHF per riders
- Late entries from UCI MTB teams: a fine of CHF 300 for the first rider and where more than one rider is involved, a total fine of CHF 500 shall be paid.
World Cup Award Ceremony - The following riders must attend
- The five first riders in the elite event;
- The leader of the elite general classification after the event in question;
- The leader of the DHI juniors general classification after the event in question;
- The first UCI MTB team of the event in question; UCI MTB Team World Cup Standings
: will be the same as last year.
Riders of the leading UCI MTB team shall be given yellow number plates which must be used during the World Cup. World Cup Start Order Downhill
The start order for the semi-final and the race numbers are determined as follows:
- the general classification of the current world cup for the first 80 men and the first 20 women in that classification.
- For the first event: as per the final individual general classification of the world cup of the preceding season for the first 80 men and the first 20 women in that classification.
- then, as per the last UCI individual classification.
- then by drawing lots for the other riders. World Cup - Start Number Downhill
Riders who submitted a late registration which was approved by the UCI will be allocated the next available highest race number, with the exception of the first 80 men and the first 20 women in the most recent world cup classification for whom the race number will be reserved.
- Permanent season numbers will no be attributed as from 2009 Protections in Downhill/4X
An approved full-face helmet must be worn properly fastened both when racing and when training on the course. The helmet must be fitted with a visor. Open-face helmets may not be worn. Devil Pedals and Disco slippers may not be used
The UCI strongly recommends that riders wear the following protection
Mojo Head Man Chris Porter: No more of this at World Cups.
- back, elbow, knee and shoulder protectors made of rigid materials;
- protection for the nape of the neck and the cervical vertebrae;
- padding on shins and thighs;
- full-length trousers made from rip-resistant material incorporating protection for the knees and calves, or broad-cut shorts made from rip-resistant material plus knee and calf protectors with a rigid surface;
- long sleeved shirt;
- full finger gloves. Clothing in Downhill/4X
All tight-fitting clothing is not permitted. Tyler, does that mean your going to have to upgrade your wardrobe
2009 UCI Mountain Bike - Team Registration
Beginning of November, the 2009 UCI MTB Team registration will be sent by email to the National Federations and the 2008 registered UCI MTB Teams.
UCI MTB teams must submit their application no later than 1 February 2009. At that point, UCI MTB teams shall have until 15 February to submit and complete their registration documents. Applications received after February 1st will not be considered.
Fox 2009 Goggles Now Instock!Okay, hands up, I made the ban on SPD's up