Chausson wins the women's race
-The World Cup is in Minnaar's and Jonnier's hands.
Those who were among the many who defied the rain and cold weather to watch the DH competition in Pila (Italy), certainly weren't disappointed. The show was amazing, with the best DH specialists in the world challenging each others on a hard and slippery run, while the highest mountains around were covered in snow.It turned out to be Samuel Hill's day, who took great risks in technical points but succeeded in leaving Minnaar (the World Cup winner on mathematical terms) behind him. Hill was the last to start, but was already winning at the intermediate checkpoint. On the second part of the race, he pushed even harder and crossed the finish line with the best time (4.15.64) at the unbelievable average speed of 36.61 Km/h. Minnaar had to take the second place, but the World Cup is already in his hands. He "paid" 6.75 and preceded the outsider Brendan Fairclough (GB) who fell during the semi-finals.
Among women, French Anne-Caroline Chausson got her third victory in a row this season. She came down very fast, didn't make any mistakes and registered a splendid 4.52.97, ahead of British Atherton by a slight 3.33.
This was the second last World Cup competition, and South African Greg Minnaar is already champion (1485 points). Hill didn't participate in overseas races, and is in the 2nd place with 795 points, ahead of the also Australian Rennie.
French Jonnier, who got 5th place at Pila, made her advantage larger (1275 p) on British Moseley (1169).
DH – Final Results
1) Hill Samuel (AUS) 4.15.64;
2) Minnaar Greg (RSA) 4.22.39;
3) Fairclough Brendan (GBR) 4.22.94;
4) Vazquez Lopez David (ESP) 4.25.60;
5) Barel Fabien (FRA) 4.25.76;
6) Beaumont Marc (GBR) 4.26.77;
7) Leov Justin (NZL) 4.29.43;
Beggin Alan (ITA) 4.29.62;
9) Peat Steve (GBR) 4.29.92;
10) Berchtold Markolf (BRA) 4.30.70.
1) Chausson Anne –Caroline (FRA) 4.52.97;
2) Atherton Rachel (GBR) 4.56.30;
3) Ragot Emmeline (FRA) 4.59.71;
4) Gaskell Helen (GBR) 5.04.73;
5) Jonnier Sabrina (FRA) 5.06.52;
6) Hagen Scarlett (NZL) 5.07.71;
7) Moseley Tracy (GBR) 5.08.50;
Gros Céline (FRA) 5.12.87;
9) Quin Vanessa (NZL) 5.14.01;
10) Le Caer Nolvenn (FRA) 5.15.36.
DH – World Cup after Pila:
1) Minaar Greg (RSA) points 1485;
2) Hill Samuel (AUS) 795;
3) Renne Nathan (AUS) 720.
1) Jonnier Sabrina (FRA) 1274;
2) Moseley Tracy (GBR) 1169;
3) Atherton Rachel (GBR) 925.