The interior of Andante Bikes, a longtime Florida bike shop, has been destroyed by a fire started by a e-bike battery left unattended, our sister publication Bicycle Retailer reported
The fire started after the shop closed April 9. The culpable bike, shop owner Mauricio Orozco said, was manufactured about two years ago and was sold last December, but was returned by the customer two days later when the battery wouldn't charge. The shop sent the battery to a company in Nevada to be rebuilt. Upon receiving the rebuilt battery, the shop left the battery to charge overnight. Instead of properly charging, it caught fire.
No injuries were reported, but the fire destroyed much of the shop's merchandise, along with the inside of the shop itself.
The shop's insurance does not cover the damage, so Orozco has started a GoFundMe
to rebuild after the massive loss. As of this writing, the fundraiser has raised $11,987 of its $75,000 goal.
Lithium ion batteries can potentially catch fire, experts say, and should not be left unattended while charging. Inexpensive batteries are more likely to pose risks as manufacturing defects are more common than in high-end products.
More information is available about lithium battery safety in this BRAIN article
and this e-bike battery charging guide
An incident report on the Andante Bikes fire is expected to become available Friday.