Nicholi Rogatkin Wins FMB Overall in Chengdu - Replay

Oct 31, 2016
by FMB World Tour

The FMB World Tour has come to a close this weekend with the final Gold Event of the 2016 season. Overall this year, 32 events in 15 nations and on 3 continents hosted more than 300 athletes. For the last time this year athletes dropped into a slopestyle course at FISE Chengdu in China, trying to improve their standings in the FMB World Tour Ranking and secure glory for one last time in 2016. This weekend it was FMB World Champ Nicholi Rogatkin, who impressed a huge crowed and the judges. The American scored 93.66 in the FISE super final, which was just enough to pass Mehdi Gani (FRA, 93.33). That sealed Rogatkin's third win of the season in his tenth appearance on the FMB World Tour in 2016.

12 out of 27 FMB athletes had made it to the FISE Chengdu final and were still in the hunt for the last possible FMB World Tour win this season. As in every FISE contest two runs would decide, who reached the super final, in which the top 6 had one last chance to up their score in a final third run. After the first two runs Mehdi Gani (FRA, 92.33) lead the pack ahead of Pavel Alekhin (RUS, 91.00) and Matt Jones (GBR, 87.66). The super final was completed by Simon Pages (FRA, 85.33), Reed Boggs (USA, 83.33) and Nicholi Rogatkin (USA, 80.00).

Rogatkin

Rogatkin

Rogakin, who blew his tyre on his second run and had to rush to get ready to drop in as the first rider in the super final, had all the pressure on him. The 20-year-old visably went through the motions of what was to be his winning run, before dropping in with his tricks dialled. After a tail-whip of the drop he pulled off a cork 720 and signature cashroll, followed-up with a double whip, tuck-no-hander and frontflip bar spin to finish. His score of 93.66 catapulted him to the top of the leaderboard and turned up the heat for the remaining five competitors still waiting to drop in. After Reed Boggs and Simon Pages were not able to put Nicholi's score in danger it was up to the top 3 going into the super final. Both Matt Jones (incl. double backflip) and Pavel Alekhin (incl. backflip triple bar spin) showed promising runs to begin with, but lost too much speed in the second section of the course and were not able to complete their runs. It was all down to 27-year-old Mehdi Gani. The Frenchman showed a stellar run including a backflip triple bar spin and double truck driver and was rightly stoked when hitting the finishing area with a frontflip tuck-no-hander. The wait for the final score of the day was intense, but Rogatkin was relieved as Mehdi Gani came just 00.33 short in the last run of the 2016 FMB World Tour season. Nicholi was herewith able to add FISE Chengdu to his list of wins this season after Swatch Prime Line and Swatch Rocket Air.

FISE Chengdu Podium:

Nicholi Rogatkin (USA) - 93.66 points
Mehdi Gani (FRA) - 93.33 points
Pavel Alekhin (RUS) - 91.00 points

FMB Overall:
Nicholi Rogatkin (USA) 2400 points
Brett Rheeder (CAN) 2300 points
MAX Fredriksson (SWE) 2252 points

Full series standings here.

MENTIONS: @fise / @FMBA

Posted In:
Videos

I'd rather watch Brandon Semenuk do turn downs all day then see Nicoli Brothatkid do 1080 flairs without a visor.
flag Donodh (Oct 31, 2016 at 8:05) (Below Threshold)
 Id rather eat ass than watch rogatkin ride
 @Donodh: I'd rather eat ass than do a lot of things
 @Jimmy0: Amen
flag Ziph (Oct 31, 2016 at 9:29) (Below Threshold)
 @Donodh: and I thought it was just me who thinks rogatkin is a bit of schmuck! Can't put my finger on it exactly, just know I want to punch him in the face.
flag fracasnoxteam (Oct 31, 2016 at 9:39) (Below Threshold)
 I'd rather watch Voreis riding any trail than Rogatkin doing any of his "Playstation oh that was close this time again" trick. (Trolling a little bit, he does nice things too)
flag Kramz (Oct 31, 2016 at 9:47) (Below Threshold)
 Rogatkin is insane, I wish he was Canadian so I could cheer for him.
 yeah, screw Rogattkin, who the hell does he think he is, going to all these events all over the world, constantly putting on a show for the crowds no matter what, spending time posting on media for all his sponsors and fans to see, always progressing, being happy, smiling .. yeah .. what a loser eh!!!!! .. much rather see the reclusive Semenuk grace us with his almighty presence once or twice, maybe, if we are VERY good people, maybe three times year .. ooh .. yeah Rogatkin .. yeah .. !!!! .... jeez, some people!!! As for eating ASS .. yeah ,,
 Rogatkin's a f'n boss. Kid's technical skill is insane. Not getting an invite to rampage was a joke. No chance this kid wasn't dropping in.
 Rogatkin is rep'n the mtb scene better than just about anybody else. Alway positive, having fun. Taking a huge fall at Rampage last year and getting up to finish the run. He doesnt make excuses or apologize..... he just kills it
 @SirWonky: totally agree with you ! he´s really tough guy and that´s what I appreciate about him ! He has super badass tricks !
flag chyu (Oct 31, 2016 at 17:01) (Below Threshold)
 Semen doesn't have to carry all the pressure on him to prevent a flat.
 @chyu: I'm pretty sure that nickname will never, ever catch on.
 I LOVE watching Nicoli ride and hope he doesn't read some these douchy trolling comments. The guy obviously works hard and IMO is always exciting to watch. That cash roll he nails every time is so clean and unique. I'm thankful we have a variety of personalities and styles in this sport.
 @Donodh @Ziph

To all you haters:

He actually seems like a pretty neat guy in person (only talked with him a few times thus far, seems alright in my book). Has a work ethic like none other, just like all the other guys who are really damn good at this 'freeride biking' thingy. We see him ripping laps down the slope course at Highland all the time.
 @LindLTaylor: It was a joke lol, I would assume he would be a pretty cool guy in person
 @sayitlikejohn Well that's good, because that's all you got too see from Semenuk at Joyride. You know, why put a whole run together for the fans when you know you won't win because you slipped a pedal at the start of your run? Oh, I know, because you're a drama queen. On the other hand, Rogatkin goes all over the world competing in these events and having fun whist putting on a show for the fans because he loves to ride and is one of the best there is.

Congrats on the win Rogatkin and thanks for being a great ambassador of the sport!
flag Hyperx (Nov 1, 2016 at 1:29) (Below Threshold)
 @lobohusky: lol, he didn't have enough speed, not only slipped a pedal. And he did only flipwhip, I guess it could be flipwhip to bar.
Drama queen? Is Semenuk running and screaming after every f*cking run on every contest?
Oh, wait...it's Rogatkin.
but yeah, Nicholi competing in so much contest(and congrats him to winning fmb),but his runs are so predictable and boring. And Semenuk Joyride run is like Christmas time.
 Yes. Some like, some don't. Life
 @LindLTaylor: Amen brother. I'd like to add, Semenuk is clearly one of the sickest riders we've seen in a long time. What ever sport needs are guys that will progress the sport and guys that will represent the sport. I do feel Rogatkin does both very well. Could you please put on a visor please Rogatkin?
 @cmkneeland: my exact sentiments. You no drop, you no get no more invites. Im sure everyone's shitting their pants. Thats kinda the point
 Says the dude with a visor-less bucket on....
flag Ziph (Nov 1, 2016 at 8:18) (Below Threshold)
 @dirtdiggler: all true, sure he works hard but it's the same tricks at every comp. Boring! imo he's also not got the steeze factor like so many other riders. He just stomps big banger tricks.Downvote all you want it's just my personal opinion.
flag Kirky86 (Nov 1, 2016 at 15:04) (Below Threshold)
 @Ziph: Pretty much bang on man. Foam-pit generation.
 Enjoy your rudimentary world of mediocrity then. At least Rogue does the things he does that NO ONE ELSE does for those of us that understand how the boredom of a turndown will never, EVER compete with this kid
 I'm happy for him. Total stand up dude with a great attitude. He puts on a show for the crowd and doesn't throw tantrums when things don't go as planned. As a parent I appreciate that he wears as much protection as he does. He's my go to argument when my kid complains about pads not being "cool".
Congrats Nicholi!
 the fmb world tour title is funny because a few of the top guys don't go to a lot of the events. which unfortunately weakens the title a bit to me. not to take away from how gnarly some of these moves are.
flag scott-townes (Oct 31, 2016 at 7:26) (Below Threshold)
 It doesn't weaken it at all I feel. If people want to compete they can, if they don't then it doesn't matter. It doesn't matter if they're viewed as a top rider by fans because the only way to be the best is to show up and throw down. Let's not take away from all the seriously talented dudes who do show up to compete (too bad... kinda? I think? that Rheeder was at Rampage instead).

It would be like saying, "oh it wasn't much of a win this year because the weather was bad or so and so had bad luck on both runs". Its all part of the game.
 FMB title = all diamond events+1 result from gold,not summary from all events (like in 2013,when pilgrim just ride pretty much all contests and win).
 @Hyperx: Haha yep, that's exactly what I's shit on for say'n. Pilgrim won that year only because Sem didn't bother. The new setup is much better IMO.
 it's not even SLOPEstyle...
 Watch out your going to be called a racist..
 @Beez177: dj lives matter
 Did you just assume the gender identity of this mountain bike competition?...
 Look at bizet's latest post on instagram . Definitly some changes needed in some slopestyle events. The fise course in edmonton was also not the greatest. Need to be more like fest. For the riders
 Nicolas Stomped it!!!! Really friendly in person too!
 His tricks are insane, good to see him up top. What is bothering me though is the lack of variety. He tends to always throw a tailwhip on the first jump then his two big rotations on the biggest trickable jumps, then tailwhips again and frontflip. I would love to see him throw more 360 variations etc... More exotic tricks.
 by the bottom the poor guy is probably too dizzy to spin haha
 More exotic, like bars bars bars 'cuz no one else does that. Yeah, jus' too many peeps doin' cashrolls these days. :/
 can anybody explain to me why this event happens in Chengdu? Just curious, after scrolling through the rider list there doesn't seem to be a single Chinese athlete. Is there just a huge fanbase in China? Or am I missing something?
 I wish these events got the coverage they used to. I know Enduro is the flavor of the moment, and I LOVE the race coverage, but I think this is an important part of our sport too. DJ bikes at small jump parks and pump tracks are one of the best ways to get into mountain biking. DJ bikes happen to be some of the most affordable and least impacted by changing standards. Maybe that's why they've fallen out of favor with the industry and media? I know the industry and media cater to the consumers, but they influence consumers too.
 I feel like dj gets as much coverage as it always has (at least as related to the events). There are just a lot more events and some of them don't get the coverage.

Also pinkbike seems to cater toward trail and downhill riding. Other sites put much more focus on djs (vital, psbmx, etc)
 @adrennan: I've been on Pinkbike for a good ten or eleven years, and there's been a definite shift away from freeride, downhill, and DJ. But there's been an industry shift too.
 I've seen that shift too, and in fact about a week ago I posted a comment saying that it would be nice if they started doing dj bike reviews instead of the constant enduro and downhill bike.
 Like it or love it, who cares! I'd like to see any of the haters try to throw down the way these guys do!
 Good on him. Just reward for spreading MTV across the world and constantly putting on a show for the love of the sport instead of hiding in his own little bubble like some
 Hell yeah Rogatkin! The guy is great on and off of the bike!
 Rogatkin is fucking insane! Still that last run that Gani did had me on my feet. I wish he would have been able to put it together. I think he would have toppled Rogatkin had he finished as awesome as Rogatkin's run was.
 Judges optometrist appointment missed, wish these announcers would have shouted out Greg Watts...... Tons of love and respect to the riders for dealing with adversity like gentlemen.
 I´m so confused, coming into this competition, Tomas Lemoine has a total of 15400ps, but you get 9000ps for the win at this event..so crankworx and more or less the season up to this point doesnt matter?
 Yeah boy! The Peakless Wonder has been laying it down all year, fair shout!
 SKRT! First time I watched Nicholi was in this edit, and that must have been 6 or so years a go.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDOPaE4bqY0
 Faaaaaawk the Hater's! That shit is tight...no ass eating necessary.
 "Nicholi was herewith able". Who let that past editing?
 Im sure the editor will edit, but you spelled his name wrong
 Theres some fugly buildings there...proly half empty too.
 You think China can afford to have half empty living spaces? Maybe the houses they buy in Vancouver.
 @triptex: china has many vacant "cities".
 dj isn't fickle..it gets love wherever it can find it.
 Nicholi Brothatkid