Norco Releases New Budget-Friendly Fluid FS

Sep 27, 2018
by Norco Bicycles

PRESS RELEASE: Norco Bicycles

We are proud to introduce the completely redesigned, next-generation Fluid Full Suspension. As a staple in our lineup since 2002, it was time to go back to the drawing board and elevate the Fluid FS to an even more capable trail bike that can tackle anything from perfect ribbons of singletrack and mossy rock slabs to slick, technical roots with ease. With its confidence-inspiring geometry, playful ride handling, incredible suspension feel, and unmatched fun factor, the Fluid FS will take your trail riding experience to the next level.

Starting with a clean slate, we set out to create our new favourite, no-compromise trail bike. The geometry of the Fluid FS is engineered to achieve a well-balanced ride for both climbing and descending. A longer reach and steeper seat angle create a more forward riding position, keeping you centered on the bike and putting you in an efficient pedalling position. This allows you to punch up climbs effortlessly while having the grip and control to stick your lines and push into corners confidently.

The Fluid’s 130mm front and 120mm rear suspension were tuned to get the most out of the latest generation of shocks and forks, offering increased traction and control when needed. The bike’s playful and precise personality makes you want to hit every trail and corner over and over again while having the ability to get out of trouble when things go sideways. To get the most out of your Fluid FS, the bike also comes with a comprehensive suspension setup guide that allows riders to set up their bike quickly and efficiently based on their weight, terrain and personal preference.

The lightweight and durable double-butted aluminum frame features size-scaled tubing to maintain the same stiffness and ride quality across all frame sizes. This allows us to provide the handling characteristics we intended for, delivering a responsive and playful trail riding experience for everyone. Thru-axle dropouts provide increased stiffness for a responsive ride feel and snappy handling that will make you want to go for that extra ride at the end of the day.

For more details visit www.norco.com/2019FluidFS/

MENTIONS: @norcobicycles

Jill is such a fantastic rider and ambassador for the sport. I love how norco has differnet tuning thickness for different size frames. That cant be cheap to do, but it sure benefits the rider. I also love how they have longer xhainstays for larger size bikes on a lot of their models. I just wish more of my local dealers stocked norcos. They're fantastic bikes
 If the chainstay gets longer does that mean there's more travel?!?! ILLUMINATI IS WATCHING YOU
 @Tmackstab: In a word, "yes"...longer lever arm and science and stuff...

However, and I don't know if this is true for the Norco bikes, but they can also be adjusting other things such as pivot location, even by a few mm, to reign back in all that extra 3mm of travel Razz

It is good though that they change the rear center lengths so those with longer legs don't end up with their pooper shooter positioned over the rear derailleur when seated
 I've noticed Norco's chainstay lengths being longer in larger sizes in the past, too. However, strangely, look at the geo chart above for this bike...the chainstay length actually *decreases* by 2mm in the larger sizes...while having larger wheels! ???
 @tmargeson: total speculation: but it may be the same chainstay assembly for either size wheel. The 29" sizes have more BB drop. With a given pivot placement, this could decrease the CS length slightly.
 @tmargeson: yes, this is one if their few models where chainstay length doesnt change based on frame size.
 Norco is definitely doing some cool things. And it's always a joy to watch Jill ride ????
 There's no "Gravity Tune" at this pricepoint, so the chainstays have one length only and it's obviously based on wheel size since they are different for 650B Vs. 29. This bike is a lot bang for the buck but it does have to stop somewhere. That said, for the beginner/novice/intermediate, I think this is an amazing ride.
 Frame Size: M L XL
Front Centre: 743 777 811
Reach: 440 470 500
Stack: 603 612 621
Stand Over: 778 773 768
Crank Length: 175 175 175
Stem Length: 40 40 40
 Never seen a bike like that before. The designers and engineers really went all out on this fresh new concept.
flag endurocat (Sep 27, 2018 at 8:15) (Below Threshold)
 @ShempHoward: Size medium is only available 29 wheels. I wouldn't call that a fresh concept.
More like a Marketing concept
 @endurocat: Medium is available in either 650b or 29er.
flag duzzi (Sep 27, 2018 at 8:59) (Below Threshold)
 Wow! a 74.5 seat angle!!!!! That will transform your ride and make you go uphill effortlessly!!!!!
flag endurocat (Sep 27, 2018 at 9:12) (Below Threshold)
 Only on higher end models
 @endurocat: I did. Click on 27.5" and it gives three frame size options: XS, S, M. Click on 29": M, L, XL
flag endurocat (Sep 27, 2018 at 9:19) (Below Threshold)
 @dangerousdave: Only on the $3,000 model
 @Brdjanin Looks like we had some computer gremlins this morning... Correct geo is posted above
 @duzzi: Sorry about your luck. It's actually 76 Wink
 @brdjanin @duzzi: seat angle is 76° actually!

what turns my head is fact 29" version has shorter chainstays by 2mm than 27.5
 @AspidMan: That 2mm is all the difference on Wheelie Wednesdays.
 @norcobicycles: No, those are wrong as well... compared with what's on your website, most of that is off.
 @islandforlife: looks right to me!
 @dastone: This is what was posted in the comment:
Travel (mm front/mm rear): 130/120 130/120 130/120
Front Centre: 743 777 811
Reach: 440 470 500
Stack: 603 612 621
Stand Over: 778 773 768
Crank Length: 175 175 175
Stem Length: 40 40 40

And this is copy/pasted from their site:
Travel (mm front/mm rear): 130/120 130/120 130/120
Front Centre: 743 777 811
Reach: 440 470 500
Stack: 603 612 621
Stand Over: 760 770 780
Crank Length: 175 175 175
Stem Length: 50 50 50
 @islandforlife: the website is probably accurate now considering that it looks like it was updated three hours ago. Plus it matches the geo image in this press release above. Brdjanin's comment was posted before the update.
 @norcobicycles: I like a 74/75 eff seat angle. Especially for a bike like this that isn't designed around big mountain climbing. When you're pedaling undulating or flat trails you don't want a super steep seat angle...it just puts you right over top of the pedals.
flag ShempHoward (Sep 27, 2018 at 23:34) (Below Threshold)
 @norcobicycles: Imagine if you guys grew a pair and developed the next suspension platform , patent it and everyone wants to buy it. Then it trickles through your whole line up. Seems simple logic to me but I'm not Canadian. Sorry for your luck.
 Tons of bike for the money!!
 Douche guy friends: You ride like a girl
Me: . ....................... Thank you!
 Guy le douche!
 "We firmly believe that high performance should not be restricted to high price tags. That’s why the Fluid FS is available in eight models and two wheel sizes, including four with women’s specific touch points, ranging from $1,999 to $3,599 CAD. A no-compromise component selection at all price points brings performance to Fluid FS riders of all levels. Featuring dropper posts, reliable 1x drivetrains, and tubeless compatible 2.6” tires for maximum traction and control, the Fluid FS is ready for the trails you know and the ones you have yet to explore." Wow. Droppers, 1x, good tires and rims standard across the range. So converting that CAD to USD, the Norco USA site says $1,649 msrp (1534 straight conversion) for a base level Fluid FS 4 with TransX dropper, Deore M6000 1x10 drivetrain, WTB i29's, and Suntour XCR34 Air fork and XFusion shock. Bravo Norco. Not bad, not bad. On a side note, please make that awesome blue on the 2 Womens more widely available! Smile
 Sam and Jill = King and Queen of Crankworx. + Aurum HSP. Now this. Good year for Norco.
 Thank you for an honest review with out over used phrases like aggressive handeling or climbs like a mountain goat. Norco makes affordable bikes that work. This Fluid looks like a fun trail bike.
 People act like they’ve never seen a trail bike before!
 Y'all act like you never seen a trail bike before
Jaws all on the floor like Sam and Henry just burst through the forest
Started boostin' big gaps on the north shore, roostin' the corners
throwin' tables flatter than furniture.
It's the bike of the... "Oh wait, no way, your kidding,
Norco didn't just build what I think they did, did they?"
And PB haters said: "Stop it you idiots short-travel's dead, Enduro replaced it" (ha ha)
Many fast women love Horst systems, "clicka clicka clicka I'm shifting gears
smashin' hills, climbin' around, no flex in this BB shell,
Givin' these corners hell (yeah, still so efficient though)"
Your old bike's probably got a couple of screws around the headset loose
But no worse than what's up for sale in the buy and sell, dude.
Sometimes I want to write a mean comment and just let loose, but can't,
But it's cool to sell an "ex-rental" bike as 'barely used'!?
Aaugh!
That ancient carbon's chipped! It's flexy and un-hip,
For the price of a beat up Rocky you'll be rockin' a new whip.
And that's the mantra Norco delivers to all you kids,
You don't need to re-mortgage to afford some modern kit.
 @dkidd: unfortunately i can only give you one upvote
 I love me some trail bikes. Because I only ride trail. Perhaps not as rad as only riding park, but trail is the ONLY thing that I only ride.
 Picked up and Optic this year. Loving it - my intentions were a bike that could be raced but still fun as hell on the trail. It hits that mark. I ended up throwing a remote on the rear shock, when I glanced at this bike I thought for sure they went that way but no, it's just upside down. Does this take the place of the Optic?
 Glad you're loving your Optic! Don't worry, though, it still has a place in our lineup- there are many, many other people who love the Optic for the same reasons you do!
 $1649 full suspension bike? you gotta be joking my ass
 Had a peek at it on the site, it looks like a really nice bike for the price,but it must weight around 35lbs or more.
 @nozes: A 35lbs bike is better than no bike
 @nozes: Hell my 5k bike weighs 35.5 lbs and I love my bike
flag ShempHoward (Sep 27, 2018 at 8:11) (Below Threshold)
 120mm is for slope style or xc. Sure any bike can be whipped around some groomed trails, hell I would hit that whole trail on my 20". This radical completely new design ( shock upside down) is way too heavy.
 @daugherd: Any bike is better than no bike, but this looks really good for the money. Props to Norco for hitting this pricepoint with such a good looking rig.
Now how about a review,PB??
 @ShempHoward: Sendy McSenderson
 @underhawk: Love it or love it crumb bumb
 @ShempHoward: nah jerry, i hate it. it's "bum" btw. Fab
 @underhawk: bumb as in bumb waldo
 Had a 2015 and loved it, but sold it because it wasn't slack enough and had 135 QR. This might bring me back to the fold... but why only a 29" in large? I don't care how popular it's getting, I don't want to ride clown wheels.
 I love my Norco, and imagine this will be a good budget option too. But...... it would be nice if in the video Jill was riding a factory available bike not one with upgraded, fork, shock, bars, dropper post, wheels, and brakes. Maybe they mention it somewhere, but hardly a fair portrayal of the bikes abilities.
 unfortunately, she has sponsors and she's got to represent
 @chris: hadn’t thought of that good point but still something to think about.
 I understand the benefits of the shock being upside down but that makes it nearly impossible to flip the climb/lockout switch while riding...
 Just mount it the other way.
 yeah, the only reason to do that is remote duty.
 Bottle clearance is another reason.
 Uhh... No fluid models come with lockouts so you don't need to worry. They pedal amazingly well without it though.
flag Svinyard (Sep 27, 2018 at 15:09) (Below Threshold)
 @j-t-g: not true. Even on a DWlink it's nice to lock out on a fire road. Super nice for the pump track or certain jump lines too.
 Good on Norco, although I must say, Diamondback still has size L Clutch 1's for $1,519, but that's a limited time/quantity thing... this still looks pretty solid.
 I know this is a ladies bike (I think right?) but as a tall guy they nailed the XL sizing. Reach is 500, CS is 429 and....the wheelbase is only 1238! I like the longer reach bikes like everyone but when you get to the XL, most (Ripmo, Sb150, etc) the wheelbase is just too long for a daily drive. I just don't need it. Just because I'm a bigger guy doesn't mean the trails are getting wider to accommodate my long-ass bike. I like how they compromised here a bit.
 This is definitely not a ladies bike. They just chose a female athlete to ride it because (it's 2018 and) Jill is a badass.
Norco do make 4 women's versions of the bike though, with slightly different spec.
 @dkidd: Cool, that makes sense. Jill is great. I watched her brake down some S turns the other day when I was hunting for tips. Super helpful. I think sometimes ladies are a bit more thoughtful about technique than some of the dudes who "I just lean it over it and rip that turn...I don't really think about it".
 Refreshing to hear a tall rider say that. Everyone seems to be all over massive bikes and I’m over here like, I can’t get that thing down our trails! I actually started to downsize a bit lately...I’m remembering skills I had from before I started riding bikes that were basically too big for me lol
But yeah I agree, Norco have some good ideas for bike fit that don’t get as much recognition as they should.
 I think the shorter wheelbase vs the others you mentioned is a product of a shorter fork. And frankly, I used to be skeptical about longer wheelbases for daily riding, but my Ripmo is way more agile than the numbers would have led me to believe, and I’m in the XL which is really long (barely fits in my 6.5’ pickup bed). It feels quicker in the turns to me than the Evil Wreckoning I tried that had a much shorter wheelbase. My XC bike I planned on using more for more xc rides now gathers dust, because my Ripmo is way more fun even on the easier trails than I thought it would be. I’m sure the new Yeti, the Orbea Rallon, and Scott Ransom (all with similar geometry) would all be quicker than you think.

No doubt that this Norco will be a great short travel trail bike. Personally, I’d rather see a SA at least as steep as 75.5 after riding a steeper SA bike, but maybe that’s not for everyone. With a shorter stack height from a shorter fork, you don’t need crazy steep SAs to keep the front end down. But, I’d think a 74.5 would be more suited to a bike with 100mm fork. I think a steeper SA would let you run shorter stems without front wheel flop and would benefit the character of this ride. All that said, I have really liked the Norcos I’ve ridden and would love to get a spin on this rig and not just armchair the geometry.
 @whambat: see above comment thread, it's actually a 76° STA.
 @whambat: I'm fine with their agility. They've done a good job at that relatively. Its just the physics of getting a longer "anything" around a tight corner. Like a length of lumber around the corner in a house. There is no getting away from the dynamic that length will always hinder that. Personally these 29ers are stable enough already to not need that length as well (like the 1257mm-ish length XL yeti, ripmo etc).
 The seat-tube is still soooo short for a XL. 490?? I'd snap this seat-post and maybe even the corresponding seat-tube right off after enough time. I know because I've done it before on other bikes.

When will manufacturers learn that cyclists looking for XL-sized frames want seat-tubes made with adequate length, support and strength?
 @gdharries: wow... What are you doing to your seat?? For anything gnarly I'm always out of the seat.
 @Svinyard: Riding up hills. Riding on flat stretches. That sort of thing. Seat goes down for descents, but it stays up for actual pedalling. That repeated motion - the subtle back and forth over and over again - breaks stuff.
 @gdharries: Maybe if you're a tall guy then you might want to run a 170-200mm dropper?
 @AlbertInBC: Same problem. Then I just have a giant lever seesawing back and forth, wearing out the frame until it snaps. Having more seat-tube means I have more support underneath me.

This is not to take away from what Norco has built here. Norco is one of my favourite brands, I have their Torrent HT bike. They make a lot of great stuff at affordable prices.

I simply wish more manufacturers would take notice of how cyclists at either end of the spectrum - overly tall or overly short - have different needs than everyone else in the middle.
 @gdharries: Have you ever snapped a Norco seat-tube from running a seatpost within the minimum-insertion limit?
 @dkidd: No, but I've broken both a Santa Cruz and a Rocky Mountain. I've also bent enough seat posts to know to stay away from the high-end stuff. Big, strong, cheap and heavy is better than the alternative, which is walking out of the forest with your leg ripped wide open and your saddle in your hand. Been there. It sucks.

Most mountain bike manufacturers sell frames with a 520-530 mm seat tube, max. There's a lot of us who could easily use another 50-100 mm (or more) in the frame itself.
 @dastone: well then, I correct myself. I think they nailed it. I went off the original geo post with the wrong geo.
 @norcobicycles the new geometry looks absolutely dialed!! Any chance we're going to see the same geometry updates applied to the Sight models anytime soon?
 The spec implies that Maxxis has finally managed to start producing a 29x2.6 Forekaster... Interesting.
 Just think of what the end-of-year clearance price would be on a FS bike with an MSRP of $1600! Drool
 Looks like a 32er
 Can't wait for that schmozz, having the only 32" bike in the world.
 Why make this a smaller bike? I have a Fluid from 2012 with 150/140 and it currently rips trail just fine..
 Fwiw I'm with you. I ride a 140/150 RM Instinct and never once wish for shorter travel, even on smooth days. My buddy and I swapped from his DWlink Pivot Trail 429 (amazing climber) and he loved the Instinct efficiency. Then he sold the Trail and bought a Switchblade and loves it. Suspension is just too good in these new bikes to need a short travel trail bike. Even my 6yro 1st grader will eat up 120mm of travel on a good huck. The gains just don't outweigh the benefits of extra travel (again which is even better).
 We're at a point with modern suspension and geometry where you don't necessarily need a 150mm fork to shred any more. If you could make a bike do more with less, wouldn't that be the ideal?
 Because 130mm is the Sight 29, and 150mm is the Range 29. Maybe you need a 139.99mm bike?

I feel this has been built to remain budget friendly but still very capable on the trails, basically following the mold of the Fluid for the past 5 years.
 @dkidd: why? i'd rather have more than less, guess that makes me weird.
 @laxguy: then the Sight or Range would be for you. They haven't removed your old bike, just called it something different
 I’m no Scout but that looks remarkably like...
 ... a bike with a decent pedalling linkage?
 @dkidd: yes
 A bike with reasonable tire clearance?
 An optic with an upside down shock?