Video & Photo Story: Claudio Caluori Rides 12 Hours & 13,500 Vertical Meters of eMTB

Aug 13, 2020
by Velosolutions Global

Monday 10 August, Claudio attempted his own version of everesting: The Keneveresting in Laax, Switzerland with the initial aim to climb the Crap Sogn Gion and descend the Never End Trail 8 times in 8 hours with his Kenevo. But then, Claudio wanted more.

The Crap Sogn Gion is the main mountain of the famous ski resort of Laax and the Never End Trail is the infamous, brutally long Downhill track which Claudio won his first Swiss National Downhill title on in 1999.

Keeping the pace high on both the uphill as well as the downhill Photographer Dominik Bosshard

First climb at 6 20 Photographer Dominik Bosshard

8 runs, 8 hours was the initial goal, but the 6:00 am start saw Claudio head out for a total of 11 hours and 23 mins with a total of 12 downhill runs on the Never End Trail and 12 climbs of 8kms and 1125 vertical meters each.

His 12th run finished at 17:23, making it a total of 3 hours of pure downhill and 7 hours of climbing in one day and a total of 13500 vertical meters of climbing and descending as well as covering over 180km in total distance.

The amount of vertical climb would have taken him to the Stratosphere!

Quick facts:

Start: 06:00h
Finish 17:23h
Total time: 11h 23min
12 downhill runs on the Never End Trail
12 climbs of ca. 8km and 1125 vertical meters
3h of pure downhill in one day.
7 hours of pure climbing in one day
13500 vertical meters of climbing and descending.
Downhill runs were between 14 and 15 minutes each.
Climbing time was between 33 to 38 minutes per run.
Climb number 1 and 12 were the fastest!
An average of 8 minutes per pit stop: battery swap, bike check, food and drinks.
ZERO mechanicals or problems with the #Kenevo.
A total of 200 jumps throughout the day.

Team celebration Photographer Dominik Bosshard

Big thanks to an incredible team that made the day run like clockwork and to all who donated to #pumpforpeace for feeding schemes around existing tracks and the next #pumpforpeace projects.

Next up is the Swiss Epic kicking off on 17 August where Claudio will take his Kenevo and GoPros to follow Tumelo Makae and Cherie Redecker as they ride for #pumpforpeace in the premier 5-day stage race.

#keneveresting #eeveresting #neverresting
Leaning in as if it was the Swiss Downhill Championships in 1999 Photographer Dominik Bosshard

Loving the jumps every single run Photographer Dominik Bosshard

Keneveresting - photo Dominik Bosshard

Keneveresting - photo Dominik Bosshard

Keneveresting photo Danis Karamichailidis

Keneveresting - photo Dominik Bosshard

Keneveresting - photo Dominik Bosshard

keneveresting phot by Dominik Bosshard

• 62 6
 doing that much descent with sram brakes is the real achievement
  • 7 9
 Could have done it with Shimano if he preferred the bite point to change with every squeeze of the lever.
  • 1 1
 @tcmtnbikr: I don't get this critique for shimano brakes. I've ridden multiple sram brakes and if ridden hard their bite point behaviour was absymal. If you didn't bleed them multiple times for hours you suddenly ended up with no or mushy bite point. Same for magura: if you don't bleed them perfectly the bite point and braking power are shit. Shimanos can be bled sloppy and still work except for having the bike upside down or on the side but then you just pump a few times and bite point is rock solid again.

What I have with all brakes tho, be it magura, sram or shimano: if you ride them hard in the alps over many hundres of steep height meters the pads just wear down so fast that you have re-regulate the lever reach from time to time.

But now I'm using Shigura with XT-Levers and MT5-pistons plus Putonline oil, which is the best value for money brake out there.
  • 50 10
 If you don't want to see e-bike related content on PB you can easily change it in the settings, it's better then bitching around in the comments
  • 6 10
flag danimaniac (Aug 13, 2020 at 0:52) (Below Threshold)
 how and where?
  • 6 3
 @brianpark: thank you so much.
  • 29 34
flag chriskneeland (Aug 13, 2020 at 2:48) (Below Threshold)
 @danimaniac: Content so embarrassing, PB gives you the option to never have to see it again.
  • 4 2
 Done
  • 2 13
flag monkeybizz (Aug 13, 2020 at 6:49) (Below Threshold)
 @chriskneeland: They should have a button for pb quality content but then I wouldn't have any articles in my feed except for Semenuk and whatever Jesse Melamed is putting out these days (and that sick fire edit)
  • 11 2
 @chriskneeland: yet here you are in the comments anyway....

hey @Pinkbike can we get a user filter instead of a content filter going forward?
  • 8 0
 @Mayytsville: no doubt. I been looking for my chriskneeland filter forever, but for the love of God I can't find it anywhere!
  • 4 1
 You're missing the point. It's that the haters don't want ANYONE to read about ebikes.
  • 3 0
 @joeking: you must be joeking
  • 3 0
 So glad Pinkbike is enabling its users to stay in their information bubbles!
  • 60 26
 So much hate!! I don't have an ebike and have never ridden one, but climbing that much vertical is still a massive effort. It's assisted pedalling, it's not a moped!! Well done Claudio!
  • 45 49
flag sailor74 (Aug 13, 2020 at 0:40) (Below Threshold)
 if you had tried one you would know that pedal assist can actually mean pretty much zero effort depending on the level of assist you program into the bike.
  • 19 32
flag danimaniac (Aug 13, 2020 at 0:42) (Below Threshold)
 @sailor74: @Davec85:
what the sailor says! Without knowing how many pitstops incl. battery swap he did, how much energey was given by the batteries, how much assistance he had I'd assume the uphill was a breeze, time to recover from jumping downhill.
  • 43 11
 @danimaniac: What does it matter though? He still went out there and spent more than 11 hours going up and down a hill. 3 hours of descending will take its toll, and regardless of how much assist he has used, he still had to spin the pedals and sit on a saddle for 7 hours going back up.
  • 7 11
flag danimaniac (Aug 13, 2020 at 1:41) (Below Threshold)
 @Davec85: yes Dave. I never said otherwise.
  • 7 2
 @danimaniac: velo solutions commented below saying half a battery per run. Even with a 700wh battery, that's a lot of climbing, I'm gonna guess he was in eco/trail for the most part, in eco with a 504wh battery I can get about 1300m of climbing (I'm a fat bastard though), so to get almost double that is pretty damn good, would also depend on gradient, but 1125m over 8km isn't flat.
  • 24 8
 @sailor74: Still more effort than riding a chairlift or a truck up to the top. Nobody who actually owns an ebike, which sounds like you don't, uses boost mode for anything except a road portion at the end of the ride. I've done 5,500 ft of climb/descend in 3.5 hours using trail and eco and it was much more effort than 5 bike park runs, or a 3,000ft backcountry day on an analog.
  • 9 15
flag flowisforpussies (Aug 13, 2020 at 4:49) (Below Threshold)
 @sailor74: You're right! I have respect and sympathy for Claudio, bun any vertical climb record on a ebike has no meaning but marketing
  • 4 8
flag sailor74 (Aug 13, 2020 at 5:48) (Below Threshold)
 @coletrane-mtb: actually there is an e-bike in the house so i am speaking from experience. relative to a normal bike its a walk in the park. the difference between a 500 and 700w battery is huge. we get around 120km out of a 500w on minimal assistance, but 120 miles out of a 700w.
all this BS about 'its just as hard a workout'....like for like no it isnt. you cant compare different rides on different bikes as if they are the same thing.
anyway, my objection is not e-bikes per se, as i said we have one at home and very much enjoy it, it is the marketing and outright misguidance around them.
nobody is going to buy multiple batteries to do the same thing, and if you believe the emtb press they are all faster/better than any other genre of bike, i even saw one video of 'ebike is faster than a DH bike with the motor switched off'"
its obviously just me but 'guy rode up a hill with the help of a motor and multiple batteries' doesnt really do it for me. however, 'new battery design allows guy to ride up hill multiple times' would be a better place to be coming from.
  • 4 7
 en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moped Notice the pedals on there lol
  • 10 6
 @coletrane-mtb: Erm, not sure I agree with you. Most people I know with ebikes (myself included) run the ebike mostly in boost, it's kind of the point of having an ebike, if I wanted to ride my ebike in eco everywhere I'd just ride my mtb.

I like being able to do 2,000m in 2hours but it's certainly not for the workout...I did 4,000m the other day on my mtb and I'm willing to bet that that was more work than Claudio riding 13,500m on an ebike.
  • 8 2
 I love my ebike and do most of my riding in eco, which makes it a hair easier then my 29lb Giant. I get 4 to 5 rides on one charge riding with regular bikes on group rides. At 62, it's time for a little help to keep me loving my sport..
  • 5 5
 @mbiker35: At 62 you deserve it! This is why ebikes were made. To help people continue biking long after they need to stop because of age/health issues
  • 6 1
 @ali-chapple: I actually almost never ride in boost and neither does the 6 people I know who ride ebikes with me. We only use boost for steep hills. Eco and trail keep it fun and a make for a great workout. Try and remember not everyone has an ebike as well as a regular bike so keeping the ebike in eco gives us the closest equivalent workout.
  • 4 10
flag Endosch2 (Aug 13, 2020 at 12:36) (Below Threshold)
 @Davec85:
It matters because there are plenty of others who have everested on mountain bikes under their own power who have better stories to tell than marketing to people who like motor bike stunts.
  • 5 8
 @ali-chapple: if every ebiker had your understanding, the world would be a better place.
  • 26 0
 NOT HAPPY!!

If I go riding for 12 hours I get bloody earache off the Mrs

Oh but when Claudio does it he's met with fine chicks, champange in hand and bloody pat on the back!!!

:-D
  • 41 13
 Anyone who thinks that would be easy is a moron..
  • 17 23
flag monkeybizz (Aug 13, 2020 at 6:39) (Below Threshold)
 same could be said about people who own ebikes thinking it's a real bike Wink
  • 6 4
 Depends on your interpretation of easy. I wouldn't put in the "front page" category of difficult. Down vote away......
  • 25 2
 He's have done it quicker if he'd trained with his brother
  • 4 0
 Daaaaang. That's the deepest burn I've ever heard.
  • 13 1
 hahaaaaaaahahahaha!!!!! Best comment of all times, thank you!
  • 3 0
 @claudiocaluori: I remember when I posted the question on your ask me anything feature- still laughing 3 years later
  • 12 3
 I rode my mates one of those Specialized bikes, omg on boost mode that is something else, I know what Nino feels like now on the climbs.
What a machine, so much torque and power, I could wheel spin the bike up steep climbs and climb incredibly steep stuff, the geometry isnt quite there for how steep it can climb, steeper seat tube needed or a weight on the front end to keep it down Smile

Anyone who knocks this, go try it, I would bet it was still a challenge.
  • 10 0
 Impressive. How many batteries did he need I wonder.
  • 6 0
 Wow - how did he even continue to hold onto his handle bars!! I would also love to know how many batteries he went through! @velosoutionsglobal
  • 11 0
 @jdigdog: half a battery per run
  • 3 0
 @velosolutionsglobal: Technology is getting there.
  • 2 0
 Was thinking this also
  • 5 0
 @velosolutionsglobal: Is that Kenevo mullet-ed? I have a 2020 Kenevo comp and was wanting to do a new Zeb for it. In either 29er or the 38mm offset 27.5... both configurations I would go 190mm travel. Also that's really bad ass Claudio was able to accomplish the feat... F*ck the haters.
  • 3 0
 @clint026: 27.5 front and rear, 180mm Zeb ;-)
  • 1 0
 @claudiocaluori: Thanks Claudio!
  • 1 0
 @claudiocaluori: 27.5....perfect Smile
  • 35 26
 "endurance" on an e-bike somehow seems irrelevant.
  • 24 10
 That would also imply 'Enduro' motorcycling or any assisted/powered endurance sport wasn't real endurance.
Similarly you could argue non-assisted 'Enduro' eg. EWS isn't real endurance as they have the assistance of gears, only BMX enduro which I freely admit doesn't exist, but probably should, is real enduro.
In other words it's nonsense to say this isn't a feat of endurance, I have trouble staying awake for 11 hours.
  • 14 9
 @Steventux: gears, suspension, dropper posts, 29in wheels, etc. on a bike are not the same thing as a MOTOR on a bike! All of those things change how the human power is utilized on a bicycle but don’t ever add a single watt of power-they just add weight. Once there is a MOTOR on the bike adding power it has changed the game. Some like it, some don’t, it might look the same and ride almost the same, but it’s no longer a bicycle IMO. It’s a motorbike with pedal assist. Yes you can still get a (reduced vs ) workout because the throttle is activated by pedaling but it is not the same thing. I like mountain biking because it’s hard and fun. Some like riding pedal assisted MOTORbikes because it’s EASIER and fun. To each their own.

I for one, was really hoping the blanket ban on bicycles in the US wilderness areas would someday be reversed, but see that battle becoming increasingly unlikely the closer these MOTORbikes evolve to looking like human powered machines they imitate. Ya I know, selfish of me, but also selfish of anyone else that wants more fun for themselves with less effort. Everyone is selfish for their own interests.
  • 8 1
 @Steventux: i didnt realise there are classes of enduro dirt bikes that are fully human powered that the petrol models are compared to.
im not saying it isnt endurance, but in the world of cycling doubling or trebling your power input with a motor and writing it up as endurance feels a little disingenuous.
  • 5 1
 @billyballa33: I'm really not being that serious about it, so please don't take too much of what I said there or say here as a reasoned argument.
I can see good reason in your argument, I genuinely think you state your case well.

However there does seem to be an arbitrary line we draw on technical innovation here as to whether something is assistive.
In the literal sense of the word, any enhancement would be assistive, but if we take the assertion that increasing wattage is specifically what is meant as assistive in this discussion then gears perform a very similar enhancement.
The semantics of whether a bike becomes a motorbike because it has an assistive motor is a tricky one, it's not the sole source of motion for the vehicle, it's a bit like saying your bike becomes a computer when you strap a Garmin to it.
In essence cycling is still happening in both cases albeit assisted cycling.

DISCLAIMER: Don't own an ebike, no plans to own one either, though if I felt I wasn't enjoying self-propelled riding whether through injury or age fatigue I think it's a good option to still enjoy a ride.
  • 3 4
 @Steventux: The difference is that gears are purely mechanical they don't provide any extra watts, if anything you lose efficiency through the drivetrain system.

An ebike has a battery directly attached to the drivetrain providing power. I believe this is where the line should be drawn between purely biomechanical efficiency and moving into not necessarily motorbikes but I would classify it more as Motorsports since a motor is now involved Smile
  • 25 21
 You have to laugh at all the E-Bike haters, obviously no clue how hard this still is, but I am sure the complainers are just as fit as Claudio right? I think that is the thing with people that ride E-Bikes, they just enjoy having fun, and riding, were as
a certain minority (or majority on Pinkbike) seem to have something to prove. At the end of the day, you are not as good as you think you are at riding bikes, otherwise you would be top 10 in the world at XC or DH etc, so stfu.
  • 4 7
 on a more serious note though most areas don't have the manpower in their trail associations to maintain the trails with all the usage. These days people (including myself) take it for granted the amount of work that goes into these. With E-bikes we've now opened up a whole new segment of riders who weren't able to get out there before. When I get older and my knees aren't as good then an ebike makes sense. But from what I've seen just the sheer number of riders on the trail has increased. Not too mention the torque problems when starting/stopping can be semi-compared to roosting/shlarping which ruins the trails quicker too. Do I agree the people riding them are having fun? yes! I also believe some are lazy but there are other reasons like I mentioned above which is why people don't like ebikes very much.
  • 13 7
 Pedal assist means zero effort? Seriously?

Try doing 1000 bicep curls without holding anything in your hands then see if the concept of zero effort applies.
  • 9 11
 I rode a mates ebike recently and it made climbing so easy. Stoked for those with them that just want to go out and have max fun. I've seen loads of ebikers on the trails for years now and I've not once seen anyone breaking a sweat.
  • 6 5
 So ebiking is like doing weightless bicep curls? I wonder if there's a reason people don't do those at the gym?
  • 6 0
 He had 11 hours of riding with fun on the ups and the downs. That day i was in my office for 8 hours and felt lucky to commute home for 45 Min.
  • 7 3
 Looks to have been a really great ride and life experience...I would love the opportunity to attempt the same feat...
Those hating ebikes are primarily upset that their analog bikes are loosing value rapidly now and most can not afford a descent ebike in general (agreed, most are over priced)...I've been around for quite some time and find it laughable how so many PB'ers went from "shuttlin", neck brace wearing, brown pow warriors to Spandex clad, Strava boi's....Comical indeed!
  • 7 4
 Who’s worse: the ebike haters who can’t do a four mile ride with 400 feet of climbing in less than two hours or the ebike fanboys who don’t even own ebikes but never miss an opportunity to talk about how fun they are. It’s like they have some belief that if they post enough good things about ebikes someone will give them a free one.
  • 6 1
 Nice work. My knees were singing after riding my eeb up bikepark Wales 5 times and that's only about 400meters.
  • 4 1
 Minor point but I thought the Kenovo had a dual crown fork and the bike in the photos looks more like a Levo. Either way would have been a big day out with a lot of fun going uphill as well as down!
  • 4 0
 Defo a kenevo, and yes the stock higher tier build has a 180mm boxxer but I'm gonna guess claudios bike is far from a stock build.
  • 6 1
 People who go nuts with the ebikes but support enduro races in a bike park.
  • 2 2
 One of the reasons I don't like racing enduro. All the ski lifts defeats the purpose.
  • 7 2
 All these people in here sitting on a chair lift and trolling the eMTB PB comments section... 2 faced pu$$....
  • 6 3
 Love ebike articles. Its a game of spot the stupid seeing the same dimwitted commentators each time who are unable to fathom how to turn their ebike filter on. On another note lets have a bikecheck please Claudio.
  • 5 0
 with Ivan as bike mechanic, what can go wrong? congrats to Caluori and his team.
  • 6 0
 sounds like a fun day!
  • 1 1
 Do e bikes come stock without eagles still? makes sense, no need for an eagle ring when you've got 35nm of torque on top of whatever your legs can do..

I just wish the 11 speed looked as good as eagle, i would have it on my enduro bikes if it looked as futuristic as x01.
  • 3 1
 The 'never end trail' name is some Swiss english if I've ever heard any.
  • 1 0
 the trail is gone now , too much blaa and chhrrt
  • 3 3
 Yes....but why ?
  • 3 0
 For fun and the personal challenge :-)
  • 3 5
 Congrats.... its an E-bike.
  • 3 4
 E-Mtb - doesn’t count.
  • 4 2
 @skelldify: Doesn't count? As what? Using your logic, every UCI World Cup DH run utilising a chair lift to get to the start of the descent "doesn't count".
  • 2 3
 @notsofastoverfifty: nobody’s counting the elevation gain in a DH World Cup
  • 4 6
 So I assume Claudio lost a bet and that was the punishment

Right!?!?!?!
  • 2 1
 The real punishment would have been doing this on a retro snail bike
  • 3 0
 hahaha!!
  • 1 4
 Does e-bike have an engine brake?