SDG I-Fly Storm Saddle - Sea Otter Day 1

Apr 14, 2011
by Mike Levy
SDG's production I-Fly Storm saddle next to the first prototype made by Sam Hill's mechanic, Jacy.<br><br><span style='font-size:19px'>SDG I-Fly Storm saddle details:</span><br><br>- I-Fly saddle shell<br>- Two versions: aggressive and less aggressive<br>- Tread is injection molded onto the saddle's cover<br>- Features a one piece stitch-less cover.

SDG I-Fly Storm saddle details:

- I-Fly saddle shell
- Two versions: aggressive and less aggressive
- Tread is injection molded onto the saddle's cover
- Features a one piece stitch-less cover.

Our coverage from last year's Sea Otter of SDG's I-Fly Storm saddle certainly got people talking and now SDG has brought the saddle to production. While many riders won't understand or require the added traction that the Storm I-Fly saddle provides, it is no secret that World Cup riders have been gluing tire tread onto their saddle when conditions get nasty for years. The I-Fly Storm saddle is a much cleaner and ready to ride solution that does away with glue, instead attaching the rubber tread by micro injection. There are two versions of the saddle - the aggressive model shown here that Sam uses year round, and a less aggressive model that Brendan is fond of.

SDG main man, Tyler Anspach, showing off the first Storm saddle prototype that was hand made by Sam Hill's mechanic, Jacy. Tire tread was glued on and notes were written by hand after getting feedback from Sam, and the seat was then sent to Tyler for approval.
SDG's new X-Beam rail adapter allows riders to switch between traditional railed and I-Beam saddles. A single bolt that can be accessed from the side that controls both tilt and fore and aft adjustments.

Visit the SDG website to see their entire range.

Stay tuned for more from Sea Otter!

• 29 1
 It would be cool having the original with all the dimensions and annotations on
  • 3 29
flag OliScale (Apr 14, 2011 at 14:26) (Below Threshold)
 since when does a downhiller sit down while riding?
  • 16 1
 when the track is to long and u just need to sit
  • 4 16
flag nutter-1 (Apr 14, 2011 at 14:30) (Below Threshold)
 we dont , but when you ride in super muddy conditions you can see how this would come in handy
  • 2 35
flag eldavo14 (Apr 14, 2011 at 14:35) (Below Threshold)
 The concept for the tread on seat looks like it's been taken from the way downhillers sometimes cut off tread from old tyres and attach it to their seats in in really slippy conditions
  • 3 22
flag OliScale (Apr 14, 2011 at 14:56) (Below Threshold)
 please nutter-1, explain how this would come in handy when riding downhill?

the only place the seat might need grip is on the sides, to grip with your knees
  • 1 8
flag nutter-1 (Apr 14, 2011 at 15:06) (Below Threshold)
 yes thats the idea behind it even tho the treads are not directly on the the side your knee still come in contact with the tread , i also thought it was a stupid idea when i saw sam hill riding but after riding in the worst conditions i ever had last year i could see how it would help....
  • 10 0
 well if youve ever watched a wc dh race youll notice that they do infact sit down and pedal on longer flatten sections, it lets you catch your breathe abit and keep your speed going, this seat just stop your sliding around on the seat if its well like champery
  • 6 0
 also, if there is a part where you are starting to slip off the edge, you can put your foot out and sit down for control
  • 2 5
 also generally dhers have there seat way to vertical, almost pointing straight up, so the grip stops u from sliding straight off when your just riding around
  • 7 0
 lol theyre seats are like a slight slope. not even close to straight up
  • 2 0
 my god this could have helped so much in the rain not sure if the other people are thinking befor talking also it the material was water proof that would be a smart idea as well cause nothing sucks more then sitting on a wet and soggy seat
  • 1 0
 I suppose it may help on steep stuff to when your right over the back,might stop your trousers slipping off your saddle forcing you onto your tyre?
  • 1 0
 i like the original name, "gripper butt seat", its catchy
  • 1 2
 Not too sure why I got so many neg props then, from what I've read that seems to be what they do? It even says in MBR magazine regarding a similar SDG seat "Sam Hill and Bredan Fairclough will not be glueing strips of tyre tread to their saddles for much longer..."
  • 1 3
 oh no neg props!!!!!........ your life is now over!
  • 3 0
 eldavo, you got neg propped because you made a blatantly obvious statement in an apparent moment of retardation
  • 1 0
 Ah thanks, at least now I know I wasn't just talking a load of crap
  • 11 1
 I don't think I'd ever need that saddle, but the seatpost is a pretty neat idea. Being able to run either an I-beam or railed saddle might be useful.
  • 2 1
 Awesome.
  • 2 13
flag chyu (Apr 14, 2011 at 13:55) (Below Threshold)
 If it's design specifically for Sam Hill, how is it gonna fit our ass?
  • 3 2
 If you've shat yourself and are slipping around that much, I suppose it could help. Otherwise, just a good idea that won't go too far. The seat post idea will though!
  • 1 0
 i agree. i-beams are cool but there aren't a lot of manufacturers making i-beam saddles so we get stuck with what SDG has to offer. i wish they showed more pictures though so we can see how it looks like and probably guess how much it weighs.
  • 2 0
 MiloXC3, you live in the UK, surely you've seen how nasty UK conditions can get over the winter? I think it's a pretty good idea personally!
  • 1 0
 Yeah I see where you're coming from but I never slip in my saddle whatever the weather. Maybe I just stand up out of the saddle too much!
  • 1 0
 wow ... guys think about it ... why would they spend so much time and effort and pay sam hill to help design and test a seat if it was pointless ? comeon ... iv just ordered myself one because it looks cool so i hope it helps ahha
  • 7 0
 for those who can't reach ass to scratch itching
  • 3 0
 Beats using an old XC tire this works really well actually, lots of grip in any conditions, you;d be surprised at the difference if ya tried the Ghetto setup as a trail before shooting this idea down its taken MTB soooooooooooooo long in moto they've had gripper seats for years!

Maybe people here talk fast but don't ride fast enough!

I'm in for the green one, and sick of creaky rails, I Beam rules! this just takes it to another level thats been way way over due!

I was going to go to the moto trim guys to get this done umm!
  • 6 0
 am i the only person that thinks that this might hurt if you sit down for a little bit?
  • 3 0
 mmm, think i might just stick some cut up tyre tread to my saddle like the original version and save the £ for something more important.

like the x-beam rail adaptor.
 cYPHER I totally agree.
  • 1 0
 Cool. SDG have made an additional extra bit that turns their I-beam posts into a regular seatpost. Innovation eh?

They should look into making a grippy platform with pins which you could clip onto an SPD pedal so you can ride it like a flat pedal, that would be awesome...
  • 1 0
 I don't think you got my sarcasm, I meant a full platfrom that clips right over the pedal (cleat?) giving you a full flat platform.
Basically taking one design and adding an extra bit to turn it into something that already exists, like this seatpost. Unnecessary.
  • 1 0
 If it was dumb... would sam have done a short clip a few months back showing us a cut up tire on his seat and explaining why it works? Plus would sam really ride it if it does not serve a purpose? Do you really think he just put a tire on his seat for no reason?
  • 5 1
 i want that seat without the knobs
  • 3 0
 good job to sdg for getting the saddle into production, and loving the new rail adapter
  • 1 0
 i think they should sell the finished model, but have one that looks like the prototype with all the notes, thats pretty sick. il be making one soon...got a few spare old tires and a half used tube of no more nails. win
  • 1 0
 Yo I can't ride today because my battihole is swole up bad with this new asteroid seat by SDG. Where's the prep H ??????????
  • 1 0
 sick! jacy is a top man Smile i want one of these seats so much! but they shoulf meke them in diff colours Smile
  • 6 0
 They should sell it with a copy of the proto design. Marker pens ftw!
  • 1 0
 on my wish list for the winter!
  • 1 0
 those knobs on the prototype kind of remind me of a cut up maxxis swampthing, am i correct?
 mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, i want one! Smile
  • 2 1
 Cool idea but I wouldn't buy
  • 1 0
 The seat anyways seat post is legit
 I like the one bolt seatpost Big Grin
 Tire tread Smile
Good call!!!
  • 1 0
 i love my sdg and ibeam post!
  • 1 1
 hmmmm if i works id probly try it it looks kinda nasty but in a really cool way
  • 1 1
 I thought about buying this saddel, but I dont really see the need for it beacuse its never really wet were I ride.
  • 1 0
 I wanna pick my favorite tread pattern :-)
  • 1 0
 YAY! Im going to have tire marks on my A** just what i always wanted!
  • 1 0
 hopefully my balls wont get uncomfy when in use with this mechanism
 neato guys
  • 1 1
 I like how the green one looks REALLY similar to my car keys.
  • 1 1
 this is a stupid idea but whatever floats peoples boats Razz
  • 1 3
 this seat looks dumb Razz
  • 1 0
 Basically, if you don't understand the seat, you won't need it. I'm very tempted, I ted to seat bounce before jumps and compressions to get the suspension set up, also in really wet conditions where you have a foot off in a corner, having that extra point of contact is a good thing. Its nice to see companies making niche products for racers!
  • 1 3
 fuckin dumb
  • 4 0
 You're comment is "f*ckin dumb". How about some reasoning - Why don't you like it? Maybe its not for you, but will it be good for others who live elsewhere? Think first, comment second.
  • 1 1
 just a new marketing scheme buddy. unnecessary items for people with unnecessary amounts of spare cash. if you are that 'hardcore' just put cut old tires onto your seat.
  • 1 3