Tech Briefing: 2019 Bikes, Disc Protectors, Dropper Posts & More - November 2018

Nov 5, 2018
by Alex Evans

Tech Briefing is a feature for the new stuff that we spot every month but haven't gotten our hands on yet. An eclectic serving of tech, from revolutionary products to novel traditional gear, with some wacky stuff thrown in for good measure.

Radon Swoop 170
From €2499

Is the new Radon Swoop the affordable, race-ready enduro bike we've been waiting for? (Learn more.)
Full Bike Radon Swoop 170 10.0 2019

Specialized Eliminator Tire
From £40 / US $60

Specialized claim their new tire sits between the Butcher and Hillbilly and is optimized for loose, dry terrain. (Learn more.)

Vitus 2019 Bikes
From £499.99

A quiver for everyone and every discipline, Vitus' range of new bikes is pretty comprehensive and affordable! (Learn more.)

TSG Scope Helmet
From €119.95

TSG's latest helmet is designed for trail riders looking for extended coverage and plenty of ventilation. (Learn more.)

Starling Cycles Sturn
Price TBC

Starling's new Sturn is a steel, single-speed downhill bike with 29" wheels, 180mm travel and has two chains. (Learn more.)
The Starling Cycles Sturn. More at https www.starlingcycles.com starling-cycles-sturn Photographer Ben Broomfield benbroomfield.com photobenphoto

Paul Components 35mm Boxcar Stem
From US $123

Paul Components have released their first 35mm handlebar clamp diameter stem, machined from 2024 aluminum and made in the USA. (Learn more.)
35mm Boxcar Stems

Muc-Off Disc Covers
US $29.00/pair

Keep those rotors safe from contamination with Muc-Off's new Disc Covers. (Learn more.)
Muc-Off Disc Covers

BikeYoke Divine SL Dropper Post
US $399

BikeYoke's new Divine SL dropper post comes in under 400g with the potential to shave even more weight when it's cut. (Learn more.)
BikeYoke DIVINE SL - dimensions

Formula Selva R Fork
From €1350 / US $1551

The new Selva R has a massive range of tuning options, including the ability to independently alter the air pressure in the positive or negative air chamber. (Learn more.)

Race Face Next SL Wheelset
Price TBC

Race Face's new wheelset is aimed at cross-country or trail riders and are trail dog approved. (Learn more.)

Nukeproof 2019 Bikes
Prices vary

Take a look at the details of Nukeproof's latest models, including the EWS-winning Mega 275c. (Learn more.)
Mega 275c RS

Cane Creek Hellbender 70 Headset
From US $80

The new Hellbender splits the difference between Cane Creek's 40 series and 110 series headsets. (Learn more.)
Cane Creek Hellbender 70 Headsets

Silca Ypsilon
Price varies per garment

Silca claim they've re-imagined the Y-tool with their new Ypsilon. (Learn more.)
Silca Ypsilon Y-Tool

Identiti Dr Jekyll
From £499.99

Identiti have been making dirt jump frames for 20 years - check out their latest creation. (Learn more.)
Dr Jekyll RC

Tannus & Vittoria Co-Develop Tire Inflatable Bladder
Price TBC

Ten years ago, mountain bikers thought the inner-tube was dead and buried. Now, Tannus and Vittoria have resurrected the devil and given it super powers. (Learn more.)
Armor hybrid tire liner

Uplnd Stoke 3M Frame Protection
From US $69.99

The Hijinx kit complements Uplnd Stoke’s other line of premium bike model-specific protection, the Antik. (Learn more.)
Hijinx Transparent Gloss

Propain Tyee Carbon & Tyee AM Carbon
From €3000

Propain hopes that changes to their Tyee bikes will make them even more capable than before. (Learn more.)

Calibre Astronut
£550

UK budget brand launches affordable dirt jump bike called the Astronut. (Learn more.)

MENTIONS: @Specialized / @VitusBikes / @rideTSG / @Starlingcycles / @PaulComponentEngineering / @nickechos / @Sacki / @rideformula / @raceface / @Nukeproofinternational / @CaneCreekCyclingComponents / @Identiti-Bikes / @uplndstoke / @PROPAIN-Bicycles / @RideCalibre

Should call them disc condoms.
flag WAKIdesigns (Nov 5, 2018 at 0:41) (Below Threshold)
 Stop invading my space. THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE!
 @WAKIdesigns: "If you ain't first, you're last." -Ricky Bobby
 Make sure to leave it on when you ride. Dont want any Splattered Trail Dung (STD) infecting your rotors.
flag vinay (Nov 5, 2018 at 1:25) (Below Threshold)
 @BIKE-TROLL: Stop invading my place. I'm last.
flag WAKIdesigns (Nov 5, 2018 at 1:26) (Below Threshold)
 @BIKE-TROLL: Who sent you?! The rumors say Sram bought you for 50% off Guides R and free bleeding kit!
flag MaSz1 (Nov 5, 2018 at 2:01) (Below Threshold)
 @WAKIdesigns: My friend Randy send him over!
flag MaSz1 (Nov 5, 2018 at 2:04) (Below Threshold)
 @WAKIdesigns: My friend Randy send him over!
flag WAKIdesigns (Nov 5, 2018 at 3:20) (Below Threshold)
 Scramble! scramble! The negtards are attacking!
 @WAKIdesigns:

Seems you lost your touch... take a shovel and dig your crybaby river...
flag WAKIdesigns (Nov 5, 2018 at 8:53) (Below Threshold)
 @Trailstunter: Ae bee back (implodes like a Witch King)
 @BIKE-TROLL: Reese Bobby 'I was high when I said that! That makes no sense at all! I mean, you could be second, third, fourth-- hell, you could even be fifth!'
 Wouldn’t catch me riding with them discs on ! Smile
 pro tip, just use a shower cap when bleeding brakes, washing, etc.
 @Geral01: yo that is actually a good tip
 @BIKE-TROLL: "Can't have two number ones that'd make elven"
 @BigEvil: A true geek would say two number ones would make three.
 how much?!! ffs plastic carrier bags wrapped around the discs have done this job for me for years, and I've never had a problem with over spray as a result. Recycle for FREE and reuse, forget this BS. Go home Muc-off you're drunk.
 Ff' plastic Carrier bag? What's that?
 @robjames: plastic bags from the grocery store. Not exactly free in Canada tho it's 0.05$ lol
flag wako29 (Nov 5, 2018 at 8:20) (Below Threshold)
 @wako29:How might I have re worded my point to meet your standards of creativity and wit? Please let me, and others, know and I will endeavour to improve my comments relating to entirely frivolous MTB products in future.
 @robjames: "for f*cks sake, carrier bags", poor grammar there in my OP, apologies. Regardless they have superior qualities to traditional options, particularly in the way they don't cost $29. In fact, i may consider spraying some pink and selling them at my next local enduro event.
 @wako29: Nice use of copy+paste from your comment the original article. I guess you just want to be heard but not feeling creative this morning?
 @nickkk: Thanks. That's simple and cheap
 "Tire Inflatable Bladder"

Inner tube then
 Only on the inner nets.
 The disc brake covers seem a bit counter-intuitive. Buy our bike cleaner - which contaminates your pads and rotors...
 That has to be the most anal thing ever. "How do I form mega-problems with other problems I've managed to accumulate"
 Our bike cleaner is perfectly safe on discs and rotors. For those times you might use a protectant, or lube that could contaminate your brakes, there's a handy lightning bolt emblazoned solution!
 @mucoffltd: My comment was very tongue-in-cheek, take no notice.
 @glasvagas: Tongue in cheek comment noted. Swift educative reply for those that don't quite grasp the UK humour. Wink
 I’ve accidentally touched the brake rotors once or twice and I have never had any problems, it just burns off. Maybe it’s just the brakes..........or the brake power has just slowly gone down without me noticing.
 Anyone got some inside work on a MY19 spank range? Vibrocore trail handlebar in polished, or a lighter narrower vibrocore rim?
 the price on those Race Face wheels isn't TBD, it's whatever facial reconstruction costs these days when their shitty carbon explodes on you.
 In 2006 there was already a MZ fork with the ability to alter the air chambers individually. I would really like to try the Formula Fork.
flag WAKIdesigns (Nov 5, 2018 at 3:23) (Below Threshold)
 I had 66SL with Doppio Air. It sucked. It really sucked. Few were fond of a similar system in the Öhlins Air forks. Make sure you know what you wish for.
 @WAKIdesigns: that was the fork I was talking about. I also had one. In the beginning it was very hard to set up. But then I managed to set it up right for me and I liked it. It was very ,very reliable!!
 I'd use the brake covers when transporting my fatbike on my T2. There is something in the snow melt brine that they spray on the roads that contaminate my brakes. I just wish they were black.
 That poor swoop got the fugly orange fork treatment. It's like a clown nose.
 I don`t need these, but there`s a few people who do and to them I ask; Why do you put so much oil and grease on your bikes?
 Terrible looking paint protection film. You don't need any of those relief cuts if you know how to do ppf.
 To be honest I use mucoff silicone shine all over my bike and discs no issue, never go crazy with the lube just on the chain not the discs?
 Remove before use lol
 Check out the price for the vitus. If only that mistake was also on Vitus website then I would immediatley buy this bike.
 It says FROM £499. That's the price of their entry level hardtail - which in fairness actually looks alright.