USA Cycling Cancels 2020 MTB National Championships

Jul 2, 2020
by Sarah Moore
Jill Kintner Photos by Bryn Atkinson

USA Cycling has announced that the USA Cycling Mountain Bike National Championships won't be held in 2020, saying that they do not feel confident that they "can ensure the safety of our participants, volunteers, staff, and host communities."

This is following the announcement from Cycling Canada on July 19th that the Canadian XCO, DH, and XCM National Championships have been cancelled.

PRESS RELEASE: USA Cycling

This update comes after months of working through numerous plans and options and is written with disappointment, as we are unfortunately forced to announce the cancellation of multiple National Championships for the 2020 season. Throughout this time, we have worked to create alternative dates in the hopes that COVID-19 cases would decrease, sought alternative locations where needed, and looked to modify our events in order to mitigate risk and meet local regulations and requirements.

As we have gotten closer to decision dates, it has become clear that many of the challenges in conducting safe and fair Nationals are insurmountable. In the end, we do not feel confident that we can ensure the safety of our participants, volunteers, staff, and host communities.

While we are seeing a return of local rides and races in some areas, Nationals draw a large number of people from around the country. When combined with the challenges of obtaining local permissions and permits, having to heavily modify event formats, and facing financial concerns within both our organization and local organizing committees, we have had to make the very difficult decision to cancel the following events for 2020:

USA Cycling Pro Road National Championships
USA Cycling Amateur Road National Championships
USA Cycling Masters Road National Championships
USA Cycling Gran Fondo National Championships
USA Cycling Mountain Bike National Championships
USA Cycling Elite and Junior Track National Championships
USA Cycling Masters Track National Championships

We want to thank all of the partners who worked with us over the last three months as we explored options to hold these events. They were also looking forward to hosting you and they have been incredibly supportive of date changes and flexible with format changes.

We are continuing to work through options for our fall Collegiate events, Marathon MTB, and Cyclocross Nationals and will continue to communicate the status of these events.

We have already begun to plan next year’s Nationals and will be releasing dates and locations shortly. In addition, we will allow those current National Champions who are otherwise eligible to continue to wear the Stars and Stripes jerseys through the 2021 event.

We understand this news has been difficult to read, and it has been hard to write. It is difficult to fully express our disappointment in how this season has developed for everyone. Please be safe and enjoy some time on the bike, we remain committed to the future of National Championships and look forward to seeing you at next year’s events.

• 19 0
 This was my year.
  • 19 9
 It did not magically disappear in the summer like some were hoping, now it's looking like it's getting out of control. If there had been a national facemask mandate from the start things would be much better.
  • 7 3
 I thought that was obvious Wink
  • 30 10
 Florida is now at over 10,000 cases a day. Utah and Nevada following.

ITS ALMOST LIKE IGNORING THE EXPERTS TO FAVOR TRUMP'S ABSURD REALITY WAS A BAD IDEA. WHO KNEW!? BUT I'M SURE ITS STILL A GIANT DEMOCRATIC HOAX LIKE RUSSIANS PUTTING BOUNTIES ON U.S. SOLDIERS' HEADS. YUP. JUST ANOTHER GIANT CONSPIRACY AND NOT TOTAL INCOMPETENCY ALL TO MAKE TRUMP LOOK LIKE A f*ckING MORON.
  • 11 32
flag Engie85 (Jul 2, 2020 at 19:41) (Below Threshold)
 Haha face masks,Total BS, but your a good soldier.
  • 10 33
flag ryankxf (Jul 2, 2020 at 20:55) (Below Threshold)
 I’ve had it, I know a lot of people that have had it. It’s a GLORIFIED flu. Crazy how many people still believe the BS.
  • 7 31
flag ryankxf (Jul 2, 2020 at 20:58) (Below Threshold)
 @scott-townes: I’ve seen a lot of your comments, not sure why you Believe the experts when half the time they contradict themselves. You should start using your brain with a hint of common sense bud.
  • 17 6
 @ryankxf: my girlfriend has permanent lung scarring from covid.

Also, the flu f*cking kills people, so I wouldn’t want to spread that either.
  • 4 25
flag ryankxf (Jul 2, 2020 at 21:26) (Below Threshold)
 @Unrealityshow: right, I’ve had permanent lung damage from inhaling cigarettes for 8 years, from inhaling paint fumes, from artillery propellant fumes. Anything that goes into your lungs OTHER THAN oxygen is going to be harmful. Let me ask you this, have you ever in your life seen one single person wear a mask when infected with the flu? I know I haven’t.
  • 4 25
flag ryankxf (Jul 2, 2020 at 21:31) (Below Threshold)
 @Engie85: well looks like we pissed off the Pinkbikers with truth like usual.
  • 22 3
 @ryankxf: I work in healthcare, so yes, I’ve seen plenty of people wear masks while infected with the flu. Most healthcare facilities ask you to wear a mask if you have flu like symptoms. This was a thing before covid.

Smoking and inhaling paint fumes was your choice. Getting sick wasn’t. You can be a decent human, and try to not spread a sickness. Wearing masks helps with not spreading illness.
  • 4 24
flag ryankxf (Jul 2, 2020 at 23:40) (Below Threshold)
 @Unrealityshow: doctors sure, patients? Rarely... smoking was absolutely my choice, and you know what, my lungs are doing great these days. I mean I race bmx and DH. Also, You can’t base your gfs lung health off a one or two month recovery saying she’s screwed for life. That’s just BS. I’ve had friends who’ve got c19 WITH underlying health issues and are doing great. And just so you know, that’s a cult like mentality to have by shaming people who don’t agree with you. And lastly look up the facts. Again, I can’t stress this enough, USE YOUR BRAIN.
  • 20 3
 @ryankxf: Facts? Maybe look at the fact that the United States has the highest infection rate, and look at the fact that science has been politicized.

I’m very tired of stupid Americans being the loudest, and ruining this great country. I’m over people like you controlling the dialogue even though you’re in the minority. Please, educate yourself.
  • 4 18
flag ryankxf (Jul 3, 2020 at 0:00) (Below Threshold)
 @Unrealityshow: Don’t get mad and run away. Please do look at the infection rate, but you can’t ignore the fact that the recovery/survival rate is minuscule and you know that. For some reason people don’t like to acknowledge that and it really confuses me. Most people run off of emotions like yourself and that’s not healthy. Think for yourself bud.
  • 5 19
flag ryankxf (Jul 3, 2020 at 0:02) (Below Threshold)
 @Unrealityshow: also the infection rate is going up because people are terrified for whatever reason/ made by employers to go get tested. SO OF COURSE the Recorded infection Rate is going to sky rocket. Which in turn makes the death rate even Weaker.
  • 19 3
 @ryankxf: Covid is killing people. Wearing a mask stops the spread. Stop spewing ignorance.
  • 3 20
flag ryankxf (Jul 3, 2020 at 0:10) (Below Threshold)
 @Unrealityshow: everything is killing people... stay inside and don’t do anything.
  • 3 17
flag ryankxf (Jul 3, 2020 at 0:12) (Below Threshold)
 @Unrealityshow: didn’t think facts were ignorant.
  • 15 2
 @ryankxf: I haven't seen any facts in your arguments. Covid kills people. Wearing a mask stops the spread of Covid. Staying at home stops the spread of Covid. These are facts.
  • 8 2
 @scott-townes: We're lucky the mask deniers don't feel the same way about condoms. Otherwise, there would be so many more of them.
  • 4 2
 @codypup: BUT SCIENTISTS ARE ALWAYS CHANGING THEIR MIND! THERE'S NO PROOF CONDOMS STOP THE SPREAD OF STDS AND PREVENT PREGNANCY!
  • 3 2
 @ryankxf: you give the other Ryans of the world a bad name. You suck.
  • 10 0
 It's USAC they don't care so neither should we
  • 1 1
 East Coast Champs! I know a great group of organizers who could pull it off.
  • 10 1
 Strava is all we get this year for racing in the US.
  • 1 0
 Didn’t USAC give out a stars and stripes jersey for zwift?
  • 2 0
 That’ll be great for trails...
  • 9 1
 They can't even put on a good race if there wasn't a pandemic. National championship of crap courses and silly rules.
  • 6 0
 Refunds on all Race Licenses PLEASE.
  • 1 0
 "I'm sorry but we can only offer a 50% credit to put towards next year's race. The money was already spent to give our executives bonuses they never deserved."
  • 1 0
 Correct me if I’m wrong, but MTB Marathon Nationals is still on the calendar for November. It says they are working through options.