Video: Nicholi Rogatkin's 2018 Highlights Edit is Massive

Dec 31, 2018
by Nicholi Rogatkin

bigquotesIt’s been an absolutely insane year.Nicholi Rogatkin

Action from the Crankworx Innsbruck Slopestyle presented by Kenda. Credit Fraser Britton Crankworx 2018

Credit Fraser Britton Crankworx 2018

MENTIONS: @nicholirogatkin

say what you want about his style or his helmet visor, but the guys attitude is world class.
 Mat Hoffman didn’t wear a visor either.
flag scott-townes (Jan 1, 2019 at 0:13) (Below Threshold)
 If anyone rips on his style, freeze frame his cork 7 drop with Semenuk's and proceed to laugh at those jack off fanboys who think there's any difference in "style".
 People can’t handle how hard he’s killing it
 I had the pleasure of riding the chair lift at Highland with him a couple times in 2018, real nice guy, he entertained our talk of some local trails and gave a few tips on taking some of the larger hits in the park.
 I think many of us failed to welcome Nicholi very well when he showed up in slopestyle. I'll be the first to admit that 2-3 years ago, I was the guy in here saying "hes just gonna triple whip, cash roll, and have a cringe celebration at the end of his run". And that really sucks because yeah, despite people making fun of the visor shit and not riding similarly to the rest of the crowd, he completely opted to make lots of friends, be extremely positive and have fun on his bike. His sportsmanship is next level, he ALWAYS celebrated those that beat him, so it was really good to see him take that triple crown this year. He hucks it on victory laps, hucks it when it doesn't matter, and just hucks shit. He really did find a "home" in this scene coming from BMX and that's honestly wonderful. I like having him around and I hope he has a long fun career in mountain biking because he belongs here.
 @scott-townes: that’s because a cork 7 is not a stylish trick as well as most of his tricks where they involve spinning or flipping as many times before you hit the ground so there really isn’t any time to add your own flare to it like you would with simpler tricks. Ex. The 50/01 guys do barely any tricks but they ooze with style.
 It seems like the difference between his style and Semenuk's style is that Semenuk kind of gently coaxes his bike into doing what he wants it to, and Rogatkin grabs it by the neck and MAKES it do what he wants. It's just different styles.
 i took my visor off as i found it got in the way of my view down the fall-line, and helmut cam shots too for that matter. waaaay faster without it as well. Smile
anyways, nicholi is pretty good.
 @anchoricex: I can't agree more with this. The way he carries himself at these high pressure events is 2nd to none. I never seen anyone else root so hard for the same people he's competing against. His mental is just on another level when the pressure is on. There's like 10 tricks in his bag that no one else is doing. He never seems to be injured either.
 @EnduroFan84: Exactly. That's why I feel this argument that Rogatkin added more style to his run to previous years when he's doing mainly the same tech/insane stuff or saying a cork 7 by any rider is more steezy than another is a complete joke. I'd love to see someone screenshot Semenuk's cork 7 drop vs. Rogatkin's and to try to make an argument one has more style than another, or Rogatkin's triple whip from 2 year's ago is anymore steezy than what he tossed down this year. Its just a bunch of fanboys clowning around trying to dig themselves outta a hole to seem "hip" with whoever is popular.
 @scott-townes: lol "no difference" are you blind m8? nicholi is amazing but there is definitely a difference in style here.
 @thepwnstar39: Any proof? So far none of you have provided any.
 Semenuk & Rheeder are more about riding for themselves and all their oppo tricks aren't really of a much aesthetic value. But Nicholi is always doing this for the audience, he is all about bringing show to people who love him. That's why he is the best.
flag btc1 (Jan 1, 2019 at 0:58) (Below Threshold)
 I suppose rogatkin tailwhips are aesthetic? Lmao guy couldn't properly do even single tailwhip
 Naaaaah.
 They've both got incredible aesthetic value. Semenuk vs Rogatkin is like Federer vs Nadal. One epitomises a seemingly effortless style and flow, the other displays the raw power, strength and speed that can be crammed into every hit. Each can do something the other can't, but both are amazing riders who operate at the ragged edge of what is possible.
 @wingguy: amen dude. Such a good comparison. Brandon and Roger all the way ???? Big love to Nic and Raf as well ????
 I think Semenuk has come to a strange point in his life where he feels like he needs to be fulfilled and he wasn't getting that from competitions. In that regard, maybe the riding is for himself but it's typically geared around creating artful content which he likes. I shot the shit with him at CGP and he had a 35mm film camera on him and we talked about that for a bit, I kind of gathered how much this guy just likes to be a creative above all, probably above his desire to ride bikes. I don't want to be a dick about Brett because I'm typically wrong about people trying to make judgements, and I don't want to make a terrible parallel here.. but sometimes he reminds me of Shaun White. Winning these slope contests has become his identity first and foremost and I don't know if he's just setting himself up for future depression when the field brings in new talent or what. The dudes like exponentially ramped up his skill on the bike in 2018 and I don't doubt he's probably going to win a lot of these comps next year, but who knows where all this goes. I wished they'd stop asking Brett if he can comment on live TV after he gets 2nd or 3rd place because he obviously doesn't take it well, and that's okay, but god it's hard to watch.
 @wingguy: well said... there are lots of styles... some prefer gracefulness, others prefer chicken-choking aggression... personally, I LOVE it ALL!
 I'm sorry butt if you guys can't ride at the level that any of these guys ride at , than you shouldn't trash talk them like you can . All of these guys are amazing.
 Absolutely, and I think his style has taken a massive leap forward this year. Guy has mondo nuts
 This was supposed to be a reply to @catweasel. Happy new year!!
flag scott-townes (Jan 1, 2019 at 0:10) (Below Threshold)
 LOL nothing has changed about his style aside from adding more variations or learning a cork 7. Its hilarious seeing people doing a complete 180 on fabricated hangups about his riding from the past few years.
 @scott-townes: completely disagree. He's been doing some of these tricks now for years and his style has evolved with experience.
flag scott-townes (Jan 1, 2019 at 7:12) (Below Threshold)
 @fries: sources please. I'd love to see the style difference between his triple whip a few years ago vs. now. The only thing that has changed is the public perception of him.
 @scott-townes: you're right but you're being too cynical about the public.
I know, it happens.
 @scott-townes: I love how you accuse people of being a fanboy, yet you are clearly the epitome of one. And in my eyes, when rogatkin burst onto the scene, his tricks were muscled and landings were sketchy. Last season he looked extremely refined and his landings were much cleaner, negating the need to throw pedal strokes in on sections were landings to lips were short, and You don't hear him grunting his way through tricks nearly as much. This guy has matured into a smoother style and it'll be tough for anyone to knock him off the #1 spot next year. I can't wait!
 @fries: Scott Townes is a major d-b_g
@scott-townes
 @Beez177: this is Gospel sir
 @preach: religion is a lie, almost as big of a lie as you fake boyz saying Rogatkin has somehow changed his style to all of a sudden become acceptable when all you did was trash on him before. The fanboy bandwagon has arrived. Ah its great to see this come full circle.
 @Beez177: Oh yeah, nothing says d-bag like taking photos of your bike in front of your caddy's grill in beverly hills. I'm such a bad guy for calling out PB users who hated on Rogatkin for so long because he did his own thing but upon dominating slope, these same users do a complete 180 and justify it based on BS reasons like his style somehow automatically changing. If you didn't join two years ago, you may know this. Yall a bunch of posers.
 @scott-townes: oh you mean my buddy's bike I sold for him in one picture on my buy /sell ? Creeping through my profile stalker, whose the dbag now! Stay away from me...
 @Beez177: lol you don't know the difference between real life and the internet? "stay away from my digital footprint dbag!"
 @scott-townes:
Lol
The oldest tactic in the book is “go personal” when you have nothing intellectual. Thanks for playing the part
 @preach: Welp so far you and others have provided no proof that Rogatkin's style has somehow magically changed over the past year to result in such a change of opinion and instead you resorted to personal attacks on me so.... thanks for playing the part.
 @scott-townes: all those seasoned judges are just idiots I guess. Your storied career in slope style makes you the champ... yes I get it now ????
 @preach: LOL what do you even think my stance is here?
 My favorite slopestyle rider is Semenuk but this guy is my new favorite for competition because he is so happy for life and so upbeat too. Semenuk is like a technical rider while Rogatkin is a crowd rider to make the crowd upbeat. Really like that he is making new ground on what he can do and on he is learning to do some technical tricks like front flip double tail whip versus corked 1080. Really pushing his own envelope.
flag scott-townes (Jan 1, 2019 at 0:09) (Below Threshold)
 LOL Semenuk isn't a crowd pleaser? You kids have no idea what you're talking about.
flag EliasFritzen (Jan 1, 2019 at 21:46) (Below Threshold)
 @scott-townes: Semenuk is too far up is own arse
 Rogatkin in the next Rampage. Make it happen!!!
 lolll
 He was in rampage 2 years ago and ate shit down a cliff lol
 He doesn’t seem to enjoy having a front brake much.. at least when more technical ability on a DH is necessary.. he’s got a bmx background and hell half of those guys ride brakeless
 Reminds me a "I, Tonya" and the story of Sura Bonaly in ice skating, they both had way bigger tricks than the competition, triple axles and backflips, but kept getting low scores due to not being graceful enough. When I saw the movie, I thought "that's bullshit, the best tricks should win". Now, at least I see where the debate comes from: you can't deny some of those tricks are video game level and he deserved all his wins, but maybe it's ok to prefer watching some of the other riders ride smoother?
 The man who brought dirt jumping back to life, absolutely amazing
 They built a special camera to film him . runs at a thousand frames per second. The only way you can capture all his moves off of a single jump!
 He's awesome as heck. Full tilt fricking guy. The shit's not even staged, he falls regularly.
 So much fun to watch, it’s awesome to see him doing so well.
 He mixed his Russian energy with American attitude )
Nicholi, I wish you to have the next season even better than the 2018!
 Rogatkin has done the near impossible. Are we going to see him pull off opposite tricks in 2019? Minds will be blown!
 Dude is absolutely amazing and an excellent human to boot!
 Amazing rider, but i prefer Semenuk's style much more. I think if Brandon was in the comps, he would have taken the title.
 Such a BAMF
 Awesome, congratulations to an insane season!!!!!
 I have to wonder..what he will do next year, dude is Insane !!!
 RIP Lil Peep. No Xanax was abused in the making of this video.
 that was an INSANE save!