Words by Ken Oath
Australia’s largest MTB project is at the cross-roads.
Nearly a decade after the concept was proposed, and final hurdle is here. The fate of the project is now in the hands of those who benefit most - the riders and community.
An Environment Effects Statement was undertaken to substantiate the positive effects and minimal impact it will have and the time for the public to effectively ‘vote’ closes TODAY.
The mountain bike trail network will have 177km of trail, 1000m of descent set in a breathtaking landscape.
To support the project - head to this link
to make a submission of support.
Like any homework task, it won’t count if you CUT & PASTE a submission. Simply state what MTB means to you AND why a world class MTB resort would be another great reason to visit Australia. Here's some of my own reasons:
- Riding trails in a National Park will be amazing. An incredible and special setting that will make the ride truly unique.
- I spend too much on bikes and want amazing places to ride them.
- COVID isolation highlighted how important riding with mates is.
- The impact on flora and fauna of creating a narrow strip of singletrack is minimal as the extensive biodiversity report shows.
- The project is estimated to bring $48m dollarbux to the area annually.
- This project, along with others will make the Yarra Ranges a mecca for two-wheeled recreation and fertile ground for future champions on the dirt.
- Riding mountain bikes is the best mental health maintenance I know and when I ride, the worries of the world don't seem so heavy.
- My earliest thrill on two wheels was mountain biking and I couldn't imagine my life without those experiences, connecting with people and the land.
If you can spare the time to support - make a submission now.