We Are One Composites' Dustin Adams on the Downtime Podcast

Sep 11, 2018
by Downtime Podcast

Dustin Adams - Not Doing Things by Halves
Words - Chris Hall

Dustin Adams has had quite a ride so far! He was one of the first Canadian downhillers to really break into the American and World downhill scene, even taking a World Cup podium alongside Steve Peat and Fabien Barel. Some unfortunate turns meant that Dustin left the mountain bike scene for a while, but the lure of bikes was strong, and after some years away, he came back, this time as part of the industry. Dustin has recently set up We Are One Composites, and is making carbon wheels in Kamloops, Canada, rather than taking the more usual Far Eastern supply route. Not one to do things by halves, Dustin's story is pretty inspirational, and a great listen, so get stuck in using the player above.

You can also listen by searching for ‘Downtime Podcast’ on iTunes, Spotify, or Google Podcasts, by asking Alexa, or over on our website http://www.downtimepodcast.com/dustin-adams/ and you can follow us on Instagram @downtimepodcast

Awesome!!! Current We Are One Agent/Hope 29er wheel owner here. I’m 200lbs and ride in very rocky terrain. Having gone through many alloy rims (riding style described as “hack”) over the last few years I decided to take the plunge based on warranty and price. I’m very happy I did. About 50 rides later, with many large impacts and happy to report they haven’t needed so much as a true. Sure, they are scratched but no wheel around here is immune to that. They ride amazing and keep their line better than alloy. 100% worth it and can’t recommend enough.
 You just summed up my riding style into one word as well. "hack" says it all.
flag ShempHoward (Sep 12, 2018 at 4:20) (Below Threshold)
 The funny part is I'm 40 lbs lighter and would destroy that rim while riding smooth as silk in the roughest rock land, north east. I'll stay greasing the trails with my aluminum rims.
 @ShempHoward: I have the insiders with Huck Norris inserts and ride rough rock land in the east including bike park rock gardens and my rims are still solid and i weight 190 lbs. I am not a pro but i go down the rocks at a decent pace, again carbon is not for everyone.
flag ShempHoward (Sep 12, 2018 at 6:14) (Below Threshold)
 @fedfox: The funny part is I had carbon rims blasting at Plattekill 3 years ago. Can't imagine a better spot to test rims. Have run every alum rim under the sun there also. The biggest difference was 2 months to explosion vs 2-5 years of Mach speed and a few dents.
 @ShempHoward: you just made the case for buying a rim with a lifetime warranty. I got tired of buying new ones...also Cushcore.
 Any foam inserts?
flag ShempHoward (Sep 12, 2018 at 13:46) (Below Threshold)
 @adrennan: Not for me, I am admittedly a weight fiend when it comes to wheels. You would be shocked if you saw the Volkswagen sized rocks I Mach speed over with tiny ass tubes. Been there and done tubeless for stupid years. Have gone full seasons on a pair of $5 tubes thru rock hell. Of course have done the walk of shame also. Would be interested in trying them on the future, and maybe a better set of carbo hoops.
 @ShempHoward: if I run tubes, I am guaranteed a flat by the end of a ride.
flag RedRedRe (Sep 12, 2018 at 20:17) (Below Threshold)
 Breaking stuff means you are an inexperienced aka bad rider. Unless you are a pro or a serious racer. Stop bragging about it.
 @RedRedRe: Agreed , very happy to shred on parts that rival your age, skillz!
 @RedRedRe: Things break. It just happens. Components of all types of materials fatigue over time, and all will eventually fail. Maybe you replace your gear before it ever fails you, but ride any part long enough and it will fail.
 @pacificnorthwet: i probbaly broke any part that comes with a bike, frames, wheels, cranks, chainrings, pedals, bars, levers, seatposts, saddles, cassettes etc. etc.... this is when I was learning. Nowdays I still brake stuff on occasions but I am not smashing wheels and stuff.
 Dustin Adams rocks, and before Stevie Smith went pro and started rocking the world, was the fastest downhiller Canada ever produced!! Giver Kamloops!!
 All we are (one) is Dustin’s new rim. Everything is Dustin and rims.
 I think it also should be mentioned that the We Are One crew has been incredibly supportive of the local riding association in Kamloops (the "KBRA") including being ride leaders/chairing some of our weekly group rides, providing "refreshments", and showing people around their facility.
 Great to see a BC boy create a company like this in Kamloops!
 Loved this one, not your typical 'went and got my engineering degree, liked bikes so here I am' type interview, he actually has a story to tell.
 Got podcast. Dustin is a class act, always there for his customers. I interface with him before We are One.. kudos
 I bought a set of hoops laced with Hope’s earlier this year.
I was so happy with the service and even happier with how they’ve been riding. Dustin was an absolute beauty to work with.

Considering another set for my DH.
Handmade in Canada magic.
 Same here you're thinking agent or go full dh with outlier?
 @ybsurf: I have the Outlier on my Spartan. They're solid as. I'd rock the same on my DH.
But I ride a lot of Whistler and Nelson BC so they take a hit.
 I live on the shore, ride a lot and break more or less everything. I’m heavy and the terrain is rough so I try not to sweat it but I’ve gone through 2 Enduros, 3 Wreckonings, a Hightower and a Sentinel since 2013 (the replacement frames are in my buy and sell ads). During the same period I blew up 3 aluminum rims and 4 carbon rims. The frames were warrantied but the rims were expensive and the down days sucked. Last August I got on a set of WR1 Agents and have been on the same rims for 13 months. The product has exceeded my expectations by a long shot and when I needed to work with Dustin for hub parts the support was great. Highly recommend these guys.
flag RedRedRe (Sep 12, 2018 at 20:19) (Below Threshold)
 Maybe it is time to use some of the money on hiring a coach? Breaking stuff means poor skills.
 @RedRedRe: Maybe you don't ride much "tech" stuff where you are? Up here in parts BC the roots and rocks are ferociously unforgiving (especially on old school trails), and the advanced geometry allows us to go waaaay faster than years ago...
 @RedRedRe: Since I haven't broken these rims does that mean WR1 wheels provide an instant skill upgrade? That should definitely be better communicated in the marketing!
 We Are One rims are awesome. We all run them here at the OneUp office & we haven't had a single issue with our rims. Dustin is always a pleasure to deal with... Highly recommended!
 I run the ‘insider’ rims laced to king hubs on my Tallboy v3. Absolutely awesome wheelset. From ‘overflow’ at copper harbor to my home trails in NW Arkansas (including some pretty rocky dh lines) these wheels have been flawless. I have yet to touch a spoke wrench, and the ride feel is superb- precise but not harsh. Glad to be part of the movement- thanks for producing a great product in North America, and running one of the coolest small companies in the industry.
 Getting my new hoops tomorrow, so stoked to support a rad Canadian business! Not only do these guys support their local riding scene, Dustin, and We Are One for that matter have worked hard to help drive growth and development of racing in Canada.
 I've had the pleasure of dealing with Dustin and the group at WR1 since pre-launch days. Upmost professional company and service. I finally had the opportunity to get me some Agents 29 this spring. I sent them my DT240s to build up on some CX-Rays. They were great working with me on some custom decals as well to add a slight level of matchy-matchy bling for my Range. That process was great and very fast as well! The build turn around was fast and top notch. Haven't touched the wheels since. I fall into the Clydesdale category of rider... 230 lbs with not the smoothest riding style. As an industrial designer and having been in the industry for over 20 yrs. the quality of these rims is the best I have ever seen on any carbon product across any industry. Their straight from the mold technology blows my mind!!! Very proud to be part of the movement!!
 Agent 27.5 for me on Hopes. Agonised over carbon rims for ages. GF got some Enves, still wasn’t sure. Once saw a Spesh followed by an Ibis carbon rim break on the same day in Finale which really made me say “never”
Finally took the plunge -awesome! Great grip/compliance and really hold that off camber line, super accurate.Play nice with Maxxis WT.
Managed to crack rear one in the Alps this summer, big hole in DoubleDown tyre, still rode fine with a tube. So, let’s see if this lifetime warranty is for real then! Was arranging replacement in the bar at the end of the run with the UK agent. Replaced within 2 weeks and a free rebuild.
Great to be part of The Movement.
 BEST rims out there by far! I am in love with this company, the people behind the product and the overall passion they put into everything they create. Thanks guys for keeping us rolling smooth and straight ;-)
 I have the Agent 29” with king hubs. They replaced my dtswiss 27.5+ wheels. I am 220lbs and have taken them several times to the resort and lots of local trail riding. Was nervous at first because of the rocky terrain I ride but for the price, warranty and quality you can’t beat them.Love the wheels and the company. Could of got enve or Santa Cruz but liked the things I was hearing about WE ARE ONE.
 Props to Dustin and his crew for making good on being a Canadian company that makes a product people want and will spend the $ for. My next rims are coming from these guys! #hoser #hoserpower
 Got a set of Agent 29's laced to Hope Hubs. These guys were an absolute pleasure to deal with over emails, etc - and they make the best carbon rims around when you look at warranty, manufacturing, performance and aesthetics! Love these wheels Smile
 Dustin is a class act was a pleasure dealing with him when i bought my set of insiders with I9's. I was about to get the santa cruz wheels, but when they change their warranty to a life time i got them and could not be happier, very competitive price as well. The free customization was also a plus, great job WR1 keep it up
 Great story! Would love a set
 Proud member of this crew and our accomplishments. Dustin always slays a good story!
 And not afraid to slay a good beer. Or a shitty beer.
 @cooperquinn-wy: all the beers
 this guy is hardcore. communicates very very well for a guy who's got the drive of an Elon Musk. he could be a real madman and nut job to work for who knows! this is the kind of extreme personality you want running the company making serious bike parts for serious riders. i'm almost looking forward to my current rims dying as these are my next 100%.
 Score one for Canada, eh.
 50 plus sunpeaks park days on a trail bike on some of the early We are one 29er Agent wheels. Never broke a wheel and had zero problems. The wheels are beauty and the we are one crew even more. Can’t say enough good things!
 Just received my Outlier wheels last week and have already tested them out on some of the rockiest trails in my area - they hold a notably tighter line than my old aluminum wheels and so far they are bulletproof! Looking forward to having a set of wheels that last longer than a month or two!

Note that while I primarily trail ride, I went with the DH wheels because I am #240 and could care less about an extra 100 grams per wheel - particularly given my disregard for careful line choice in rough terrain.
 Great story, I'm looking forward to checking out the new frame he is working on. It'll be at the front of my list when that time comes.
 Love my wheels, they've been faultless all year. Great to be able to support a quality small business, and the uk distributor that hand build them on to Hope hubs in their tiny shop in Nottinghamshire. Top job all round!!!
 We are one website not working as of 9/11/18 10:22 PM. I see no images, only text.
 Works for me, currently.
 They have two sites. weareone.bike (working) the other main full url is glitchy I also noticed and mentioned to Dustin.
 Same here dealt with dustin in the early beginning when not too option were available for built and he got me specialmorder of i9 hubds with CJ ray spokes was awesome to deal with him super helpful and understanding
 Been on a set of Agent 29s with 321 Hubs for well over a year now.. at 220 #s + on a short travel bike.. Excellent set of wheels!
 Loving my Agent 29 on DT Swiss hubs, excellent quality wheels and feel fantastic.
 Has anyone had success with the discount? I tried ordering a wheelset with the discount and got the reply, "the customer doesn't have access to this reward."
 Ahh, the old promo code....another bug in the buying site....ugh..... The buyer has to select their items as they wish and enter the cart area. Once in the cart area, they confirm the spec is ok. There is a promo code area there.... just ignore it as it is not supposed to be there. Then they will enter in all their shipping and billing info.
The 3rd step is where they confirm everything is ok and can pay....it is on this page where they can enter their code and it will work for them.
If that doesn't work please email me sales@weareone.bike and I will be happy to help you through it.
 @serathestaii I am close to pulling the trigger on a new set of Agents. Can you share the discount code? Thanks!
 Been on Agent 29s for the last year. Wheels are bombproof, well priced, and the guys at We Are One have been great.
 Is that $1300 for a wheelset or just one wheel?
 Have destroyed every aluminum wheelset so far. Run XC tire pressure and hit stuff real hard. Really impressed with how these wheels can manage all the mistakes I’ve make.
 403 forbuidden. i think pinkbike has killed the server
 Go to weareone.bike Above URL has some glitches currently.
 @SuperstarComponents:

Some crappy news is our main site crashed on Monday and I have been working hard to get it up. There was a fire at our server host and we will be down for a few days on that site. The sales site www.weareone.bike is working fine and people can check out the products and buy there no problems.
 @WeAreOne: Glad you got it sorted, i know the cold sweats of website death!
 Picked up a set of Agents on Hopes a few weeks ago. Happy customer here!
 really good podcast. great story, stoked to see what he will do in the future.
 absolutley love my Agents. Great feel and quality. Lifetime crash warranty!
 Absolute legend. Love my rims, love those guys
 Truffle Shuffle.
 Wheels you can be proud of. Also, wheels built for 200lb hacks!
 Great wheels with the best warranty!