P1 Stock rim disaster

Mar 23, 2009 at 16:28
by Kai S  
The story of the lolp1 rims!It begins on Saturday the 21st.

So we stocked up with our tent, tins of food, pouches of rice and the other basics for a 2 days biking trip. Around 6:30 AM we took to the roads, from Leeds to Pickering up to Dalby Forest about 4-6 hours steady biking including food breaks. Sure we could have taken the car but this was a biking trip under human steam not a push over day trip.

After about an hour of uphill riding we called in at a Asda (Walmart for the Americans) and got ourselves a nice breakfast for the remaining hours of riding. The weather was hot and sweaty, humid more like, the kind of weather you can't breath in; the wind kept us cool though. After our breakfast we set off on the roads again, but not before a quick 30 minutes street session in and around the Asda/Walmart car park. It was fun... until security asked us to move out. After we were told to get lost we set back to the roads. We found ourselves taking quite a nice shortcut. About 2 miles from Asda to our left we found a dirt ride which seemed to be as straight as route 66 so we took it. To our suprise it was mainly down hill and the gravel was thin. After about 20 minutes riding down this path we took a stop because Tom had sprung a puncture, that's what you get for using hookers!!

After a quick 5 minute repair job we set off again and all was well for the next 2 hours. Since it was nearing dinner time we decided to look for a cafe, although I', afraid to say we found a 'nice' side of the road truck stop. We got ourselves 2 sausage butties each. After eating our butties we set out yet again for the remaining 2 hours of our ride time.

1 hour 48 minutes later, on schedule, we arrived at Pickering village and not far was Dalby Forest. We ventured further to Dalby.
Around 20-30 minutes later we arrived at Dalby and XC'd uphill to find a good camp spot.

We set up pitch in the middle of 4 trees, almost like a square, not far from the Black Trail. After setting up we packed all our bags and food away into the tent then took off to shred the trail.

After about 35 minutes intense riding i felt a slight wobble in my rear rim, the back end was shaking quite alot, I carried on thinking it was just the rocks on the berms kicking me about.

Finally reaching the double table top without thought i went for the first, just a small 4ft or so of air then on to the second. I hit the second at some speed and gave an average double bar spin with around 8-11ft of air. I hit the land ramp and my arse followed. 4 OF MY REAR SPOKES HAD SNAPPED AND THE REST HAD BENT 90 DEGREES BECAUSE OF THE BACK WHEEL LANDING HAD SNAPPED THE RIM WHICH WAS ALREADY BENT. At the time I had no idea it was bent, obviously it was otherwise this wouldn't have happened.

Now with no way of transport home I gave my sister a call, she drove up the same day and picked me and Tom up, the tent and all the gear. Got home, went straight on the internet bought myself a Halo S.A.S. and had it laced the following day. Thank f*ck a good rim! Now just need a front 1 or just a complete new bike! Razz

So.. What did I realise on this trip? The standard stock P1 rims are good for light street/park only! Stick to the real DJ Rims!!

Moral of the story: Always take spares on a biking trip and definately a mobile!


Post a Comment

You must login to Pinkbike.
Don't have an account? Sign up

Join Pinkbike  Login
Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.010568
Mobile Version of Website