Surrey (BC, Canada), is getting a new covered skate park in the near future. We are wanting ideas for this park.
Surrey has been recently approved for a grant from the federal government of Canada, for a new covered skate park in Tom Binnie park. Surrey really wants the opinion of riders like you and I on this park. Inside is info on what they are planning to do, and info about meetings where YOU should attend.New Line skate parks are going to be building this skate park, so you know it will be built right.
Below is an email from Jay Meneely, who is Surrey's Parks Designer
[Quoten]The project requires the expertise of designers who really know what they’re doing and it goes well beyond my abilities so we have joined forces with one of North America’s leading youth park designers, NewLine Skateparks through a partnership with van der Zalm + Associates, which is a landscape architecture firm. As well, CEI Architecture (the architects who designed the building for Chuck Bailey Rec Centre) has been brought in because a large portion of this youth park is going to be open-air but covered so it can be used on the rainy days too.
The idea will be something similar to the Vancouver Skate Plaza under the viaducts just east of GM Place (another NewLine/van der Zalm project) but unlike that project (which I think had a $300,000 budget) the budget for this project will be over $1 million.
The project scope calls for (but is not necessarily limited to):
· A plaza with seating opportunities and locations for outdoor art (some may be “skateable artwork”)
· A half-court or courts for one-on-one basketball, etc.
· A covered area that can be used for informal ball hockey (we won’t have full height boards but maybe some low concrete walls/curbs to keep the ball in play)
· An urban/street-style park for BMX/inline skate/skateboard users including a small concrete halfpipe.
· A free-standing structure/shelter with a ceiling height of at least 6 metres (18 feet) for all weather use which will include lighting and wiring for sound on days where events are called for.
· Some on-site drainage management through bio-retention features.
· Overall, we want to also showcase local materials and supplieers[/Quoten]
These features can be easily changed, which is why we need you to come out to the upcoming meeting (which will have free pizza)!
Here is the info on the meeting:
When: Thursday January 28th 5:00pm-7:00pm (TONIGHT!)
Where: North Surrey Youth Lounge 10275 135 Street
What: This is an evening where we can get together with the youth and other partners to discuss details and the construction of the new Urban Youth Park that will be developed at the new Chuck Bailey Recreation Centre. There will be food and refreshments served along with the chance to add your input and suggestions to the design and construction company that will be heading this exciting project!
Please bring yourself and any youth that may be interested in joining us for the evening.
Have any questions, please forward them to me and I will pass them on!