I'm 16 years old and my hometown is Mount Albert, Ontario, Canada. This past season was a great one for progression both personally and on my bike. I got to attend various competitions including Crankworx Colorado and I'm already looking forward to next season.Inside is a look at what I did in 2009 (with a video recap), my 2010 plans and some pics
,I've lived in Queensville Ontario for all my life. My dad owns a demolition company so I used his machines to build my jumps. I had tons of dirt jump and slopestyle lines at my old house - wall rides, wooden platforms, drops and big jumps. Unfortunately we recently had to move because the highway (404) will soon be going through where we lived, so now I live in Mount Albert where I have started to build some jumps but not nearly as good as the ones I had in Queensville.Winter training in Ontario - do what you gotta do!
Competitions in 2009
- Toronto International Bike Show -1st and 2nd
- We were scheduled to go to Goat Style but couldn't attend because of a broken thumb, so the next competition was Crankworx Colorado (which would be when my thumb was healed)
-8 weeks after I broke my thumb we were at Winterpark in Colorado where Crankworx was being held. Practice at Crankworx Colorado was the first time back on my bike since my accident. In practice I over rotated a backflip and got a concussion, and could not ride in the competition.
- After healing from my concussion I got about a month of practice and riding in before the last competition of the year in Ontario, which was Ontario's first slopestyle competition ever, (Cornstock Jam) which I placed 1st!
For the 2009 season I have been riding an 09 Norco 4 Hun as a hardtail and a Norco 4x for a slope style bike:2009 Recap:
This winter I'll train when I can and enjoy the snow here in Ontario. For the 2010 season, I'm planning on attending the following events:
- Goat Style in Creston BC
- Claymore Challenge at Highlands Bike Park
- Crankworx Colorado
- Crankworx Whistler
- Ontario competitions like the Havok Jam and Cornstock Jam
I've also worked part time at a local bike shop since I was 14, Spoke O'motion in Newmarket, Ontario (www.spokeomotion.com
). The guys at the shop have been a huge help with everything as well as Norco Bikes. Also a big thanks to my family and friends for their support!
Thanks so much!Brett