Powered by Outside

Twistshift/Gripshift:revisited

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
Twistshift/Gripshift:revisited
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Mar 21, 2012 at 14:12 Quote
OK, after many years with trigger shifters I have decided to try twistshifts....knew i hated them back in the day but did not remember why?

will post findings here when I have tweaked them in and given them a workout.

anyone else given them a second chance recently?

Posted: Mar 22, 2012 at 5:00 Quote
Fitted.... and I havent taken them off yet! bit of faffing to get the levers set as have to take them off to adjust the reach. using Avid Juicy 7s and the lenth is fine for 1 finger an 2 is no prob.
cut down a grip to 90mm and with the X9 grip width is 135mm, enough room for my largish hands to grip without the bump of the X9 being obtrusive,

first ride impressions, after tweaking are good, they work just fine. and feel better fitted than the do when you try them loose. nice to get rid of the clutter around the bars, ruined gloves and my thumb too many times with the X0 knife-like lever.

I have been a LONG time Shimano finger/thumb user, never a problem
went to an SRAM X9/ X0 setup-cant say I found it any better or reliable than an XT setup. and pesonally dont like the shifter layout :-(

So far so good, going to live with them a while and see if I adjust. and if they change gears, or other silly stuff when I dont want them to... TBC..

Posted: Mar 27, 2012 at 3:40 Quote
Hmm... what can I say they just work nice, no probs at all so far apart from occasionally wiggling my thumb in the air....going to so some rocky downhill runs and see if they play up,
photo

photo

Posted: Mar 31, 2012 at 9:50 Quote
Well seeing as I was going to try and turn my bike into an automatic shift on some bumby trails I thought that it might be best if the chain stayed put. Swapped some bits round, glued my contacts in and set off.

Drivetrain overcompensating for limp-wristed shiftersRolleyes
RF bash 1 2 a freeride tensioner shimano M532 36T XTR960. fits on quick and shifts quick

36/22 front, 11/34 rear, okay but is a little undergeared for some of the wide open tracks, oh well will just have to stop pedaling and find stuff to bump off instead (at least the chain will stop bouncing into random gears)

the twistys behaved themselves no silly gear changes etc, bit dissapointed really I wanted to be able to say something more....other than managing to dislodge a contact lens...(do RaceFace do optics i wonder).

I do like the lack of rattle and clang with the guide, maybe a 38 or 40 on the front with a 36 on the back.....hmmmm.

my2 cents shifters all work fine, just take your pick, dont write twistys off without trying them first

Posted: Apr 2, 2012 at 2:33 Quote
Okay one of my fillings actually fell out on a rocky bumpy DHWhip and no unitentional shifting.Really Mad

Twistys +1
Dentist +1
Fillings -1

Posted: Apr 8, 2012 at 7:05 Quote
keepers, X0 3/9sp for sale..Big Grin

shifting is second nature now, try as i might no funny shifting, glad i took the time to try them out.

these trails are unmarked and you can t see them from below explore....

Posted: Jun 3, 2012 at 15:11 Quote
shifties still doing the biz: noted the following

1. false semi shifts: only if i get sloppy on the twisting (holding it between 2 clicks in a death grip:lolSmile , it is really responsive so if you are holding it and have it twisted just a few deg. it can try and climb to the next cog.

2. without gloves it is a bit slippery when your hands get sweaty (but the grip is quite worn) fine with gloves on.

3. simultaneous front and rear shifting is a bit tricky (took some practice to get it dialed)

4. no problems braking into corners and changing gears, can do it v fast with practice, bit like riding a motorbike,
(I run the front brake on the RH side)

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.013703
Mobile Version of Website