Powered by Outside

Shimano Zee and Avid rotors

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Shimano Zee and Avid rotors
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Dec 29, 2013 at 9:32 Quote
so i bought a brand new pair of Zees and pretty stoked on them.. but i did not buy any mounting hardware for it

so right now the zees are bolted to avid brake adapters and bolted to my '11 r2c2

can i just adjust the calipers by shimming them around so the pads are full contact with the rotor? or buy the shimano brake adapters

i can not find shimano boxxer brake adapters

FYI- '11 commy supreme 8, '11 boxxer r2c2 .. if that helps any

thanks

Posted: Dec 29, 2013 at 15:26 Quote
Don't needa specific boxxer adapter. Just a front post mount 180 to 203 adapter.

Posted: Dec 30, 2013 at 5:55 Quote
NineOneSix wrote:
Don't needa specific boxxer adapter. Just a front post mount 180 to 203 adapter.

im not sure if i understand..

as of right now, the REAR brakes look good/ line up with the rotor

but the front, the pad is about 1/4 of the way off the rotor/ only using 75% of pad contact

i was thinking of shimming it so i am using full pad contact?

and if there is something needed to be purchased, i am not sure what item #

edit: i am still using avid rotors

Posted: Dec 30, 2013 at 13:21 Quote
What size rotor do you have on the front? 2010 onwards have post mount that'll for a 180mm rotor with no adaptor.

Posted: Dec 30, 2013 at 16:45 Quote
i have an avid 203mm in the front

O+
Posted: Dec 30, 2013 at 16:51 Quote
Avid rotors are 200mm. You should be able to run the Zee's as long as you have a 200mm rotor adapter.

I'm currently running Avid Codes with a shimano 203 adapter and 203mm shimano rotors and it fits perfectly.

Posted: Jan 16, 2014 at 15:50 Quote
cmkneeland wrote:
Avid rotors are 200mm. You should be able to run the Zee's as long as you have a 200mm rotor adapter.

I'm currently running Avid Codes with a shimano 203 adapter and 203mm shimano rotors and it fits perfectly.

so what am i missing here, friends??

Unsecure image, only https images allowed: http://i.share.pho.to/818c4159_l.jpeg
Unsecure image, only https images allowed: http://i.share.pho.to/151dc1fd_l.jpeg
Unsecure image, only https images allowed: http://i.share.pho.to/47e084fd_l.jpeg

O+
Posted: Jan 16, 2014 at 16:39 Quote
Are they still not lining up? I had a problem with my rear adapter not lining up. I had to get an Avid rear adapter for my 203 rotors because the Hayes and Shimano 203 adapters didn't allow my Codes to line up. But I was able to get a Shimano front 203 adapter to work with my Codes.

You may need shimano specific adapters for a 200mm rotor....if they make them.

O+ FL
Posted: Jan 16, 2014 at 17:55 Quote
Take out the washers/spacer(s) that you have between the caliper and the adapter on the front. Shimano calipers don't use the same CPS mounting system Avid does, so there shouldn't be anything between them. I bet it will line up properly if you do that.

Posted: Jan 16, 2014 at 18:07 Quote
singletracker wrote:
Take out the washers/spacer(s) that you have between the caliper and the adapter on the front. Shimano calipers don't use the same CPS mounting system Avid does, so there shouldn't be anything between them. I bet it will line up properly if you do that.

well the back is "bottomed out" with no spacers, and still doesnt grab 100% of the rotor

the front, i tried taking all the spacers out, but the button head bolt that bolts into the fork makes contact with the caliper

i am a machinist and have no problem taking a fly cut to the adapters to allow closer and better contact..... just didn't think i had to take it that far? lol

O+ FL
Posted: Jan 16, 2014 at 19:19 Quote
Hmm, well I don't know what to tell you man. You might try the Shimano adapters for 203mm rotors, or finding some bolts to hold the adapter to the fork that are not quite as tall. I've used the same style adapter as you with multiple calipers from Avid, Shimano, and Formula, and never had an issue, but I've also never used the newer Saint/Zee style calipers either. Good luck figuring it out, I'm sure as a machinist you can rig something up.

Posted: Feb 20, 2015 at 13:18 Quote
trumbullhucker55 wrote:
so i bought a brand new pair of Zees and pretty stoked on them.. but i did not buy any mounting hardware for it

so right now the zees are bolted to avid brake adapters and bolted to my '11 r2c2

can i just adjust the calipers by shimming them around so the pads are full contact with the rotor? or buy the shimano brake adapters

thanks

@trumbullhucker55 did you manage to sort this out? I've just upgraded to Zee's from Avid and have a similar sounding problem where I've fitted shimano 203mm post to post adapter with 203mm rotor and am only getting contact over about 60% of braking surface. I've got no spacers so can't lower caliper any more. Can't get my head around what's wrong. Any advice from your experience?

Cheers

Posted: Feb 20, 2015 at 13:56 Quote
PedroTheBandit wrote:
trumbullhucker55 wrote:

thanks

@trumbullhucker55 did you manage to sort this out? I've just upgraded to Zee's from Avid and have a similar sounding problem where I've fitted shimano 203mm post to post adapter with 203mm rotor and am only getting contact over about 60% of braking surface. I've got no spacers so can't lower caliper any more. Can't get my head around what's wrong. Any advice from your experience?

Cheers

Panic over just found this on another site "You'd need a 183 post to post adapter if your fork is a 180post mount as standard as you need 23mm lift to get from 180 to 203 the same as post mount fork going 160 to 183..
Hope do em..
Like this the 183 version not the 203 one as that'll lift it 43mm not 23mm as they're for 160mm post mount forks as standard"
Will post if this works

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.023555
Mobile Version of Website