Powered by Outside

Your Spray Painted Stuff?

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
Your Spray Painted Stuff?
Posted: Jul 28, 2008 at 1:50 Quote
does spray painting your bike add much weight to it?

Posted: Jul 28, 2008 at 2:31 Quote
ocrap wrote:

Oh come on...

Posted: Jul 28, 2008 at 2:43 Quote
TommahawkBike wrote:
ocrap wrote:

Oh come on...

no its a valid question, and no it doesnt add much if anything, just sand and prepare the bike properly and it will be the same

Posted: Jul 28, 2008 at 2:50 Quote
I know its a valid question but if you think about it...

Posted: Jul 28, 2008 at 5:49 Quote
TommahawkBike wrote:

Yeah that's taking weight weenie-ism to a whole new level.

For the guy who asked... it adds weight, but putting helium in the tires counterbalances the effect.

Posted: Jul 28, 2008 at 5:53 Quote
if you feel the weight of a can of spray paint after you finished painting you realise it must add quite a few grams to the bike, but nothing that I would worry about. probably as much weight and a few spacers

Posted: Jul 28, 2008 at 6:01 Quote
AdamKS wrote:
if you feel the weight of a can of spray paint after you finished painting you realise it must add quite a few grams to the bike, but nothing that I would worry about. probably as much weight and a few spacers

but if you sand down to the frame, then all the old paint will be replaced

Posted: Jul 28, 2008 at 6:04 Quote
well that weight you feel in the can isn't all being transfered to your bike, 99% of that is paint solvents the evaporate when the paint dries. if your that worried about weight then you can do what im going to do with my next bike... anodize

Posted: Jul 28, 2008 at 8:06 Quote
ninjatarian wrote:
well that weight you feel in the can isn't all being transfered to your bike, 99% of that is paint solvents the evaporate when the paint dries. if your that worried about weight then you can do what im going to do with my next bike... anodize

What he said.

And also when you feel the weight of the can, the can probably makes up a fair bit of the weight you can feel.

Posted: Jul 28, 2008 at 8:10 Quote
well you are putting 3 cans of spray on arn't you

Posted: Jul 28, 2008 at 10:39 Quote
JokerMachine wrote:
JuStIn19 wrote:
that looks really wierd to me

I agree. I don't wanna bash your bike, but that "neither here nor there" shade of purple (not light enough to be lavender... not dark enough to be regal...) and the fire truck red are terribly clashing and it basically looks like you put together two SuperCycle BMX bikes. You shouldn't have went with 2 bright colors, maybe make the frame a dark color and then offset it with bright accents, or make it the other way around. Or at least pick two colors that go together well like orange and blue.

It would have turned out nicer if you actually used a paint that didn't fade so quick or had a nice bright shade to it, as well.
yeah. if you are going to paint cars, boats, bikes, whatever, you will see that the manufacturers will tend to use deep, rich colors. they do this so that it will not appear that the paint is fading, and the part will look new longer. if you like the purple frame, then i would go for a deeper regal purple and then a contrasting color, like yellow. but in general, use deeper colors when doing custom paint jobs. it looks factory and brand new longer.

Posted: Jul 28, 2008 at 16:08 Quote
heres mine..

photo

Posted: Jul 28, 2008 at 21:19 Quote
JokerMachine wrote:
TommahawkBike wrote:

Yeah that's taking weight weenie-ism to a whole new level.

For the guy who asked... it adds weight, but putting helium in the tires counterbalances the effect.[/B[
It's been proven that helium does nothing to make your bike lighter.

Posted: Jul 28, 2008 at 21:21 Quote
He was probably joking... the guy said how much weight will paint add and the dude was like fill ur tires with helium and you won't notice.

lol

Posted: Jul 29, 2008 at 1:07 Quote
ilikemybike011 wrote:
He was probably joking... the guy said how much weight will paint add and the dude was like fill ur tires with helium and you won't notice.

lol

Glad to see someone got it. Rolleyes tup

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.016700
Mobile Version of Website