Powered by Outside

Trail Conditions for Calgarians

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Trail Conditions for Calgarians
O+
Posted: Jul 16, 2013 at 13:55 Quote
tcwarne wrote:
VPS13 wrote:
...dedicated community I think things will be bigger and better than before...

I only wish I had your faith. JPR+Cox used to be an IMBA epic but has seen zero love and now off the list. Instead the likes of Rossland with a population of 3,500 put out a trail like 7Summits-Dewdney (IMBA epic and best trail in several bike magazines a few years back) and that same small community maintain it in awesome condition. If you've ridden both its pretty obvious why they are on and we are off the 'epic' list (I'd agree with VPS13 that our view is marginally better tho).

Great to see the passion from several people for the local trails, be even better to see our 'dedicated community' (Calgary is over 1,000,000 people, 30x the likes of small town BC) put words into action tho. Please prove me wrong and get out and fix up some our trails to return them to their former glory.

(NB I'll happily extend the credit I gave MMBTS trail crews to crews in Bragg Creek and Bow Valley for their work in recent years - again they show what small communities can accomplish).

A few subjective thoughts about your seven summits/jp cox comparison:

From what I remember the southern half of 7 summits is pretty chewed up and somewhat comparable to cox downhill. I found this section to be the funnest part of the ride though.

Also I love rossland, I usually go there go for a week in the winter and a couple days in the summer, but i have to disagree that the views from jp/cox is just marginally better than seven summits. The view of giant cut block, the cominco smelter, ski hill, low rounded mountains and far away selkirks cannot come close to the up close view of the front ranges that jp-cox affords.

Also i feel that people forgot the amount of long distance loops that we have in the Rockies. Just look at eastcotts book. Don't get me wrong I love bc riding and I spend a lot of time there in the summer, but we have some amazing riding on this side of the divide.

O+
Posted: Jul 16, 2013 at 14:31 Quote
curbhuck wrote:
tcwarne wrote:
WBC trails are convenient but if your comparing to options over the border (BC) you'll be disappointed - WBC gets very busy (at peak times), multi-use, overly wide trail, 2-direction (with the build and user issues that entails), etc...
Strange Brew is great but compared to Half Nelson (Squamish)? Witch loop versus Uprooted-HyperV-HyperE or Lactic Ridge-Slunt-Brokeback (Fernie)? JPR+Cox versus 7Summits (Rossland)? Special K versus Paper Bag (Nelson)? Don't get me wrong, local is convenient but everything is relative. Exception may be MMBTS trails that can hold face with many bike park trails.
You never hear of anyone from Fernie, Columbia Valley, Revy or further West coming to our neck of the woods to ride (unless they have business in Calgary).
If your comparing it to Calgary then wow you'll be impressed!! Enjoy the stepping stone progression then plan a trip to BC. Revy next on my list...

The Moose DH trails are the most under rated in Canada in my opinion, as for the XC stuff, I'll take roots, rocks and ruts over buff berms any day of the week.

I like it all. What I don't like is some of the aggregate they are using at the Nordic Centre as fill. It breaks down and becomes gravel on the compact surface. I love the dirt of trails like Pnuema.

Posted: Jul 16, 2013 at 14:35 Quote
Yeah the nordic center does all kinds of wacky stuff.

O+
Posted: Jul 16, 2013 at 14:54 Quote
curbhuck wrote:
The Moose DH trails are the most under rated in Canada in my opinion, as for the XC stuff, I'll take roots, rocks and ruts over buff berms any day of the week.

exactly, that is why IMO all the new XC stuff built in west bragg and moose area sucks, I don't like it and don't plan on ever riding it. Give me nasty rocks and roots and I'll be happy.

Posted: Jul 16, 2013 at 15:23 Quote
Well I guess variety is the spice of life!Eek

O+
Posted: Jul 16, 2013 at 19:26 Quote
Is there a "correct" way to do the Northern Flow loop in West Bragg? I don't do it often but when I do I go counter clockwise but there sure seemed to be a lot of people going the other way. It was a beautiful night with approximately 100 million people in the parking lot.

Oh yes, and sincere apologies to the blond girl doing the technical climb at the end of Reconnect who I thoughtlessly bombed past.

O+
Posted: Jul 16, 2013 at 20:34 Quote
hizzity wrote:
curbhuck wrote:

exactly, that is why IMO all the new XC stuff built in west bragg and moose area sucks, I don't like it and don't plan on ever riding it. Give me nasty rocks and roots and I'll be happy.

The bermy, flowy stuff is great for introducing people to mountain biking, sort of like a gateway drug. I also bet that everyone riding those trails is really glad you will never ride them either Smile .

All this complaining about the different trails that people have built, closed trails due to floods we should all be glad to be back out riding with some great weather coming for the next extended period.

O+
Posted: Jul 16, 2013 at 20:34 Quote
weirdodad wrote:
Is there a "correct" way to do the Northern Flow loop in West Bragg? I don't do it often but when I do I go counter clockwise but there sure seemed to be a lot of people going the other way. It was a beautiful night with approximately 100 million people in the parking lot.

Oh yes, and sincere apologies to the blond girl doing the technical climb at the end of Reconnect who I thoughtlessly bombed past.

"Clockwise" is best, it was designed that way and makes for a true fast descent , as for the south loop it was made for counter clockwise with a start at ranger summit , strange brew is a down only design of trail. Riders snarl bad when your trying to go up it reverse . Side note - what was with all the hikers and runners on the trail tonight ? They have everywhere else to use trails and we as cyclist are down to only a few trails open to ride since flood, a few runners even commented negatively about how many bikes on trail as we passed them.

Posted: Jul 16, 2013 at 20:55 Quote
Jumpingpound Ridge CoxHill
July 16
Powder face Trail is repaired, bridges included, all the way to canyon creek/McDougall Memorial
JP ridge is very lush at the start, then becomes a creek bed until the bridge(survived) on the climb
DH to the Saddle isn't bad save that one death rutted corner
CoxHill never looked more beautiful! Trail is great, some repairs are needed up there but most of the DH is better than ever!!
Go enjoy folks, but no shuttles!
Road is still closed to trAffic which was nice except for one pickup that surprised me.

O+
Posted: Jul 16, 2013 at 21:03 Quote
jmercier wrote:
weirdodad wrote:

"Clockwise" is best, it was designed that way and makes for a true fast descent , as for the south loop it was made for counter clockwise with a start at ranger summit , strange brew is a down only design of trail. Riders snarl bad when your trying to go up it reverse . Side note - what was with all the hikers and runners on the trail tonight ? They have everywhere else to use trails and we as cyclist are down to only a few trails open to ride since flood, a few runners even commented negatively about how many bikes on trail as we passed them.

I prefer that loop cc - the descent down Reconnect and then Braggin Rights back to the parking lot is a hoot. I saw a lot of runners at West Bragg too tonight - but , hey , the weather was awesome and they (hopefully) advocate for the trails too. I didn't hear any complaints but had I done so I would explain that the trails were largely built by MTBers , but they are welcome to use them.

O+
Posted: Jul 16, 2013 at 21:17 Quote
garyfischer wrote:
jmercier wrote:
weirdodad wrote:

I prefer that loop cc - the descent down Reconnect and then Braggin Rights back to the parking lot is a hoot. I saw a lot of runners at West Bragg too tonight - but , hey , the weather was awesome and they (hopefully) advocate for the trails too. I didn't hear any complaints but had I done so I would explain that the trails were largely built by MTBers , but they are welcome to use them.

Anybody willing to help, promote , build and maintain trails is great, hope it works out that way , don't think those runners will be back soon, can't wait to see more stuff open so we can take some strain off of WBC trails, sure is busy after work rides, the sport has exploded in the last couple of years, if I was rich I would open a trail centre park - similar to all the ones in the U.K , they got that idea right . Canmore Nordic centre is doing a great job of rebuild after the damage.

Posted: Jul 17, 2013 at 0:48 Quote
Side note - what was with all the hikers and runners on the trail tonight ? They have everywhere else to use trails and we as cyclist are down to only a few trails open to ride since flood, a few runners even commented negatively about how many bikes on trail as we passed them.[/Quote]
weather was awesome and they (hopefully) advocate for the trails too. I didn't hear any complaints but had I done so I would explain that the trails were largely built by MTBers , but they are welcome to use them.[/Quote]

I hear you about the runners, but at the CNC they were all awesome as they were racing and we got caught on their course
I had one runner try to run past me on a DH as I was climbing once, srumbled and stepped on my rim, tweaking it out of true
He had no respect for climber right of way and I let him know I didn't appreciate it but most times I never have an issue. If they give me attitude I say go to Healy creek and minnesanka! We ant go there at all! So if ur on a trail open to bikes made by bikers? I'll tell u where to go Big Grin

Posted: Jul 17, 2013 at 6:57 Quote
Nothing like a good bitch about runners. I have also experienced some attitude on WB trails, despite slowing right down, being friendly, asking for the trail and thanking them. I have also recently got "where's your bell" riding at Lake Louise after again calling out, asking if I can pass, etc.

I'm also not impressed with a lot of runners on the pathway system in town. Inconsiderate cyclists might be more dangerous due to speed, but...

However, not all of our brethren subscribe to ms. manners so some friction seems inevitable. At least the local hiking community seem to have figured out that Race etc. are not good hiking trails.

O+
Posted: Jul 17, 2013 at 7:49 Quote
That's great news about JP/Cox!

Posted: Jul 17, 2013 at 7:57 Quote
hizzity wrote:
curbhuck wrote:

"Mortal Kombat for Sega Genesis is the best game ever"

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.016025
Mobile Version of Website