(old) Headset removal.

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
(old) Headset removal.
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Sep 25, 2010 at 7:48 Quote
So i want to remove the forks from an old frame but i cant actually get the headset off. I think it might be a MODUS Variform but im not 100% about the modus bit. My instincts are to hit it with a hammer on the bottom, but i wanted to get some advice before i beat it to death, lol. heres pics:

photo
photo
photo
photo

Thanks.

Posted: Sep 25, 2010 at 8:07 Quote
you dont need to remove the headset to take of the forks

Posted: Sep 25, 2010 at 8:27 Quote
you should be able to just pop the fork out the bottom. no need to remove a headset to remove the fork with a threadless system.

Posted: Sep 25, 2010 at 9:28 Quote
gordanfreman wrote:
you should be able to just pop the fork out the bottom. no need to remove a headset to remove the fork with a threadless system.

I did not realise it was a threadless system, but i did try to slide the forks out to no avail. Should i try with a bit more force?

Posted: Sep 25, 2010 at 9:45 Quote
Tom-Ryde wrote:
gordanfreman wrote:

I did not realise it was a threadless system, but i did try to slide the forks out to no avail. Should i try with a bit more force?

hit it really hard on the top with a mallet or hammer and wooden block, it should slide out

Posted: Sep 25, 2010 at 9:50 Quote
vengeance111 wrote:

hit it really hard on the top with a mallet or hammer and wooden block, it should slide out

Nice one mate, im on it. Just didnt want to break anything, lol.

Posted: Sep 25, 2010 at 9:54 Quote
Thanks guys, basically i think the top of the headset had somehow welded itself to the steerer tube. I hit the steerer tube with a mallet and that seemed to sort it out, lol

you can close this thread if need be.

Posted: Sep 25, 2010 at 10:08 Quote
there is a lockring on most headsets, which is why it didn't move till you hit it.

Posted: Sep 25, 2010 at 10:10 Quote
It's an expander wedge that holds all in place,this is what sticks and needs a good whack to make it shift.

Posted: Sep 27, 2010 at 14:55 Quote
lockrings are found on older style threaded systems, not on threadless. minor corrosion or grime can cause a fork to stick, or just nice tight tolerances between the steertube and headset. a good tap with a rubber mallet should take care of the problem. glad you got it sorted.

Posted: Sep 28, 2010 at 8:14 Quote
gordanfreman wrote:
lockrings are found on older style threaded systems, not on threadless. minor corrosion or grime can cause a fork to stick, or just nice tight tolerances between the steertube and headset. a good tap with a rubber mallet should take care of the problem. glad you got it sorted.
I think what threw me was the space on the top of the headset where the rubber wedge normally goes, i thought it was a different type of headset. Well that and it was quite badly stuck.

Posted: Sep 28, 2010 at 11:35 Quote
Tom-Ryde wrote:
gordanfreman wrote:
I think what threw me was the space on the top of the headset where the rubber wedge normally goes, i thought it was a different type of headset. Well that and it was quite badly stuck.

you have to hit mine at full power with a big hammer over and over again until it even starts to move

Posted: Sep 29, 2010 at 7:26 Quote
vengeance111 wrote:
Tom-Ryde wrote:
gordanfreman wrote:

you have to hit mine at full power with a big hammer over and over again until it even starts to move

Use a rubber/wooden mallet,if you use a metal hammer you will flair the steer er tube.

Posted: Sep 29, 2010 at 9:15 Quote
marquis wrote:
vengeance111 wrote:
Tom-Ryde wrote:

Use a rubber/wooden mallet,if you use a metal hammer you will flair the steer er tube.

i normally put a wooden block under a normal hammer

O+ FL
Posted: Sep 29, 2010 at 11:58 Quote
hit the side of the steerer and it will knock the top wedge loose

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.015253
Mobile Version of Website