2012 Giant Reign X1

PB Forum :: Giant
2012 Giant Reign X1
  • Previous Page
Posted: Nov 18, 2011 at 7:38 Quote
My Reign X1 finally shipped this weekend!

If you have any questions or requests to see a certain part of the rig, let me know.

The blue is a different shade than I was expecting. It's not as bright, but it's growing on me.

The only real surprise out of the box was that the MRP LRP chainguide listed in the online spec sheet was swapped out for the better (and more appropriate) MRP 2x Chainguide. I had already shipped in the 2x. So, now I have two... Also, it seems like there is so much cable. This can be fixed, but I'd rather ride the new thing than work on it right now.

Dialing in the Fox air shocks was super easy. The Giant adjustable seatpost is great (it's my first experience with adjustable). The wide Giant Contact AM handlebar is so much wider than I have experience with. It's a slight bit awkward on tight singletrack where I'm normally used to squeezing through trees. There was some cable stretch to the SRAM X7 front derailleur, which freaked me out, but it turned out to be an easy fix.

The frame is a Medium. The full setup weighed in at 32.18 lbs.

I'm 6'3" and probably 215lbs. with knee/shin guards, FF helmet, and 3L pack. The bike is easy to throw around and I was very comfortable downhill and up. With a little adjustment of seat height and saddle positioning, I'm certain that I'll be perfectly comfortable

My first impression is that I literally laughed the whole way down my usual aggressive trail. As I blew through every feature that my primitive Giant Brass made me work to overcome, I kept thinking, "This isn't even fair!." I don't have experience on a wide variety of bikes, but I do know this: I've been riding BMX freestyle and, in the last two years, mountain bike DJ and FR since my training wheels were taken off 20 years ago, and the Giant Reign X1 is like this grand revelation of what biking is supposed to be like. I can't wait to eventually head west to the Rockies and really push this bike to its limits.

2012 Giant Reign X1

Fox 36 FLOAT R Performance 160mm

Fox DHX 5.0 Air Giant Maestro suspension MRP 2x Chainguide

Posted: Dec 2, 2011 at 23:05 Quote
got picture...?

Posted: Jan 25, 2012 at 13:14 Quote
Sorry for taking so long to post pictures. I've had several issues with Fox.

Two weeks after the purchase, the rebound knob broke out of my fork. When the fork came back from Fox, a week later the rebound knob was frozen on the shock with the possibility of a small leak as well.. I finally have the bike back in one piece as of last week.

My buddy bought the frame-only and swapped his parts over. We both agree that the DHX Air isn't performing the way we anticipated. It blows through travel quickly so we have to run them pretty stiff. I'm 210lbs, and I am forced to run 290psi in the main chamber and 175psi boost. I haven't hit the trails yet, after the shock was remounted. Hopefully it will perform better.

If you have any questions about the bike, feel free to ask.

O+
Posted: Feb 6, 2012 at 9:24 Quote
Did you get out and ride lately? Looking to get this bike and i'm looking for all the feedback I can get. Thanks for all you've posted so far.

Posted: Feb 6, 2012 at 12:51 Quote
I honestly haven't gotten a good ride since I got the shock back. Weather and some family circumstances have kept me off the trail.

I'm moving on to a new Giant Faith. My dad is buying this bike from me. It's a medium and I needed a Large. So, it's better suited for his height and weight anyway. As far as the Reign X is concerned, it's an outstanding bike. It's so plush, but the Maestro suspension leaves little need for the Fox pro-pedal. The DHX-Air, for me, used more travel under lighter loads than expected, but this is probably more due to my need for a Large frame and shock tune than anything else. It's the perfect trail/all-mountain bike when sized appropriately with the rider and I'm glad I'll still have access to it. Were I keeping the bike, I would eventually upgrade to larger brakes.

The biggest ride I did on the bike was a 12 mile loop at a Texas State Park.It climbed and descended the rocky/rooty East Texas singletrack mixed with clay and sandy flats easily. The Maxxis Minion DHF tires might not posses the best climbing grip, but a little technique can compensate and they are well worth having for blasting descents (which is where the fun is, anyway).

I'll never forget my first trail on this bike. Something clicked in my brain as I laughed all the way down the trail. It was that "Ah ha!" moment when I realized just how mountain biking was supposed to feel. I'm moving on to the Faith because I want a dedicated freeride bike that is sized appropriately and won't warrant any second guesses when hitting large drops and awkward jumps under my 215lbs.

If you have specific questions, you can ask here or message me.

Posted: Apr 10, 2012 at 2:09 Quote
Hello,

Your bike is very nice !

I am looking to get the same, but I hear there was one problem with the lower link. I know old versions (2010, 2011?) was concerned by a "design problem" icgs tab in lower link), so my question is : is your 2012 link the same as previous generations ? Could you put here one pic of this lower link from drive side ?

thanks !
goiz

Posted: Apr 10, 2012 at 6:58 Quote
goiz wrote:
is your 2012 link the same as previous generations ? Could you put here one pic of this lower link from drive side ?

It's a newer iteration. It uses their latest version and I don't think there have been issues with it. I'll try to grab a picture when I can (and remember).

Posted: Apr 10, 2012 at 7:21 Quote
Thank you very much !
I will keep an eye to this thread ;-)

Posted: Apr 18, 2012 at 13:09 Quote
goiz wrote:
Thank you very much !
I will keep an eye to this thread ;-)

I tried to get a good picture yesterday, but the lighting was terrible. Do you absolutely need a drive-side shot? All I have is my phone camera. So, sorry for the quality whenever I finally get a picture up for you.

Posted: Apr 20, 2012 at 15:34 Quote
goiz wrote:
Hello,

Your bike is very nice !

I am looking to get the same, but I hear there was one problem with the lower link. I know old versions (2010, 2011?) was concerned by a "design problem" icgs tab in lower link), so my question is : is your 2012 link the same as previous generations ? Could you put here one pic of this lower link from drive side ?

thanks !
goiz

As you wished, here's a photo of the link
2012 Giant Reign X lower link

Left side is up, right is down.
That gash you see is what happens when your derailleur is initially hung too low upon assembly.

Hope this helps.

Posted: May 23, 2012 at 13:09 Quote
Thanks, it helps me ;-)
Sorry to be so late to answer !

Posted: Aug 1, 2012 at 13:30 Quote
So does the giant reign X have iscg tabs?

FL
Posted: Sep 21, 2012 at 7:08 Quote
What type of front derailleur does it use? And does anyone know if the 2013 reign x uses the same kind? I cant seem to find these kinda details on their webpage =(

Posted: Sep 21, 2012 at 9:51 Quote
If I remember correctly, the FD is SRAM X7 2x10 with X9 in the rear.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.018016
Mobile Version of Website