Powered by Outside

Rear Wheel Travel

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Rear Wheel Travel
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Jun 18, 2012 at 6:13 Quote
Hi all, I'm a bit confused over rear wheel travel on DH bikes. I have an orange 222 which has a 2.75" stroke, I understand that but what I don't understand is how my bike has 8" of rear wheel travel. In my head I can only see the shock compressing the 2.75" but where does all the extra travel come from, considering that it's a single pivot frame? Its not like my other bike: Giant anthem x4 with the maestro suspension where the whole rear triangle moves up and In, the swingarm on the orange can only move towards the front. Any Help appreciated!! Thanks

Posted: Jun 18, 2012 at 7:43 Quote
Jordan96Kelly wrote:
Hi all, I'm a bit confused over rear wheel travel on DH bikes. I have an orange 222 which has a 2.75" stroke, I understand that but what I don't understand is how my bike has 8" of rear wheel travel. In my head I can only see the shock compressing the 2.75" but where does all the extra travel come from, considering that it's a single pivot frame? Its not like my other bike: Giant anthem x4 with the maestro suspension where the whole rear triangle moves up and In, the swingarm on the orange can only move towards the front. Any Help appreciated!! Thanks
the extra come from the rear end swing movement if you remove your shock and move the rear end you will see just how this works. The shock stroke is not the only thing that moves the shock angle changes the more travel you use. Thats how i understand it to work

Posted: Jun 18, 2012 at 8:17 Quote
superbikes wrote:
Jordan96Kelly wrote:
the extra come from the rear end swing movement if you remove your shock and move the rear end you will see just how this works. The shock stroke is not the only thing that moves the shock angle changes the more travel you use. Thats how i understand it to work

photo
threw this together quick to explain it basically the movement occurs across two diffrent axis home it helps

Posted: Jun 18, 2012 at 8:20 Quote
isaace wrote:
superbikes wrote:
Jordan96Kelly wrote:

photo
threw this together quick to explain it basically the movement occurs across two diffrent axis home it helps
yes this is what i was trying to put into words but its hard to Smile

Posted: Jun 18, 2012 at 8:22 Quote
Thanks very much! All cleared up now! Diagram is fantastic by the way! Does that then mean that a longer swingarm would make more travel?

isaace wrote:
superbikes wrote:
Jordan96Kelly wrote:

photo

Posted: Jun 18, 2012 at 9:50 Quote
Lol that'd why I had to draw it out. and yep and longer swing arm = longer travel Smile

Posted: Jun 18, 2012 at 10:31 Quote
Haha where's my welder Razz thanks again!

isaace wrote:
Lol that'd why I had to draw it out. and yep and longer swing arm = longer travel Smile

Posted: Jun 18, 2012 at 10:56 Quote
Jordan96Kelly wrote:
Haha where's my welder Razz thanks again!

isaace wrote:

Get ready for a 300mm travel Orange with a 3 foot swingarm Big Grin

Posted: Jun 18, 2012 at 12:41 Quote
Lol not sure it youd be able to bottom it out without cracking the swing arm with it not built to sustain the strains of it all. but it be funny as hell to try.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.013204
Mobile Version of Website