the ultimate tbc bottlerocket review

PB Forum :: Freeride & Slopestyle
the ultimate tbc bottlerocket review
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Dec 23, 2007 at 16:24 Quote
TBC BOTTLEROCKET REVIEW
photo

Times have changed, and with it the mood. People are going bigger, bikes are getting lighter and trails & skate parks are more creative. If that wasn’t enough, there’s a war going on – BMX v MTB. Seems the people and the manufacturers are playing it down. This subject is only whispered about in the darkest places. Inevitable as it was, this time has fallen on our generation. What is the best then? BMX or MTB? Well, in truth I don’t know. However, when I compared the two (riding both) it was a hard choice. Just a few years ago I think MTBs were too cumbersome. 50lbs, restrictive triple-clamp forks, big heavy wallowing sofas only good for the gnarliest rockiest places and totally overkill and useless anywhere else. But then we had all-mountain MTB – lighter, single-clamp forks, more manoeuvrable bikes that indeed went, and went well all over the mountain. But alas, anywhere concrete,, the slightest hint of DJ’s and my preference at least was still BMX. Now don’t get me wrong, I’m not saying they sucked at skate parks & DJ’s, it just the geo was all wrong and six inches of travel didn’t really cut it. I mean they could do it, but just not comfortably. Then came the BR and with it the new buzzword SLOPESTYLE. At last – a bike that really can do it all. DH, 4x,All-Mountain, Northshore,DJ,Skateparks,Urban and Slopestyle. A bike that can be set up easily, and in so many different ways. Now there is no point in relishing in a new frame and a new idea, if you are going to kit it out with old school components & thinking. So, a very important fact is to take into consideration what technology arrived in conjunction with the BR and apply them all together. Only then I fee,l do you get what the original designers intended – a new frame for new components, for new trails and in fact for a new way of thinking and a genuine new buzzword (SLOPESTYLE). As I was saving for my BR I did a lot of thinking on the subject of components and I will share with you what I believe are my successful choices.

Marzocchi 55 ATA
First up let me tell you the function of these forks is utter amazing. They feel like real springs, or you can dial in a more wooden, less active feel. They are extremely stiff, more so than other forks I decline to mention. And believe me they track straight and true over every surface imaginable. The adjustable travel makes them perfect for everything. 125mm lock-out for climbing, 130mm dj, 4x, trails, 140mm all-mountain,skatepark,urban,SS; 150mm northshore; 165mm DH. You see. And together with the tst that seems to dial in the right compression, and importantly the feel of the fork. It’s just unbeatable and that without adding how light and strong they are, yet alone there looks. But being honest with you they are very hard to set up right (I didn’t have grey hair the day I bought them). The key seems to being able to get the right pressure in the + and – air chambers but once done – well – it’s done. & well worth the effort. If not for the ease of use of the new QR maxel system. Perfect I say.
photo

Marzocchi Rocco TST R
Unlike their forks Marzocchi have never seemed to make a name with their shocks. But man I have a feeling there’s a change coming that’s imminent. This shock is nothing short of fantastic. Dial in your pre-load on the spring, pump up the air in the tst reservoir and bingo! The plushest well damped feeling I have felt in a shock. Add to that the tst. Urban, dj’s, park or climbing no problem. Just lock it out, all-mountain, NShore, gaps, trails and tabletops – great. Just move the dial to the middle position. Feeling gnarly today?? Rocks, hucks, DH! Twist that dial to cl position, and low and behold that sit in, plush, active armchair vibe appears out of thin air. More than that, the actual feeling of the shock changes with every click – and I’m not just talking compression. It really is like having 5 different shocks in one. Add to that rebound, which in fairness is a bit hit & miss. I found a good setting and just left it there. Best thing is you can adjust the tst on the move. No need to get off your bike. And it’s simply beautiful to look at.
photo

Deity Vendetta Crank set
Ok, so I won’t hide it. People, I’m vain. And when I saw the most beautiful crank to my eyes in the world I had to get one. But imagine my surprise when I took them out of the box to find they were not just lighter but much lighter than mostly any crank out there (sub 2lbs). A 3-piece crank? I had to pinch myself. So I bolt them on and find that they are stiffer than any MTB crank with no flex anywhere at any time. The power transfer is incredible. The connection to your drive train is instant, tight, responsive and I mean immediate. I believe only Profile can shake a leg in the same room. Then I began to realise how compatible they are. BMX chain ring, MTB spider, chain guides, whatever – and I do mean literally – whatever setup you want it’s possible. Wow. How can you sit there and not look into them. I for one have fallen in love and can’t wait to get my hands on their new chain wheel coming out later this year.
photo

Maxxis Larsen TT
I love these tyres – light, fast, grippy. Makes my BR accelerate through the dj’s. They gip well on concrete as well as rocky tech dh. Loose over hardpack, BMX-style tracks. Strong enough side walls for hucking, round profile for railing them berms and wall rides. They are brilliant in all conditions except for (and I won’t lie here) MUD. They are still fine after a shower when things are damp but the kind of mud that leaves ½ inch tyre tracks – well, forget it. Don’t even bother, just leave them at home. But for that one negative I found all the positives far outweighs it and they are cheap enough to try out and experiment – best left till summer though.
photo

Avid Juicy Ultimates
I’d like to think of myself as an all-mountain type rider, because I love mostly all riding disciplines in our great sport, Bit of dj here, bit of free-ride there. You know. I guess what I’m saying is that as much as I want to be, the reality is, I’m not an out and out dh racer. As such I don’t need massive out and out stopping power. I arrived at the conclusion that the most important thing for me on a brake is modulation. The ability to apply a little, or a lot of breakforce in a balanced controllable and very feelin’ kind of way. To feather and control my break over damp rock, or slimy moss, and not lock up the wheels for example. Next I wanted light weight practicality and great looks. All this I found in the Juicy Ultimates and I’m sure more people would have these breaks if they didn’t find the one negative thing I found – the price.
photo

TBC Bottlerocket Frame
The paint is good, the welds and machining are good, the bearings are good and easily accessible. Short stays and linkage are very very stiff. Aside from that the weight is spot on. Not too heavy and not too skittishly light. The geo and agility are the best I know, and it accelerates very well. Not only is it sheer heavenly bling to look at but the price is within reach of most, if not just downright cheap for a frame this good. The only negative I know is it’s not as planted as a full on DH bike at top speeds. But then the shortish wheelbase allows for great NShore and railing turns and DJ’s. Let’s face it, who rides flat out all the time? Some things can’t be put into words and the closest I can find right now is fun. And that’s what this frame is all about. That and the fact that when you buy into this brand name you are also buying into a great and caring company and the mystical, forward thinking, innovative, imagination tickling word. That word being Slopestyle. Being straight with you, I’m no ambassador for TBC but I know a good thing when I see it. In truth, I don’t think it’s the best in any discipline of riding outside of Slopestyle, it does however seem like it’s the best all round. But that’s subjective. Anyhow, don’t take my word for it. If you try one you’ll buy one.
photo

The Sum of the Parts
photo

Climbing
With a long seat post, locked out f & r suspension I find riding the long hill up to my local trails a breeze. Maybe it would be hard keeping up with an XC bike on a tech uphill trail. But you can’t have it all and what it does have is sufficient.

DJ
Drop the forks to 130mm with a stiffer tst setting and either lock out the rear shock or have it on a hard setting as well. And this babe pumps so well your girl might just get jealous. And if she doesn’t your friends will. When the perfect geo, and solid stable feeling, especially in the air inspires you to try new tricks you never dreamt of. The low stand-over gives you the same manoeuvrability as a hardtail and it won’t be long before the bike lures you into tail-whips, x-ups and no-footed-can cans. Knowing all the while if you do stack it 5.5 inches will mystically appear to save you when you need it. Bring it on.

4x, Duel, Light Trails, Urban
Keep the forks around 130mm and maybe soften up the tst position a little. Keep the rear spring firm with maybe a more compliant tst setting and a touch more rebound for added pop (to your liking of course) then this Bottlerocket starts acting and riding like a different bike. It glues itself to corners and accelerates out. It picks up speed very fast and when pumping the track it adds a new dimension to the game. Doubles, tables, wall rides, stair gaps, half pipes – there are no limits. And thus, you’ll never be a bad workman as you’ll never be able to blame this tool.

NShore, All-Mountain
You know 36mm air stanchions are a great idea – stiff, light, strong. Wind up the ata to 140-150mm-ish and put the dial on the tst to all-mountain f&r. What you have now is a solid feeling yet nice, soft and grippy manoeuvrable bike, ready to tear up the shore. Squishy enough to absorb landings but still firm enough to lay down your drive. Wow, what a feeling! I love this setting the most on my bike, and the low standover and agility makes me feel very secure in all situations.

Free-Ride, Hucks & DH
Imagine you are dj-ing one minute, then you simply twist 2 dials on your short, stiff fork and hey presto, Bam!! 165mm of rock (maybe not boulder) eating plushness. Consider what would it mean if you could get the same out of your shock (except maybe having to slacken your pre-load a little, and I mean a little). Then all of a sudden you are on a very controllable active sofa. I did, and it’s incredible. Maybe it won’t be as fast and as plush through a rock garden as a proper big & heavy wallowing DH bike but if you have the skills you’ll always be in the running through any terrain. Could you settle for that? I did but like I said I’m not a racer. I just love DH and having fun with my mates. Right now I go big, but not super-big, and the bike handles hucks & drops very, very well. The rocco ramps up great though I don’t think I’m qualified to say it’s bottomless. I certainly haven’t bottomed it out yet however. Small bump compliance is great too and large impacts lush and the geo remains absolutely spot on.
photo

Summary
Ok, I said it before and I say it again. This bike and its components are a perfect blend of similar minded technologies that came into being around the same time, and the same buzzword SS All-Mountain. I’m stressing, I don’t find it the best at NShore, DJ, SS, Park or DH All-Mountain & Hucking. However, it’s good enough to put a smile on your face in any of these disciplines and you’ll never be far behind more single-focused bikes in their respective disciplines. It honestly feels like a suspended BMX or Hardtail. By virtue of its weight, geo and manoeuvrability it has its own charm, feel & vibe, but its focus is more on fun. Together with it’s components it can be adjusted to suit any type of riding without even moving my lazy arse of the saddle. And when you mention the price it shows the competition a clean pair of heals. In this the dawn of a new era where MTB-ing is reaching new heights and a new mentality where people want to do it all. I feel this is a weapon of mass destruction for the masses we can all get our hands on. And if looks are anything to go on then it’s just sheer BLING!! I want to big-up Transition Bike Co, Deity, Marzocchi, Avid Sram, Hope and NYC for upping the game with products that leave the competition fuming in their wake. I know things get dated and nothing lasts forever. I’m sure one day no one will remember this dawn of a new era, yet alone the humble BR. But I’m not from the future, and like you my time is now, which means if a want a top cutting edge tool that can be applied to the trails & obstacles emerging now then there’s only one thing I’m going to reach out and pay for. I have a few bikes in my stable, and my great friends widen that horizon considerably. When I ride with my friends I have a lot of good choices for bikes and I find it strange that everyone wants to ride mine – but I don’t want to ride theirs! Maybe that’s because I made the right choices from the beginning and that choice is:
photo

TBC Bottlerocket & Wheelset
Marzocchi 55 ATA – Rocco TST R
Deity Vendetta Crankset & Seat
Sram XO Twistgrip, Derailer, PG990 Cassette, PC991 Chain
Avid Juicy Ultimate Breaks
E13 SRS Ltd Edition Chain guide
Hope Stem & Seat lamp
Azonic Strip Bar
ODI Ruffian Lock-ons
X-lite Stem plug & Bar ends
NYC Race light (Handmade) Pedals
RaceFace Seat post
Gusset Tribal Chain Ring
Fire-Eye Spider
Maxxis Larsen TT Tyres
Thanks for sharing with me my thoughts on the BR. if my review was of any help to you at all I’m happy with that. Just leave some kind comments to soothe my aching ego THE FLASHMAN Thanks you

Posted: Dec 23, 2007 at 16:35 Quote
That's one of the most complete reviews I've read. Great choice of components. I'm a little curious about the brakes, not your choice of lever and caliper, but disc size. You mentioned in your review the various types of riding you do and all out massive braking force isn't needed, but that said don't you worry about fade? Almost a decade ago I owned what could be considered an AM bike in a KHS FXT Pro with XT brakes and would routinly have fading issues on my local XC trails. Just surprised you went with such a small rotor up front. Are yours even 6in, they look teeny.

Posted: Dec 23, 2007 at 16:57 Quote
this review was basically the best thing ive come across on this site. i'm going to be building up a BR in the new year, and wanted to find something like this. it shows that youve put a lot of thought into the build so that it can definately handle all diciplines of riding. i'm going to use this when the time comes closer to my build so i can make sure i do it right.

Congrats on the amazing build, your review is superb. enjoy the bike!

Posted: Dec 30, 2007 at 7:29 Quote
thanks for comments any one else want to stroke my poor little ego

Posted: Dec 30, 2007 at 7:45 Quote
looks awesome! personally i dont like that style of shifter but hey its your's right! have fun shredding on that

Posted: Jan 8, 2008 at 5:25 Quote
i love my shifter..... actualy

Posted: Jan 8, 2008 at 5:36 Quote
Great review mate, you actually spent some TIME writing itBig Grin

I think these types of bike are going to really kick off this year:P

Posted: Jan 8, 2008 at 9:17 Quote
But it doesn't have a marketing name for the suspension!

Great review!

Posted: Jan 10, 2008 at 8:03 Quote
how much does that one cost?

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.015862
Mobile Version of Website