Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]
Posted: May 30, 2016 at 23:23 Quote
el-booto wrote:
silverfish1974 wrote:
Is it ok to swap between pad compounds. I had resin on my Zee's for a few weeks then swapped to metal for the last year. What would happen if I switched back to resin?

squealy brake syndromeWink

Ohh lol really Big Grin I suppose that makes sense and that's why I asked...I suppose I could clean the rotors inbetween..

Or buy a second set of rotors..now that's an idea.

Posted: May 30, 2016 at 23:25 Quote
silverfish1974 wrote:
el-booto wrote:
silverfish1974 wrote:
Is it ok to swap between pad compounds. I had resin on my Zee's for a few weeks then swapped to metal for the last year. What would happen if I switched back to resin?

Ohh lol really Big Grin I suppose that makes sense and that's why I asked...I suppose I could clean the rotors inbetween..

give em a sand with 120grit and a clean with isoprope, then they'll be like new and they won't squeal

Posted: May 30, 2016 at 23:30 Quote
el-booto wrote:
silverfish1974 wrote:
el-booto wrote:

give em a sand with 120grit and a clean with isoprope, then they'll be like new and they won't squeal

Cool I have a massive bottle of isopropyl.
120grit I don't have. I'll probably buy some today. I take it that's quite fine. Hope that's the right grit.. Smile
I'll double check anyway..and see if you're right.. Big Grin or near enough..

Posted: May 31, 2016 at 1:59 Quote
Hi,

I will be soon upgrading my stock wheelset on Status frame for Spank Spike Race28 Wheelset.
Here comes the problem: the rear wheel is coming stock 12x150.
I read on PB review: "the rear is available set up for 10x135 or 12x150 spacing, with adaptors available separately for riders who wish to run a 15mm front thru axle or a 12x142 rear."
I can't find 10x135 version anywhere. Does it mean I should convert the hub from 12x150 to 10x135?

Thanks

Edit: read Q&A on CRC and my stupid idea is confirmed: not possible. Any suggestions for reliable rear hub 10x135? I will do a custom build.

Posted: May 31, 2016 at 2:31 Quote
raidenCZE wrote:
Hi,

I will be soon upgrading my stock wheelset on Status frame for Spank Spike Race28 Wheelset.
I read on PB review: "the rear is available set up for 10x135 or 12x150 spacing, with adaptors available separately for riders who wish to run a 15mm front thru axle or a 12x142 rear."
I can't find 10x135 version anywhere. Does it mean I should convert the hub from 12x150 to 10x135?

Thanks

Edit: read Q&A on CRC and my stupid idea is confirmed: not possible. Any suggestions for reliable rear hub 10x135? I will do a custom build.

For the 10x135
http://www.bicyclehero.com/gb/spank-spoon-hub-adapter-kit-10-x-135mm.html?gclid=COvz9caAhM0CFesV0wodUw8HAA

It says spoon but you can use it across the spank wheelsets

Posted: May 31, 2016 at 2:36 Quote
dagzin wrote:
raidenCZE wrote:
Hi,

Thanks

For the 10x135
http://www.bicyclehero.com/gb/spank-spoon-hub-adapter-kit-10-x-135mm.html?gclid=COvz9caAhM0CFesV0wodUw8HAA

Not possible for 12x150 hubs as they are too wide for 135 usage (Converts Spoon-135 Rear Hubs to 10mm (thru axle) 135mm OLD)
Not able to find spoon hubs sold separately

Posted: May 31, 2016 at 2:56 Quote
raidenCZE wrote:
dagzin wrote:
raidenCZE wrote:
Hi,

Thanks

For the 10x135

Not possible for 12x150 hubs as they are too wide for 135 usage (Converts Spoon-135 Rear Hubs to 10mm (thru axle) 135mm OLD)
Not able to find spoon hubs sold separately

My bad
I swear I thought that the hubs were the same size just change the axle to size

Posted: May 31, 2016 at 3:00 Quote
raidenCZE wrote:
Hi,

Thanks

Superstar?

Posted: May 31, 2016 at 3:03 Quote
Nope, look at the drawings of both hubs
The cross section is wider.

RaidenCZE: kore, transition and fire eye use the same hubs as the spank ones, could source one of those to transplant pretty easy and you probably wouldn't need to change spokes either.

Posted: May 31, 2016 at 3:59 Quote
el-booto wrote:
Nope, look at the drawings of both hubs
The cross section is wider.

RaidenCZE: kore, transition and fire eye use the same hubs as the spank ones, could source one of those to transplant pretty easy and you probably wouldn't need to change spokes either.

I think I will need to do custom build as it will cost less $ than buy the wheelset and change the rear hub. I'm also not sure about spokes as the 150mm hub has the flanges farther from the centre than 135mm one. I know that +/- 2mm is not acceptable tolerance for wheel build as it can cause serious problems with final tensioning.
I guess I need to give up on these wheels and find something similar made with this stupid standard 10x135. Budget 400€ Frown

Posted: May 31, 2016 at 4:45 Quote
If i were you i would go for a hope, should be reasonably priced from crc too, and have heard great things about there wheel builds.

Posted: May 31, 2016 at 5:29 Quote
horny-norris wrote:
If i were you i would go for a hope, should be reasonably priced from crc too, and have heard great things about there wheel builds.
If you were me, you will have budget 400EUR for wheelset, not for two hubs Big Grin

Posted: May 31, 2016 at 5:57 Quote
i just bought a set of Hope PRO4 hubs on Flow EX rims with DT competition spokes for $413 USD shipped from Merlins...
the FLOW EX rims (a $34 upgrade EACH) and the DT competition spokes were $11.50 each wheel too..

so you can get a much less expensive build from them too if you wanted to? Mavic XM319 is the base rim with no addition cost.

i can't even buy the parts for that price Smile
website said Hope Pro2 EVO hubs but mine came with PRO4

Pro2 EVO are totally fine anyways.....

FYI mine were 26"

Posted: May 31, 2016 at 6:24 Quote
So, my Fox float evolution rear shock has started to make a suction noise whenever it goes through any of its travel. It still holds air and seems to be working about as good as I remember when I last rode it in the winter. Is this a sign that it needs to be serviced, something that happens over time, or a more serious problem?

Any help is welcome.

Posted: May 31, 2016 at 7:06 Quote
I'm about to bleed my Xt m8000 brakes and I'm wondering :
-the instruction specifies to screw to free stroke all the way in before bleeding
But what if :
-I unscrew the free stroke halfway out then bleed

Would it be useful/Dangerous ? I my mind it would make the screw useful since you could set the free stroke in both ways

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.032692
Mobile Version of Website