Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]
Posted: Apr 19, 2014 at 18:28 Quote
Thanks Nobble! I'll take it to my LBS next week (Scott dealer) and have them take a look at it. But until then I'll stay off of it.

Posted: Apr 20, 2014 at 12:32 Quote
Would Bag Balm be an acceptable grease for a quick fix? Ingredients are as follows: 8-Hydroxy Quinoline Sulfate .3% in a petroleum Lanolin Base

Posted: Apr 20, 2014 at 13:12 Quote
TNFking wrote:
Would Bag Balm be an acceptable grease for a quick fix? Ingredients are as follows: 8-Hydroxy Quinoline Sulfate .3% in a petroleum Lanolin Base
just use this thing
photo
Marine grease on amazon

Posted: Apr 20, 2014 at 13:17 Quote
Yeah but he is in need of it now/quick fix. Should be fine if its petro based and is on normal metal/bearing contact. With plastic, who knows.

Posted: Apr 20, 2014 at 13:26 Quote
Hi guys jus a quick 1 regarding spring rate....
Im quite a big lad and am looking at upgrading my rear spring, my current is 450x3.25. I have found some 600x3.25 but they are out of stock, they also have listed 650x3.19 so my question is, am I going to completely ruin my shock if I run a spring with a difference in spring rate as its a pretty minimal difference ??
Cheers guys & gals

Posted: Apr 20, 2014 at 13:39 Quote
Should be fine most shocks have enough damping adjustments to run pretty much any weight spring.

Posted: Apr 20, 2014 at 13:54 Quote
Spicy-Mike wrote:
Yeah but he is in need of it now/quick fix. Should be fine if its petro based and is on normal metal/bearing contact. With plastic, who knows.
Ya, used it to shut up my 15mm thru axle. Was making me mad. Thought to ask after the fact. Worked like a charm.

Posted: Apr 20, 2014 at 14:13 Quote
TNFking wrote:
Spicy-Mike wrote:
Ya, used it to shut up my 15mm thru axle. Was making me mad. Thought to ask after the fact. Worked like a charm.
ahhh for that it works, wouldn't hurt having good grease at home

Posted: Apr 20, 2014 at 15:45 Quote
bag balm? isn't that for chapped cow udders or some $hit like that?

Posted: Apr 20, 2014 at 15:53 Quote
TNFking wrote:

no dr*g talk please.. whats wrong with a beer for a quick fix?

Posted: Apr 20, 2014 at 15:56 Quote
thisguyalex wrote:
bag balm? isn't that for chapped cow udders or some $hit like that?
Works wonders on dry anything. Use it on my feet from working barefooted on concrete all day. And on dry metal parts, too. Do have good stuff, just thought the squeakiness should not come when the axle is undone.

Posted: Apr 20, 2014 at 16:19 Quote
Get Lucas Oil (Grease) products, the cylinders cans normally used for grease guns, but just pop off the top and you got a nice can of super heavy grade A stuff. Anyways, by far the best grease i have used, plus they come in multiple flavors all with anti-seize, high drop point, etc. Marine, Super heavy extended service, and my favorite all in one, Red n Tacky.

Posted: Apr 20, 2014 at 16:55 Quote
My favorite flavor always has been marine grease give a extra rust protection or something like that also I like the color

Posted: Apr 20, 2014 at 17:16 Quote
marine grease is generally much more corrosion inhibitant due to being designed to be submerged and to resist salt water

O+
Posted: Apr 20, 2014 at 17:47 Quote
On the topic of Lucas Oil, has anyone used automotive wheel bearing grease in their cup and cone hubs?

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.019589
Mobile Version of Website