Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]
Posted: Aug 24, 2014 at 6:12 Quote
One time I was forced to use Vaseline diluted with water and it actually worked pretty well

Posted: Aug 24, 2014 at 6:16 Quote
errr....what are we talking about?...

Posted: Aug 24, 2014 at 6:18 Quote
iffy wrote:
errr....what are we talking about?...
The art of lubrication

Posted: Aug 24, 2014 at 6:25 Quote
vaseline does not dilute with water....

Posted: Aug 24, 2014 at 6:48 Quote
horny-norris wrote:
vaseline does not dilute with water....

Posted: Aug 24, 2014 at 6:51 Quote
Well whatever happened it worked.. filled a little dish with hot water then mixed in some vline and coated cable and presto.

O+
Posted: Aug 24, 2014 at 6:54 Quote
Ideally tri-flow, but I know quite a few bike shops who use WD-40 for cables. Of course I had neither of those 2 with me

Posted: Aug 24, 2014 at 7:00 Quote
Is it safe to to use this wax on Boxxer stanchions? They have so much stiction and stiffness, I can only compress by hand up to the 30% mark. I already changed the oil on lowers to 10wt and applied Finish Line Teflon Grease to the seals but no success.

I was thinking of aplying a layer of that wax, softly, to not damage the anodized coat of the stanchions, to improve sensitivity.

Posted: Aug 24, 2014 at 7:08 Quote
shredjekyll wrote:
Well whatever happened it worked.. filled a little dish with hot water then mixed in some vline and coated cable and presto.

because water in your cables is good.

Posted: Aug 24, 2014 at 7:18 Quote
iffy wrote:
shredjekyll wrote:

This was 4-5 months and hundreds of hours of riding ago and the same cable is still perfectly fine and shifting great.

Posted: Aug 24, 2014 at 7:24 Quote
shredjekyll wrote:
iffy wrote:
shredjekyll wrote:

This was 4-5 months and hundreds of hours of riding ago and the same cable is still perfectly fine and shifting great.

That doesn't make it optimal.

Fair enough, it worked, but don't actively recommend it.

Posted: Aug 24, 2014 at 7:32 Quote
cyt59 wrote:
Is it safe to to use this wax on Boxxer stanchions? They have so much stiction and stiffness, I can only compress by hand up to the 30% mark. I already changed the oil on lowers to 10wt and applied Finish Line Teflon Grease to the seals but no success.

I was thinking of aplying a layer of that wax, softly, to not damage the anodized coat of the stanchions, to improve sensitivity.

Ehh, I would stay away from that, its a cleaning and polishing product

Posted: Aug 24, 2014 at 7:36 Quote
cyt59 wrote:

Slick Honey brah.....

Posted: Aug 24, 2014 at 8:05 Quote
cyt59 wrote:

I know this sounds daft but is the spring right far you..?

Posted: Aug 24, 2014 at 8:33 Quote
trailblitz wrote:
Ideally tri-flow, but I know quite a few bike shops who use WD-40 for cables. Of course I had neither of those 2 with me

LOL and this why bike shops are a waste of time, DW40 is a de greaser

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.019906
Mobile Version of Website