Body Weight Training for general riding?

PB Forum :: Fitness, Training and Health
Body Weight Training for general riding?
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: May 13, 2013 at 9:45 Quote
Hi all,

I'm a SAHM who had a budding interest in MTB before I got pregnant, and since been off two wheels. I want to get back into it for multiple reasons, but in general I lack in fitness. I've started the You Are Your Own Gym 10 week guided program a little while back, with no further goal other to get my cougar like frame back and when the baby weight shredded I lost motivation to continue.

We just picked up a rather crummy, but pretty much brand new bike (Canadian Tire brand, Supercycle.. not a single known component on the thing, and they're all plastic LoL) for me to improve all my skills on, build up some confidence all the while not breaking the bank (AKA... Free!) and it re-lit my interest in the sport. Been practicing cornering like a boss Razz

Will body weight training aid me in my own personal quest to own the trails? Should I supplement with weights? Cross training?? I've started cardio with jogging just the other day, and plan on riding trails once a week to get some experience with dirt around here. For mother's day we bought a bike trailer and helmet for our daughter and will be using that for another variation of cardio so I don't get bored.

Heather

FL
Posted: May 16, 2013 at 6:39 Quote
Hello Heather,
I will preface this by saying that i haven't looked through the "You Are Your Own Gym" program, but understand it has lots of calisthenic exercises.
So my recommendations: Since you have stated you believe you lack in fitness, body weight exercises are an ideal starting point. Most body weight exercises can be modified to be easier for those starting off, and then modified differently to become much harder as you develop the strength. Example is the push-up; if you elevate your hands they are easier, if you elevate your feet they are harder. Body weight exercises can improve fitness drastically and at almost no cost if they are done correctly and you stick with it.
Supplementing with weights is something to look into down the road. After you have built the strength and can't go much further in certain areas with body weight exercises then looking into free weights for strength training becomes more paramount.
Cross training can be beneficial. Running will improve the cardiovascular system and if you can only ride once a week, its a good way to get into shape to, as you say, own the trails.
Good luck

Posted: Jun 29, 2013 at 7:41 Quote
Body weight is amazing for strength. There are lots of variations once the basics get too easy. body weight movements are also great because they are natural, they activate the body in a natural manner as as a whole and tend to be good compound movements.

Most body weight exercises you can add weight to anyway, via a weight vest or chains or resistance bands etc, but variations should be enough to challenge you for a while.

Mtbstrengthtrainingsystems is really good, I actually just purchased the body weight program, its only $17 and james is a mtb specific coach so the exercises are directed at improving trail riding.

http://www.bikejames.com/products/

Posted: Jul 5, 2013 at 16:26 Quote
Hi Heather,

Body weight exercises are great !! There are so many you can do. You can change positions and mix it up. Of course, adding anything else into the mix will always help. I do a mix of body weight, free weight, TRX, yoga and of course, riding. Mixing it up is also great because you will constantly be using different muscles and muscle groups and that is great for building your body up and get your cougar body back. For your cardio, it will burn more if you do interval training. For example, if you run, run for 3 minutes as fast as you can, then jog for 2. Running or jogging at a consistent pace is fine but you will burn more if you do interval type work. Full body exercises are also great, for example, squat to shoulder press. They will work your whole body in less time and still give a great workout.

Posted: Jul 5, 2013 at 18:04 Quote
ctmtbgirl wrote:
Hi Heather,

Body weight exercises are great !! There are so many you can do. You can change positions and mix it up. Of course, adding anything else into the mix will always help. I do a mix of body weight, free weight, TRX, yoga and of course, riding. Mixing it up is also great because you will constantly be using different muscles and muscle groups and that is great for building your body up and get your cougar body back. For your cardio, it will burn more if you do interval training. For example, if you run, run for 3 minutes as fast as you can, then jog for 2. Running or jogging at a consistent pace is fine but you will burn more if you do interval type work. Full body exercises are also great, for example, squat to shoulder press. They will work your whole body in less time and still give a great workout.

If your training time is the same or similar than yes intervals will burn more its basic intensity levels over time.

However intervals don't always burn more unless the workout is long enough or steady state is short enough, most the time intervals will last say 20min where steady state will last 1hour or more. In this case the steady state will burn many more calories, like amples more, the benefit of intervals (actually steady state does have this effect too) is that you end up in EPOC, to simplify it your body is trying to catch up still after a workout and this elevates your resting metabolic rate for upto 48 hours. However this is only very small and EPOC does not actually make a massive difference although it may be helpful you need to make sure the short workout plus EPOC will over take the steady state which is pretty rare.

Now EPOC is not just a interval thing, it comes down to volume, so low intensity for long periods will also produce EPOC.

Also keep in mind intervals draw energy from different pathways and will use energy more so from glycogen stores than fat. There is some good evidence for those trying to lose weight though with two workouts spaced apart.

Now there is studies that suggest you can maximize your fat burning by using both interval and steady state.
One study suggests that doing interval training and following it up with 1hour of steady state cardio increased the amount of fat burned in that 1 hour of continuous moderate cycling by 36 per cent. So a combination of both may be ideal.

When you exercise the body goes through lipolysis in where adipose (fat) tissue is broken down and released into the blood stream for use. You can use this to your advantage, If you do interval training it will start this process, now it takes some time for this to be available (2 hours i believe) *ill try find the study* So by undertaking interval training than doing steady state 2 hours later you can directly burn the released fat released from the fat stores in the body.

*I am not qualified in this area, everything I have said is from things I have read, it may not be right so please don't assume it as fact. As always never undertake any new exercise without a doctors permission. use my post at your own risk. This applies to any future edits as well.

EDIT
I forgot to mention though, HIIT obviously develops different adaptions so if your goal is performance you obviously need to incorporate both SSC and HIIT. With that said they both also develop different muscle adaptions int erms of composition, SSC (stead state cardio) will lean you out, it teaches your body to be efficient over a long distance which means been lean including muscular, so for those trying to gain muscle SSC is not ideal. HIIT on the other hand actually can promote muscle gain, so as long as you eat the calories lost doing HIIT, it can actually not only improve your fitness but help maintain and gain muscle.

SSC you need to add weight sessions to help try to maintain your muscle but even than you are probably going to lose it, the body adapts to what it needs and if you are running long distances it essentially say, be light, be slim, go for endurance, MASS is not helpful here, HIIT is burst powerful movements where MASS is helpful and the body knows this. Think sprinters vs marathon runners. Both spend lots of time doing 'cardio' HIIT.

You should incorporate both exercises for general health, HIIT is best for people who are not trying to loose weight but get fit and get that muscular physique, For those trying to loose weight HIIT is helpful but should not be used as the only source of exercise (unless you are time strapped) If weight lose as long as you are cleared medically you should incorporate HIIT, SSC and weights. Of course it goes without saying diet needs to be in check and you should aim for a consistent safe calorie loss each week to ensure its safe (this goal should be determined by a doctor), the fast way to lose weight come with short falls and can be down right dangerous.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.009545
Mobile Version of Website