Lower Back Pain/Core Strengthening

PB Forum :: Fitness, Training and Health
Lower Back Pain/Core Strengthening
  • Next Page
FL
Posted: Dec 13, 2013 at 7:13 Quote
onemanarmy wrote:
I do a quick one in the morning... gets the blood flowing. It's not that hard but it gets your moving and you can ramp it up to as hard as you want.

20 push ups
25 crunches
15 leg lifts
25 squats
30 lunges... really just 15 with each leg.
50 jumping jacks
60 second wall squat.

Trick is... don't stop. You can actually run it twice in a row if you want.

...(clipped)...

My body is a wreck. Partly because of injuries mostly because of inactivity. I'm a thick dude but I really should weigh closer to 205 so we'll get there sooner or later. Hopefully that'll help my knee and back pain.

If you are worried about back pain, you may want to consider doing exercises for back extensors, the erector spinae group, the transversus abdominis, and your obliques. Doing crunches more focuses on the rectus abdominis. If you only strength one part of the core it will be stronger and possibly tighter than the other which can also lead to injury as it will pull more and off balance the spine.

Do yoga and stretching at home if you're too intimidated to go to a class. The results of a stretching regimen are worth while, and often over looked (at least from my observations).

Posted: Dec 22, 2013 at 7:24 Quote
I'm a sports chiro. I see this kind of dilemma daily. In our practice, we do both physio and chiro. We refer back and forth, seamlessly.

A couple points:

1. It's critical to have a thorough functional assessment done. Weaknesses and functional issues of the spine need to be identified.
2. One of the Key roles of a doctor (DC or MD) is to rule out pathological sources of your pain. This is important. This includes: disc herniations, arthritis, joint alignment issues and so on.
3. Exercise is king. Get the proper exercise instructions that address your problem.

Lastly, don't slam an entire profession for your choice regrading seeing one practitioner that didn't fix you. Find someone who understands the demands of your sport. That is a good starting point.

FL
Posted: Dec 23, 2013 at 11:42 Quote
Not really sure if you're talking about me since I don't recall slamming an entire profession.

1. I've had assessments done.
2. My doctor is an osteopath. I prefer a natural solution to issue. We're working on joint alignment. I have terrible posture that we're trying to correct and I have some long standing issue from injuries as well.
3. Definitely right on that one. I'm looking in to crossfit at the moment. I can't afford it right now but I'm hoping that over the next few months I can get things going on my own and then start doing it in the spring.

Octanejake... that's a simple full body daily work out. It's not really meant for targeted work out. That takes a lot longer than 15 minutes in the morning to get your blood flowing. I think I did mention adding in other workouts if you want to target something in the part you clipped. But I'm feeling lazy. It takes a lot more than 15-25 minutes a day to work your entire body. I personally believe in doing targeted worked outs 3 or 4 times a week on top of the daily work outs. I used to be a freak about it. 3.5 hours of working out pretty much every day with rotational rides adding up to well over 200 miles a week. But I didn't have a kid, a job, a commute... etc. These days there's too many excuses so I'm proud of myself for doing anything. I'll get back to a more focused workout over time. I can't get back to were I was 20 years ago in a week... that was why I recommended that exercise routine. It's simple. It's functional. It's great for someone that doesn't have a huge amount of time or is just trying to do SOMETHING to change bad habits and create positive new ones.

My back pain is related to a pretty solid list of things.
1. I'm out of shape.
2. I'm overweight.
3. I have terrible posture
4. I have existing injuries and degenerative disc decease.
5. I'm out of freaking shape.

LOL!

• Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.024573
Mobile Version of Website