10 spd clutch derailleur conversion for 9 spd

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
10 spd clutch derailleur conversion for 9 spd
O+
Posted: Jul 14, 2014 at 22:23 Quote
Hi anyone tried to put a oneUp with a nine speeds X0 shifter/ derailleur

I was thinking of going 1x9 with same shifter and rear, but adding a 32 tooth narrow wide and and adding 40 tooth To the rear

Anyone tried that?

Posted: Jul 15, 2014 at 5:11 Quote
abeadon , I was thinking of attempting the same thing, but on second thought I'm not sure it would work out due to the spacing on the cassette (10spd (as the spacing would be for the oneUp) vs. 9 spd.) The jump from 34t to 40t might be a little steep too.

O+
Posted: Jul 18, 2014 at 22:28 Quote
I am currently running an old (2009-2010) x7 shifter with an x9 9-speed derailleur in the back with no clutch, meaning that on a downhill bike the chain-slap is ridiculous. Would a 10-speed x9 type 2 or shimano zee 10speed shadow+ work with that shifter without trouble given that 1:1 pull ratio? I believe the pull ratio wasn't any different in the past. Regardless of price, which would be the better move: the x9 type 2 or the shadow+ zee? I'm looking for whichever has better smoothness given the conversion, which works better with the conversion (aka cooperation with the x7 9-speed shifter), and lastly, which has the better clutch. I ride with a x9 type 2 on my stumpjumper and its fantastic but I've never ridden shimano clutched derailleurs so idk if there is a drastic difference.

Thanks for the help! If this works, it'll save me a ton of money haha

Posted: Jul 19, 2014 at 10:01 Quote
stoweboarder720 wrote:
I am currently running an old (2009-2010) x7 shifter with an x9 9-speed derailleur in the back with no clutch, meaning that on a downhill bike the chain-slap is ridiculous. Would a 10-speed x9 type 2 or shimano zee 10speed shadow+ work with that shifter without trouble given that 1:1 pull ratio? I believe the pull ratio wasn't any different in the past. Regardless of price, which would be the better move: the x9 type 2 or the shadow+ zee? I'm looking for whichever has better smoothness given the conversion, which works better with the conversion (aka cooperation with the x7 9-speed shifter), and lastly, which has the better clutch. I ride with a x9 type 2 on my stumpjumper and its fantastic but I've never ridden shimano clutched derailleurs so idk if there is a drastic difference.

I have no experience with the Type 2, but am pretty confident that it will not work with a 9 speed shifter. The spacing between shifts on the derailleur is different (because the cassette spacing is different), even if the pull ratio was 1:1, which I believe it is, it would be under shifting. However, I don't know the exact science behind the mod, so it might work, although after a little research and I wasn't able to find any successful reports.

Personally I would go with a Shimano system, but that's because I know it works. I also believe a Zee derailleur is cheaper, so I don't see why you would go with SRAM, unless of course it blows Shimano out of the water... but then again, I'm quite frugal and don't want to spend a lot of extra cash on minor improvements.

Posted: Jul 19, 2014 at 10:24 Quote
stoweboarder720 wrote:

As stated above, I don't think the X.9 10spd will work. All I can attest to is that the Zee I have works as if it were designed to work with the X.9 9spd. shifter I have it paired with. The Zee can also be had for a lot cheaper. Good Luck!

O+
Posted: Jul 19, 2014 at 11:20 Quote
Thanks for the help guys, zee it is, especially if cheaper cause in all likelihood it'll get smashed soon enough on my downhill bike. I'll do a bit more research before I pull the trigger (heh heh) but I think the advantage of minimal chain slap will outweigh that of, perhaps, slightly imperfect shifting. Any other notes/advice is always appreciated!

Posted: Jul 19, 2014 at 13:40 Quote
stoweboarder720 wrote:
Thanks for the help guys, zee it is, especially if cheaper cause in all likelihood it'll get smashed soon enough on my downhill bike. I'll do a bit more research before I pull the trigger (heh heh) but I think the advantage of minimal chain slap will outweigh that of, perhaps, slightly imperfect shifting. Any other notes/advice is always appreciated!

Let us know how it turns out. Remember, there are two versions of the Zee Derailleur; one for FR and one for DH. The main difference is the cassette size it can handle.

Posted: Jul 19, 2014 at 14:26 Quote
stoweboarder720 wrote:

Not too sure where your getting the notion about imperfect shifting; I have two different SRAM/Shimano setups and they are running flawlessly. It can just take a bit of tinkering to get it quiet. I just recently threw on new SLX derailleur and it didn't need shimming or any additional work. Just plug and play.

O+
Posted: Jul 19, 2014 at 20:53 Quote
agro wrote:
stoweboarder720 wrote:

Not too sure where your getting the notion about imperfect shifting; I have two different SRAM/Shimano setups and they are running flawlessly. It can just take a bit of tinkering to get it quiet. I just recently threw on new SLX derailleur and it didn't need shimming or any additional work. Just plug and play.

Yeah i've read that shimming is not required in most cases so I think i'll just plug and play and if there are any problems then I may try shimming only after i've tried other more simple solutions. In terms of the derailleur I'm gonna order up a zee shadow+, dh version (thanks for the reminder), its looking to be around 55 dollars so its a good deal!

Posted: Jul 23, 2014 at 2:21 Quote
ive just run a 9 speed sram x5 shifter with a 10 speed deralliur. It works perfectly i think this is because the ratios are the same because a could not get the deralliur to work with my 9 speed shimano shifter.

O+
Posted: Jul 27, 2014 at 14:44 Quote
stoweboarder720 wrote:
agro wrote:
stoweboarder720 wrote:

Yeah i've read that shimming is not required in most cases so I think i'll just plug and play and if there are any problems then I may try shimming only after i've tried other more simple solutions. In terms of the derailleur I'm gonna order up a zee shadow+, dh version (thanks for the reminder), its looking to be around 55 dollars so its a good deal!
shimming is bolox in my opinion. the sramano actually could require THE OPPOSITE of shimming to function better. the mech needs to move more when pulling the lever so drilling a hole closer to the pivot point would achieve this instead of shimming which reduces the amount of effective cable pull.

O+
Posted: Jul 27, 2014 at 14:47 Quote
tolerances are very fine to achieve a shift to the small/large cogs sramano total pull range is everso slightly short so sometimes wont drop to the smallest cog or pull up to the largest cog especially when the cable becomes sticky.

Posted: Jul 27, 2014 at 15:41 Quote
a-d-e wrote:
tolerances are very fine to achieve a shift to the small/large cogs sramano total pull range is everso slightly short so sometimes wont drop to the smallest cog or pull up to the largest cog especially when the cable becomes sticky.

Not to be a naysayer, but do you currently run a SRAMano? The only reason I ask is because I am now on my second season - which have included multiple Whistler and Silverstar trips, and countless laps at my hometown trail - with all the same cable and housing, and haven't experienced any of the issues you have raised.

I am not trying to negate your comments as I do think you bring up some good points, but you are basically telling all of us that we are wrong and what is currently working, isn't going to work... or am I interpreting your comments wrong? Also wouldn't your point about fine tolerances also affect a normal setup, and not just specifically a SRAMano?

O+
Posted: Aug 9, 2014 at 2:23 Quote
agro wrote:
a-d-e wrote:

Not to be a naysayer, but do you currently run a SRAMano? The only reason I ask is because I am now on my second season - which have included multiple Whistler and Silverstar trips, and countless laps at my hometown trail - with all the same cable and housing, and haven't experienced any of the issues you have raised.

I am not trying to negate your comments as I do think you bring up some good points, but you are basically telling all of us that we are wrong and what is currently working, isn't going to work... or am I interpreting your comments wrong? Also wouldn't your point about fine tolerances also affect a normal setup, and not just specifically a SRAMano?
just relating my personal experiences with the setup which i highly recommend as a cheap way to fit clutch mech to existing sram 9spd.
it works extremely well only occasionally hesitant to shift but does eventually & happens rarely after i clean my shifter cable. i have the short cage zee with x9 shifter. i think with the lower cog count (28t) the pulley wheel is a touch farther from the cassette. when i refit cassettes or lube my cables i find the adjustment point to shift full range to be a very fine point because with a sram shifter the total pull range is on the short side so it does work totally fine with some careful adjustment.

Posted: Aug 11, 2014 at 17:17 Quote
a-d-e wrote:
just relating my personal experiences with the setup which i highly recommend as a cheap way to fit clutch mech to existing sram 9spd.
it works extremely well only occasionally hesitant to shift but does eventually & happens rarely after i clean my shifter cable. i have the short cage zee with x9 shifter. i think with the lower cog count (28t) the pulley wheel is a touch farther from the cassette. when i refit cassettes or lube my cables i find the adjustment point to shift full range to be a very fine point because with a sram shifter the total pull range is on the short side so it does work totally fine with some careful adjustment.

No worries a-d-e, just wanted to make sure we were all trying to provide helpful, and useful information; instead of just internet bashing something that you didn't have experience with.

Any time your cables go from dirty-to-clean there will be some difference - at least in my experience. I don't clean my cables though; cable and housing are all replaced new.

My pulley wheels on my DH zee setup are also a touch further than ideal because the derailleur bottoms out on itself when I am in the 11 tooth.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.042022
Mobile Version of Website