Giant Trance 27.5

PB Forum :: Giant
Giant Trance 27.5
Posted: Jan 29, 2016 at 10:34 Quote
I know its been said that the frame on the regular and SX versions is the same. I know geometry is the same, but how about materials and strength? Are they really the exact same frame?

Posted: Jan 29, 2016 at 10:43 Quote
ejewels wrote:
I know its been said that the frame on the regular and SX versions is the same. I know geometry is the same, but how about materials and strength? Are they really the exact same frame?

Same frame but the geometry is different. The SX uses a longer 160mm fork which slackens the head angle from 67 to 66. It also raises the bb height by about 14mm. But the frame is exactly the same (apart from colour).

Posted: Jan 29, 2016 at 10:46 Quote
ejewels wrote:

You've got it the wrong way around. Geometry on the SX is different due to the longer fork, it slackens the head angle, raises the head tube and lifts the bottom bracket slightly. It also rides differently coming with a 800mm bar and a 60mm stem, as opposed to a 740mm bar and a 70-80mm stem.

The frames on the Trance and Trance SX are the exact same frame, right down to the material, the design philosophy for the SX is the aggressive Trance build, so it's just the components that change, since having to make a completely new frame for the SX would cost a fair bit. It's the same for the Anthem and Anthem SX. Same frame, different kit. If you bought a Trance frame or Anthem frame off the peg it's warrantied for a fork with 20mm extra travel than the standard non-SX build since the frames are tested with the longer forks.

Posted: Jan 29, 2016 at 11:09 Quote
Thanks guys. I'm actually running a Mattoc with the 160mm so just making sure its the same exact frame strength-wise. So you guys are saying the frame itself has the same geometry, but not when it has a longer fork?

Also, any recommendations to a lighter beefier stem/handlebar upgrade on it?

Posted: Jan 29, 2016 at 11:39 Quote
ejewels wrote:
Thanks guys. I'm actually running a Mattoc with the 160mm so just making sure its the same exact frame strength-wise. So you guys are saying the frame itself has the same geometry, but not when it has a longer fork?

The frame's geometry essentially identifies the frame's position relative to the level surface on which it stands. That's why a longer fork (which alters the position of the frame relative to the surface below) will change the geometry. So ya, the frame is identical in construction.

As for bars and stem, I went for Chromag Fubar Cutlass Carbon 750mm bars and an RF Atlas 50mm stem. It's a nice combo. Some people run wider bars but some of my local trails are tight. The SixC bars are nice too. I run those on my DH bike.

Posted: Jan 29, 2016 at 11:57 Quote
elkinfa19 wrote:
Hello guys I'm about to switch into a full suspension bike and the best match I can get right now is a Trance frameset with no shock.
It would be a kind of frankenstein, because it would be ensambled with my current components:
26 wheels
160 pike
200X57 shock.

Please, is it a bad idea? Let me know your opinions and impressions.
BB height will be reduced by the smaller rear wheel, no?

Posted: Jan 29, 2016 at 13:09 Quote
R-P-S wrote:
ejewels wrote:

The frame's geometry essentially identifies the frame's position relative to the level surface on which it stands. That's why a longer fork (which alters the position of the frame relative to the surface below) will change the geometry. So ya, the frame is identical in construction.

As for bars and stem, I went for Chromag Fubar Cutlass Carbon 750mm bars and an RF Atlas 50mm stem. It's a nice combo. Some people run wider bars but some of my local trails are tight. The SixC bars are nice too. I run those on my DH bike.

Cool, thanks. So Geometry isn't the actual construction of the frame, its how the frame sits level to the ground and "in use".

Posted: Jan 29, 2016 at 13:27 Quote
Well some specifications generally referred to as frame geometry are fixed. Like the chain and seat stay length... But some are relative like bottom bracket height, head angle and stand over height. No change in components would alter the chainstay or seat stay length but a change in tire might slightly increase or decrease the bottom bracket height for example (depending on tire tread). And as discussed, a longer fork slackens head angle.

Do a PB forum search if you're interested in more frame geometry information because my knowledge is pretty basic. There's some pretty detailed and nerdy stuff out there for those who are interested.

Post a pic of your trance when you build it.

Posted: Jan 29, 2016 at 13:47 Quote
I got two 10 mm spacers in the box

Posted: Jan 29, 2016 at 13:53 Quote
Thanks. Got my 350 yesterday. Came with a 20mm and a 10mm spacer. Looks like a beautiful fork.

Posted: Jan 29, 2016 at 14:52 Quote
OKAY GUYS!
MY TRANCE SX FRAME SNAPPED!

Posted: Jan 29, 2016 at 15:18 Quote
wonder what ur new frame color will be?

Cool

Posted: Jan 29, 2016 at 20:13 Quote
mountainbiker-finn wrote:
OKAY GUYS!

We're you running the stock length shock or the 57mm?

Posted: Jan 29, 2016 at 20:45 Quote
R-P-S wrote:
mountainbiker-finn wrote:
OKAY GUYS!

We're you running the stock length shock or the 57mm?

Stock

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.011761
Mobile Version of Website