Riding older DH bikes

PB Forum :: Downhill
Riding older DH bikes
  • Previous Page
Posted: Jul 11, 2014 at 10:37 Quote
So as the title says any of you guys/gals still ride "older" DH bikes?

I still have a 2006 bighit but i stopped racing and riding for a few years due to injury after 2007 but in the last year ive gotten back into just riding DH, im not going to go back to racing even though im only 23 its just not me anymore!

But i got some serious stick from some guys on a local trail when i was riding my "old" heavy bike needless to say i told them where to go and carried on my day still enjoying my old heavy bighit, It feels like ive missed so much in the few years i was out of it but should i really be embarrassed to ride a bighit on my local trail or bikepark should someone with say a kona stinky also feel like the same like they cant enjoy their bike because its not less than 3 years old?

Just kind of pissed me off when i was in the scene didn't matter what you rode it was all about how you rode no one cared about if your bike was higher spec than theirs sure you would chat and have conversations about spec but it wasnt a biggie now all of a sudden im 23 on an 8 year old bike and im not good enough to be doing DH?

WTF MAN!? anyone else still ride these "old" bikes and aren't embarrassed to do so?Helmet

Posted: Jul 11, 2014 at 11:20 Quote
I do!
25 years old and get made fun of daily on the internet over them. I love them though and don't mind all the hate I get with them. Old bikes have pretty fun geometry and you don't have to worry about snapping the headtube off.

photo

photo

Posted: Jul 11, 2014 at 11:23 Quote
and they are both awesome looking pieces of kit! thats what i mean man! if theyre still fun and your shredding on them why should it matter if mines nearly a decade older than yours! heck id even still race my bighit! im tempted to show its not all about the gear you got!

Keep shredding on those bad boys though! tup tup Salute

Posted: Jul 13, 2014 at 13:02 Quote
Bike doesn't matter. I've got an 08 stinky that still does the job and I won't replace it til the frame fails.

Posted: Jul 13, 2014 at 14:03 Quote
I have a 05 stinky Primo and the last guy who made fun of it ended his run with a faceplant trying to follow me...
I also have a brand new YT Tues, sure it's lighter, and has much better suspensions, but the difference is not that big if you're not racing and just want to have fun.

I'm proud of my old bike, it's in good condition and has a lot of history and character than the new 27.5".
Keep your old rig, get some skills back, and show the youngsters how it's done !

Posted: Jul 13, 2014 at 20:56 Quote
I ride a 09 rocky mountain flatline and it still goes just as fast and jumps just as good as these new bikes do. To tell ya the truth i think my old single pivot heavy ass tank feels way better then a new carbon framed twig feeling bike. But, thats just me. I love my old shred sled!

Get your riding dialed back in and go rip the shit outta your local hills on that beast!

Posted: Jul 14, 2014 at 0:11 Quote
i have a 07 big hit 3 brought about a month ago guy brought it new in 2008 used it for 6 months then put it in the basement, bikes basically new original tires grips everything i find it awesome just ordered some sram guide brakes for it and some minion tires wil ast me a long time and was 690 usd

Posted: Jul 14, 2014 at 1:42 Quote
Thats awesome guys! its good to know the mtb scene hasnt completely turned into snobs! Im just going to focus on my riding and keep enjoying it screw the others that hate! Salute

But that bighit deal! wow!! that is one hell of a bargain! any pics?

Posted: Jul 14, 2014 at 2:02 Quote
bumnose wrote:
Thats awesome guys! its good to know the mtb scene hasnt completely turned into snobs! Im just going to focus on my riding and keep enjoying it screw the others that hate! Salute

But that bighit deal! wow!! that is one hell of a bargain! any pics?

yeah im in New Zealand bike prices over here seem to be cheaper, ill put one up tomorrow its brown haha only thing ive changed is the front disc as it was bent for now, i find mountain bikers to be alot nicer compared to people that ride dirt bikes

Posted: Jul 14, 2014 at 2:35 Quote
The older the better Big Grin I started DH with a '04 Santa Cruz Bullit. That bike was a beast. Still have it's frame exposed in my room like a trophy Big Grin Old bikes are bombproof. They are also unique Wink

Posted: Jul 14, 2014 at 4:37 Quote
I've got a lot of respect for people on older bikes, saw this crazy retro Schwinn thing coming down cwm carn and it was the best sight in the world.
my bikes only 09 but people still think its ancient aha

Posted: Jul 14, 2014 at 5:10 Quote
Right on guys!!!

I wouldn't even consider my 06 bighit that old but clearly to some people it is! People that are still killing it on older bikes prove it's the rider not the bike!

Posted: Jul 14, 2014 at 9:44 Quote
Man i have a 2001 foes dh tube . Still ride it at mt.creek. When i got the bike brand new I didnt ride that much at the time. Then i had a child - this puts things on hold) Then a mortage and a car payment... Recently staretd riding it again as now i have time and people say thats the oldest thing on the mountain.LOL. Turth is bike works fine I have had the bearings replaced and the bike rebuilt 2 years ago. Im not about to replace it becuase some young buck wants to Say my bike is old. Ill replace it when i break it.

Posted: Jul 14, 2014 at 20:04 Quote
laynehip wrote:
I do!
25 years old and get made fun of daily on the internet over them. I love them though and don't mind all the hate I get with them. Old bikes have pretty fun geometry and you don't have to worry about snapping the headtube off.

photo

photo

That scream is awsome! What forks are those?

Posted: Jul 14, 2014 at 20:47 Quote
I still have a 2005 Knolly V-Tach with 888's on the front. Just put a double barrel on for the rear shock. The bike is still totally relavent today as far as angles and performance go, just a little on the heavier side. It rocks as a Whistler bike park bike, or any trail that is super steep like the 5th Horseman on Cypress. I ride a Knolly Chilcotin for everything else.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.014839
Mobile Version of Website