Lyrik R upgrade?

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Lyrik R upgrade?
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Jul 23, 2014 at 3:45 Quote
Looking for a little help on this one.

I have a 2012 Norco Range 3 with Lyrik R uturn fork. I decided to upgrade the fork to a mission control DH damper.
I did a little research online and found it is a good idea to do the rebound damper assembly at the same time as the compression damper.

I went ahead and ordered the parts, being 1 mission control dh compression damper PN 11.4015.544.160, and 1 mission control rebound damper PN 11.4015.416.020. I got the parts and decided to do the upgrade myself.

When I was installing the compression damper I noticed the glide rings on the damper did not really have a tight fit to the stanchions inner diameter. I went ahead and put fresh oil back in as per the rock shox service manual. I then started playing around on the bike. The rebound damper worked fine, but no matter what the high speed and low speed compression settings seemed to have no effect on the fork.

I did a little more research and found that too little oil can cause the damper to not have enough oil in to function properly. I tried adding oil in very small increments, 5ml at a time and trying the fork out again. No change until I added too much and found the fork did not have full travel.

I then disassembled the fork added the correct amount of oil back in (193ml). I took the bike for a ride and found no matter what I couldn't feel the difference in compression adjustments. This was last fall and I decided to ride it and deal with it in the spring. This spring I brought it in to my LBS and had them take a look at it. After a few days was told that those components are not compatible with my fork. That the glide rings were too small to seal against the stanchions I pointed out that the RockShox spare parts catalogue clearly states that both dampers are compatible with all Lyrik years and models. They told me that this was an OEM fork and built to different tolerances, and that to upgrade I would have to buy a sleeve and a different PN/style compression damper.

So basically my question is does this seem right? Anyone else come across this before? I mean probably 80% or more of the forks out there on bikes are OEM and came with the bike. If they're made to different tolerances should Rockshox be putting that they are compatible with all years and models in their spare parts catalogue?

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.009530
Mobile Version of Website