British 26" steel hard tail frame with tapered head for new build ?

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
British 26" steel hard tail frame with tapered head for new build ?
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Jul 23, 2014 at 10:33 Quote
Hi, I'm thinking of building a new hard tail bike up as I have a few spare bits and I'd like to use a british frame really (god save the queen and all that). I've been using an old Orange P7 (1999) for years for local scratching around and keeping fit but it's time to retire her, get her resprayed and only use for special (very sunny) days.

So I'm looking for idea's for good british STEEL hard tail frames that accept 26" wheels. I've also got a spare (new) 120mm Fox 32 Float fork so the frame will have to have a 1 1/8 1.5 tappered head on it.

I'll be using the bike for local woods, maybe Cannock now and again, tow paths, country lanes .... I'd like to build something I'd like to keep long term. Also having hub gears is a possibility, maybe ..

I'm struggling to find any decent frames now, everyone seems to have gone down the 650 route.

Thoughts ?

Posted: Jul 23, 2014 at 10:54 Quote
Ononeuk.com has there 456 evo 2 frames for cheap but if you want to spend some money definitely look at the Stanton Slackline 631. Ragley has 26inch steel frames available and so does NS bikes. Honestly, I don't know of any steel hardtail frame manufactures that have completely converted to 650b only. A lot of them are convertible to both 26" or 650b.

Posted: Jul 23, 2014 at 10:57 Quote
nockiseo wrote:
Ononeuk.com has there 456 evo 2 frames for cheap but if you want to spend some money definitely look at the Stanton Slackline 631. Ragley has 26inch steel frames available and so does NS bikes. Honestly, I don't know of any steel hardtail frame manufactures that have completely converted to 650b only. A lot of them are convertible to both 26" or 650b.

Great thanks that's a few things to look at and I was just checking out the Cotic Soul 26 to which looks like a nice bit of kit, 853 tubes as well Mmmmmmm

Posted: Jul 23, 2014 at 11:00 Quote
swebb wrote:
nockiseo wrote:

Great thanks that's a few things to look at and I was just checking out the Cotic Soul 26 to which looks like a nice bit of kit, 853 tubes as well Mmmmmmm

Yup no problem, Stanton also has the Slackline 853 and the Ti version, very much mmmmm!tup

Posted: Aug 2, 2014 at 11:53 Quote
nockiseo wrote:
swebb wrote:
nockiseo wrote:

Yup no problem, Stanton also has the Slackline 853 and the Ti version, very much mmmmm!tup

I've been having a read about the Stanton Slackline 631, I'm thinking that might be the way to go. I was thinking 853 was the tube of choice but after reading around the subject the only improvement it gives for a bike is extra strength against denting the tubes, basic strength and weight are basically the same.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.013084
Mobile Version of Website