Widening chain stays - is it possible?

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Widening chain stays - is it possible?
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Jul 24, 2014 at 8:43 Quote
Hi all,

I've found an old steel road frame, and figured it would make a nice commuter with the 28x1.6" (700x40c) wheelset I salvaged from a V-brake cruiser bike... that is, if the extra tyre width can be handled.
photo

The front wheel fits without problem. The back wheel fits too, but only if it's deflated, slided all the way back and even then, at full pressure again, it *barely* touches the chain stays; everywhere else there is enough clearance (at least 5mm-1"/4). in the following pics the tape shows where it touches:
photo

First doubt, I'm not sure if a standard caliper road brake can surround the tyre and make the pads hit the rim properly.
But the main issue here is tyre clearance. As I see it, these are my choices:
- Grind 1mm from the back of the dropouts, so I can move the wheel further.
- Widen the chain stays, probably by clamping the frame in a vice between a wood block and a metal punch, tightening slowly and checking often.
- Doing both.
photo
photo

Why not simply use a typical road wheelset then?
- The extra width is perfect for city use IMHO.
- A proper touring frame is very hard to come by here; besides, I want this to be a lowcost project.
- My frame is nothing special and, should something go wrong, it wouldn't be such a loss.

Before summoning disaster, I've decided to ask PB if they have ever done something like this, how, and the results.
Thanks in advance!

PS: I'm trying to find a way to post thumbnails so pics don't fill the screen.

Posted: Jul 24, 2014 at 23:01 Quote
My suggestion is not touch the frame, because it will jeopardize your safety.
If its me, I rather find a slimmer tyre, try to find "a less balooning" tyre profile or down your size a little bit. 700cx38 might fit and the difference is small.

With that tight space, I am afraid you will encounter the problem with your brake clearance too.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.010963
Mobile Version of Website