Increasing Travel on a 130mm or 140mm Pike

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Increasing Travel on a 130mm or 140mm Pike
  • Previous Page
Posted: Aug 19, 2014 at 18:24 Quote
I have seen a lot of stuff about lower forks from say 160mm to 150-140mm, but is it possible to increase the travel of an OE fork? For example, the new Santa Cruz Chameleon comes with a 130mm Pike and the Canyon Spectral comes with a 140mm Pike. Would it be possible to increase the travel on both to 150mm and how much work and expense would be involved?

Posted: Aug 20, 2014 at 0:01 Quote
what model year is your Pike?

Posted: Aug 20, 2014 at 16:43 Quote
I assume it's a 2014 or 2015. It's on the new Canyon Spectral and on the new Santa Cruz Chameleon. The reason I ask is because I'm very interested in the Canyon, but would like to have the fork at 150mm. I have a Chilean friend, so I can get the bike shipped to her and then have her forward it to me here in the US. That bike seems pretty unbeatable for the price and the specs listed. What is your opinion?

http://www.santacruzbicycles.com/en/us/chameleon
https://www.canyon.com/_en/mountainbikes/bike.html?b=3560

Posted: Aug 21, 2014 at 18:06 Quote
Does no one know the answer to this?

O+
Posted: Aug 21, 2014 at 22:36 Quote
It depends on how they make them for the shorter travel options. I purchased my pike at 150mm, but I was able to extend it out only by buying a new air piston. Reason being is that the uppers used on the 150mm and 160mm pike are the same part.

Since the Pikes that come factory at 130 or 140 seemed to come about after the fact, I can't seem to find anything on SRAMs website relating to those forks specifically which would indicate different part number uppers.

Posted: Aug 22, 2014 at 4:19 Quote
no need for new uppers.

you can increase the travel of the fork by removing the shims under negative spring (if they installed) or by repositioning the negative spring (nit actual for pike, coz it has air neg spring).

unfortunately I had no new pikes to service in my home workshop. but you can remove your air spring and make a photo for me to take a closer look. after that I surely can help you.

Posted: Aug 22, 2014 at 7:05 Quote
Ok, thanks a lot for the info guys.

Twowheel: So you think it should be a fairly easy fix to get them let out to 150? Would it be something I could do myself or a bike shop would need to do it? I asked Canyon about it and they just tried to get me to spend more money and get the model with the 150 Pike on it, but that didn't make much sense.

Chuvak: I haven't bought the bike yet, so I won't be able to get any pictures for you. Hopefully I will have the bike within a few months if can get my Specialized Pitch sold.

Posted: Aug 22, 2014 at 10:05 Quote
I just made my pike from 150mm to 160mm, I changed the air shaft.

the shaft says that it works for 26 "160mm - 27.5" 150mm - 29 "130mm

the 150mm shaft says that it works for 26 "150mm - 27.5" 140mm - 29 "120mm

Posted: Aug 22, 2014 at 11:10 Quote
Thanks evil. Just curious, what do you mean when you say you changed the air shaft? Will I need new parts or is it an internal modification? Also, will I able able to do it myself? I have changed out the damper in the previous Pike and also upgraded the damper in my DP Sektor, so if it is as easy as that I'd be down to tackle the job myself.

Any info on changing the Pike solo air to DP air? I read somewhere that it wouldn't work because the lowers and uppers have specific requirements that only come as one unit from the factory (I hope that makes sense).

Posted: Aug 22, 2014 at 12:13 Quote
i change this part to get 160mm in my 26" pike

RockShox Pike air shaft to raise it from 150mm to 160mm

O+
Posted: Aug 22, 2014 at 12:52 Quote
When I changed out the piston in my fork it took me about an hour. That included removing the fork from the bike, and the time for me to run around like a chicken with my head cut off because the syringe I was planning on using to put the oil inside the lowers froze up. Apparently fork oil causes certain types of rubber to expand.

As far as converting to dual air, I'm under the impression that it is entirely possible. Part number 11.4018.010.113 is listed as the full dual air assembly with air cap, adjustment knob, and shaft bolt. I had thought about doing that instead of just keeping it solo air, but the additional 105 dollars kept me at bay (and that's at wholesale.)

Posted: Aug 22, 2014 at 14:52 Quote
TwoWheelMike wrote:
Apparently fork oil causes certain types of rubber to expand.
never use fork oil for the lowers. It does not perform function of friction surfaces' lubricating. full synthetic motor oil 5W-30 is perfect.

O+
Posted: Aug 22, 2014 at 16:43 Quote
Well being that the fork is brand new, and the forks service manual calls for rockshox 0w-30 suspension fluid, I'll take my chances.

Posted: Aug 22, 2014 at 21:41 Quote
This post makes me think it might not be possible. I thought I read somewhere else where someone had actually attempted the conversion and had problems, but I can find that post.

http://forums.mtbr.com/shocks-suspension/retrofit-solo-air-pike-dual-position-air-spring-894628.html

I have looked at the Pike service manual and spare parts, but can't find a definitive answer. I would be awesome if I had the option to switch between solo air and dual position air.

O+
Posted: Aug 22, 2014 at 22:38 Quote
Aha... Well while I wonder about this dimple, I'm now noticing that sram has different part numbers for the uppers. So based on the assumption that you would need both the upper and the dpa assembly, buying the parts from someone like me would end up costing just about 500 bucks. May as well just buy a brand new pike and sell off the old one.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.011808
Mobile Version of Website