Convert RS drop stop to external preload

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Convert RS drop stop to external preload
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Oct 3, 2014 at 7:41 Quote
God day y'all!

So had a wrench day today and fiddled up a neat solution to making something useful of the Rock Shox drop stop system. It converts the drop stop to an external preload.

As usual, I take no responsibilities for forks that blow up or anything, you do this at your own risk.

So what is needed?

2ize 16 wrenches
A few shims
An optional bearing

First step: Turn the drop stop on full soft. Remove the spring top cap from the spring stanchion, remove the rubber rod inside the spring. Then use the two wrenches to remove the long shaft. The rubber rod and shaft will not be useable after the procedure, so of into the bin with those.
na

Step two: Take the top cap and remove the c-clip at the end. Make a small mark on the threaded part just above the outer bore it is threaded into. Then thread out the threaded section that the long shaft was threaded onto. Just turn the knob to in the harder direction and it will come of.

na

Step three: Take that short threaded tube and cut it in two just below the mark you made. Save both pieces.

Step four: Thread back the piece that was inside housing when you marked it, that part should be just flush with the edge of the bore. Then find some fitting shims that has an ID that is greater than the shaft but smaller than the OD of the threaded piece you put back.

Final piece should look like this, if you want to prevent coil bind you can first try without a bearing and check how much prelaod you will use and how much space you have to work with to fit in a bearing.

na

Now remount the top cap and go out and shred!

If you are opting to put in a bearing you have a few additional considerations

Find a thin enough bearing so you dont use to much preload for the spring.

The bearing ID only need to clear the shaft but the shim that it sits against has to have an OD of less then the OD of the bearing.

The bearing OD needs to rest on the spring, i.e create a nice support. Just like on rear coils.

Posted: Oct 3, 2014 at 7:49 Quote
pretty simple but useful operation. GJ Beer

Posted: Oct 3, 2014 at 10:57 Quote
Yep sometimes the planets line up

I even thought I would drop RS a line about a way to incorporate this and the normal drop stop in one. If they use the same principle as the comp top cap you could have both.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.011561
Mobile Version of Website