What to expect with a torn ACL & MCL

PB Forum :: Fitness, Training and Health
What to expect with a torn ACL & MCL
Posted: May 17, 2015 at 12:20 Quote
Justachillin2 wrote:
Here is my story. Busted my acl mcl and minicus in October of 13. Surgery in late December due to healthcare in the military being so slow. Recovery was slow but was able to pick up MTB as my only source of exercise. Fell in love with it. Rode all last summer and bought 2 bikes. Winter came and I still can't run for more than a few min without pain. Went back to the doc and he gave me a shot and it was great for about 3 weeks. Another MRI and he said there was a buildup if scare tissue. He scheduled me for a scope this coming Wednesday the the 20th of May. Meanwhile I already bought a new bike 2015 enduro Comp and looking forward to all the riding and traveling this summer. I currently live in Germany. Went riding at a local downhill park on Thursday with a friend. Literally 100ft into the trail I barely clipped a tree and was going down so I put out my right leg to catch myself and my knee buckled. I knew immediately what it was. I wasn't even going fast at all. So pissed. Trip to the hospital and MRI confirmed acl and mcl. f*ck my life. Since I had a scheduled pre op with the surgeon on Tuesday I kept it. Cancelled the surgery for my left knee on Wednesday. Such the luck I have.

Nightmare fella, is that both buggered then?

I'm not bothering having the surgery until Sept/Oct this year, just so I could ride this summer and chill over the winter period while it hopefully repairs.

FL
Posted: May 17, 2015 at 14:13 Quote
jskiff wrote:
Justachillin2 wrote:
Here is my story. Busted my acl mcl and minicus in October of 13. Surgery in late December due to healthcare in the military being so slow. Recovery was slow but was able to pick up MTB as my only source of exercise. Fell in love with it. Rode all last summer and bought 2 bikes. Winter came and I still can't run for more than a few min without pain. Went back to the doc and he gave me a shot and it was great for about 3 weeks. Another MRI and he said there was a buildup if scare tissue. He scheduled me for a scope this coming Wednesday the the 20th of May. Meanwhile I already bought a new bike 2015 enduro Comp and looking forward to all the riding and traveling this summer. I currently live in Germany. Went riding at a local downhill park on Thursday with a friend. Literally 100ft into the trail I barely clipped a tree and was going down so I put out my right leg to catch myself and my knee buckled. I knew immediately what it was. I wasn't even going fast at all. So pissed. Trip to the hospital and MRI confirmed acl and mcl. f*ck my life. Since I had a scheduled pre op with the surgeon on Tuesday I kept it. Cancelled the surgery for my left knee on Wednesday. Such the luck I have.

Nightmare fella, is that both buggered then?

I'm not bothering having the surgery until Sept/Oct this year, just so I could ride this summer and chill over the winter period while it hopefully repairs.
Well my left one just needs some scar tissue removed so I can run again. I will postpone that til the right one is done and healed up now. Hopefully I can get in wishing the next few weeks so I can start on the rehab part.

Posted: May 18, 2015 at 13:05 Quote
Good luck fella.

I've got a good few months before all that.

Wishing you a speedy recovery

FL
Posted: May 19, 2015 at 7:00 Quote
Well saw the doc today and I'm going under the knife tomorrow! May be a longer rehab though. I really messed up my MCL I guess. He may have to repair it because it might not grow back on its own. Wish me luck!

Posted: May 19, 2015 at 7:50 Quote
Justachillin2 wrote:
Well saw the doc today and I'm going under the knife tomorrow! May be a longer rehab though. I really messed up my MCL I guess. He may have to repair it because it might not grow back on its own. Wish me luck!

Good luck bro...

Posted: May 28, 2015 at 11:14 Quote
Just had my ACL operation bout 5 weeks ago. Took 3yrs from initial injury, but glad it's done now. Back on bike after 5 weeks, but taking it very easy. Surgeon said long as movements in straight line should be fine. Do worry bout pushing to hard, but when on the bike, it's hard not to.
Well hope you guys are all OK and finally getting back out on your bikes, even if it is only leisurely rides.

FL
Posted: May 28, 2015 at 11:46 Quote
Strewthm8 wrote:
Just had my ACL operation bout 5 weeks ago. Took 3yrs from initial injury, but glad it's done now. Back on bike after 5 weeks, but taking it very easy. Surgeon said long as movements in straight line should be fine. Do worry bout pushing to hard, but when on the bike, it's hard not to.
Well hope you guys are all OK and finally getting back out on your bikes, even if it is only leisurely rides.

Nice! That's pretty quick! From what I heard is that you don't need your acl but it could pop out at any time and it's pretty much wearing a brace for any activity. I just got my bandages off today and good lord. It wasn't just with a scope for my mcl. It's like a 7 inch incision. I would post a pic but don't know if it would be appropriate.

Posted: May 28, 2015 at 23:51 Quote
Bl9idy hell dude that sounds grim. Hope you're ok!

@strewthm8 - 5 weeks? Really, thats awesome i was expecting 6 months. I'm getting mine sorted in Oct so that i had the summer to dick about and rest up over winter.

Posted: Jun 1, 2015 at 12:24 Quote
I'm only taking it easy.. Surgeon recommended 8months. So want to try once a week to take the bike for gentle ride around local trails. Don't get me wrong, still feels stiff. Plus from few stories I've heard, definitely just going slow. Couple folks have ruptured their grafts after 4 months. .
But hope everyone recovers quickly and successfully and gets back out riding pain free soon as they're fit and ready. Time heals us all. But fook it gets harder as you get older.

@jskiff.... I was expecting similar to what you've heard. But soon as you've had operation, your doing physio 2 weeks later. If you do everything they say, don't push it, you'll be surprised how quick things happen. But as said, don't push to hard..

Posted: Jun 1, 2015 at 14:44 Quote
Cheers for the heads up fella.

I've heard a few similar stories, I intend on chilling for the winter. Aiming to get the op in October then chill until March (ish) so 6 months of getting fat! (er) haha

Good luck to you bro.

Posted: Jun 3, 2015 at 19:52 Quote
I'm getting stronger now, just 7 months out since the OP. Still have pain some days, but mostly from the MCL area. I do were my cti brace to PT, and on the bike, but not really pushing it on the bike.

A buddy of mine at work, is going for a new ACL tomorrow morning. Can't help but think "another one bites the dust..."
Cheers to everyone rehabbing their knees!

Posted: Jun 4, 2015 at 9:40 Quote
I tore my MCL and ACL last Feb. skiing. No meniscus damage, thank god. Knee felt relatively good fast. It has been pretty stable since the injury with just some pain in the hamstring area.

Doc says my MCL is pretty lax still but "shouldnt" be a problem. I put off ACLr surgery till Sept. 14th so I could be active and on the bike this summer. Sometimes I think about cancelling the surgery but I've been down that road with my other knee and just had multiple dislocations (17yrs ago had aclr of the opposite knee).

Hoping for a fast and good recovery, plus no subsquent injuries this summer. ( knock on wood).

Posted: Jun 4, 2015 at 12:27 Quote
Good luck fella.

I did exactly the same with my ACL surgery, having mine in October.

Fingers crossed for all of us cripples!!!!

Smile

Posted: Jun 4, 2015 at 15:43 Quote
Thanks and good luck to you too!!

You gotta be smart but we cant let these set backs get us down...

Posted: Jun 6, 2015 at 15:55 Quote
Just got back from a light trail ride. Was awesome to be back on the bike!!!
Feeling a bit sore, but planning to hit something a little more challenging tomorrow. No pain no gain. Speedy recovery to all and be safe

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.023158
Mobile Version of Website