What to expect with a torn ACL & MCL

PB Forum :: Fitness, Training and Health
What to expect with a torn ACL & MCL
Mod
Posted: Jan 5, 2016 at 17:28 Quote
riish wrote:
MilkweedSeed wrote:
Finally discharged from PT yesterdayCool . But still suffer from high amounts pain sometimes? Halloween will be a year since the surgery.
All you who have had the surgery a while ago, do you still get extreme bursts of pain, and knee popping/locking and stiffness, will it ever go away?Dead Horse

no pain at all here unless I poke and prod at the graft removal spot . I'm only at 6 months though.
still stiff on colder mornings, but seems to be holding up okay. played two hours of soccer with some mates yesterday which went fine, stoked about that

I can't remember how long its been now.. I think since Jan 2013 so 3 years since surgery. I still get pain if I put my leg down twisted when riding or walking or whatever. while the whole joint is really solid, it sure does swell up fast if I twist it at all, then I'm limping for a few weeks and stiff- but as you may remember, I had significant damage to the cartilage and bone as well - so I'm thinking it's a permanent problem until it becomes problem enough that a knee replacement is in order. It also does not help that I am overweight. But performance wise - its as good as it was new.

Posted: Jan 11, 2016 at 9:09 Quote
Im 20 months in now roughly and have dull pain sometimes, in the cold it gets a little stiffer but i tend to wear knee warmers or pads a little to keep them a little warmer!

I very rarely get a little un stable an it gives in but that is pretty rarely! My whole left side of the leg i had it is numb though which isnt the most idea sometimes as i walk into stuff Frown

Never get what you do tho t3rry!

Posted: Jan 11, 2016 at 23:23 Quote
I'm about 10 weeks post op, my leg also feels a bit numb, weird sensation actually it still doesn't really feel like my leg haha its hard to explain.

On the whole I can't complain, I've not really suffered too much, the whole process has been quite easy, albeit that i have a long way to go. Its still fairly weak and there has a significant amount of muscle wastage, however I'm working on it daily.

Fingers crossed and equally I hope the issues guys are suffering pass sooner rather than later.

Posted: Jan 12, 2016 at 0:34 Quote
9 months post-op, ACL reco'd leg is better than the other one. deadlifted 440lbs today, then smashed out 5x8 single-leg bosu squats on it.

there's definitely light at the end of the tunnel, work hard and do exactly what the physio says, you'll be golden. i still have that little palm-sized numb patch on the outside of my knee though, dunno if that'll go eventually. good luck jskiff.

Posted: Jan 12, 2016 at 1:55 Quote
riish wrote:
9 months post-op, ACL reco'd leg is better than the other one. deadlifted 440lbs today, then smashed out 5x8 single-leg bosu squats on it.

there's definitely light at the end of the tunnel, work hard and do exactly what the physio says, you'll be golden. i still have that little palm-sized numb patch on the outside of my knee though, dunno if that'll go eventually. good luck jskiff.

Cheers riish

Got a week in Morzine at the end of June booked and using it as a driving force and goal.

200kg is a shit load of weight, good luck with worlds strongest man haha

Posted: Jan 12, 2016 at 6:08 Quote
The numb patch around the incision does go away almost completely but it may take a few years

Posted: Feb 26, 2016 at 11:34 Quote
Just on update on me.

Been ACL less since last year February, when I tore my MCL and ACL. I didnt have any damage to the meniscus/cartilege and I was able to recover fairly well and fast, infact I had a full MTB season doing what ever I wanted. I was supposed to get surgery last Oct but feeling really good I decided to give myself more time. This winter I have been active skiing, working out, some pick up hockey and a little indoor MTB.

At this point I don't think I will opt for surgery unless I feel any instability or pain. The only symptom I may feel now is my hamstring is still a little sketch but Im working hard on it and its really 95% there.

Just putting it out there but it is possible to be ACL deficient and still be active. I think the key is to allow full healing before returning to sports. Also note that Im not playing high level pivoting sports like soccer or basketball.

Posted: Feb 26, 2016 at 11:56 Quote
inverted180 wrote:
Just on update on me.

Been ACL less since last year February, when I tore my MCL and ACL. I didnt have any damage to the meniscus/cartilege and I was able to recover fairly well and fast, infact I had a full MTB season doing what ever I wanted. I was supposed to get surgery last Oct but feeling really good I decided to give myself more time. This winter I have been active skiing, working out, some pick up hockey and a little indoor MTB.

At this point I don't think I will opt for surgery unless I feel any instability or pain. The only symptom I may feel now is my hamstring is still a little sketch but Im working hard on it and its really 95% there.

Just putting it out there but it is possible to be ACL deficient and still be active. I think the key is to allow full healing before returning to sports. Also note that Im not playing high level pivoting sports like soccer or basketball.

that's an awesome outcome! i spent a year without my right ACL, and initially it was great, but it slowly developed a little instability, so i had to get it fixed.

Posted: Feb 26, 2016 at 12:17 Quote
Hey don't burst my bubble...haha.

I have simply agonized over whether or not to get the surgery. The problem is I'm not feeling any pain or instability since the initial injury. Basically it feels completely normal and good. It's hard to convince myself to get it done when I'm doing everything I want to do and Im symptom free.

Like I said the first sign of instability I'm going in. Just hope I'm making the right decision and my worst nightmare is a dislocation where Im left wonder, if only I got the surgery. ahhh...I just have to forget about it.

Posted: Feb 26, 2016 at 13:47 Quote
inverted180 wrote:

I have simply agonized over whether or not to get the surgery. The problem is I'm not feeling any pain or instability since the initial injury. Basically it feels completely normal and good. It's hard to convince myself to get it done when I'm doing everything I want to do and Im symptom free.

Like I said the first sign of instability I'm going in. Just hope I'm making the right decision and my worst nightmare is a dislocation where Im left wonder, if only I got the surgery. ahhh...I just have to forget about it.

you're definitely making the right call by waiting and evaluating it. if you can do everything you want then why bother going through the whole surgery process

Mod
Posted: Feb 27, 2016 at 5:36 Quote
I'm jealous! Wish I had such a good outcome!

Posted: Mar 18, 2016 at 16:39 Quote
t3rry wrote:
how has your knee been fairing with winter coldness milkweed?

Hey so sorry for the slow reply... Sold our house at the end of the year. And still looking for a new one, so it's been pretty crazy.
Knee pain has subsided quite a bit, but there are some moments (weekly not daily) it sux. But glad the winter was fairly mild. Still using the ice cuff when the pain pops up, it does the job settling it down.

How about you?

Posted: Mar 18, 2016 at 16:50 Quote
riish wrote:
inverted180 wrote:

you're definitely making the right call by waiting and evaluating it. if you can do everything you want then why bother going through the whole surgery process

I totally agree, it's best to wait it out, unless your in the NHL or another pro sport at the highest level. I only waited 6 weeks before having the surgery. Seems like sitting it out and letting it heal as long as you can is best.

Posted: Mar 18, 2016 at 18:23 Quote
if it helps anyone....
tried switching all my back squat gym work to front squats after a bit of knee irritation and no progress in the size of my recovering side's quad.
seemed to help quite a lot, almost regained full size in 8 weeks after a few months of it going absolutely nowhere, and far less stress on the knee.

Posted: Mar 19, 2016 at 7:42 Quote
MilkweedSeed wrote:
riish wrote:
inverted180 wrote:

I totally agree, it's best to wait it out, unless your in the NHL or another pro sport at the highest level. I only waited 6 weeks before having the surgery. Seems like sitting it out and letting it heal as long as you can is best.

Here in Canada unless you are some superstar athlete there is no way your going to get the surgery that fast. 6 weeks for an MRI is likely and several more months for the surgery if your lucky.. but I wont knock our public system too much.

Truth be told I would have had the surgery too if they offered it that fast.... my first instinct was I was going to have it repaired... now Ibthink I will wait till I have a real reason. Its a perplexing thought though that I'm permanently missing a ligament in my knee.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.051213
Mobile Version of Website