Need some Insight. NEW to DH sport. Yeti 303WC, DEMO8, or Trek 9.9...Ready....go!

PB Forum :: Downhill
Need some Insight. NEW to DH sport. Yeti 303WC, DEMO8, or Trek 9.9...Ready....go!
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Nov 5, 2014 at 8:47 Quote
Hello everyone,
my names matt, I am from phoenix Arizona. I am new to the DH scene, I had a yeti 303rdh back in 2012, and a DA bomb before that. I currently stunt ride motorcycles. But iam looking to do transfer over to DH scene. I wanted some insight on a few bikes i am looking at. DEMO 8. YETI 303WC. or that trek 9.9. i am 6'1 so i need a XL frame. What can you guys tell me?!

Posted: Nov 7, 2014 at 11:06 Quote
go with an evil undead

Posted: Nov 7, 2014 at 15:20 Quote
Wheelieking92 wrote:
Hello everyone,
my names matt, I am from phoenix Arizona. I am new to the DH scene, I had a yeti 303rdh back in 2012, and a DA bomb before that. I currently stunt ride motorcycles. But iam looking to do transfer over to DH scene. I wanted some insight on a few bikes i am looking at. DEMO 8. YETI 303WC. or that trek 9.9. i am 6'1 so i need a XL frame. What can you guys tell me?!

I can't help a ton as I am relatively new myself. But I would say stick to a large frame, I am 6'3 and rode a L demo8 and it fit perfect. Demo 8 is the only DH bike I have ridden but from the time I spent on it I enjoyed myself although it took some getting used to how low the bottom bracket is. Had to be careful if I tried to pedal in rocky sections or stuff like that.

Posted: Nov 7, 2014 at 16:14 Quote
There are so many really good bikes now.
Out of the 3 you mentioned, I`ll 100% go with the 303 WC. I kinda agree with the Evil Undead too.
Look at the bikes` geometry first, and compare it to what you`ve been used to ride.
I`m 6'2", and I usually ride a Large. However I tried my friend`s Medium GT Fury 2013, and it was larger than the L`s I`ve ridden before. So make sure to take a look at the Reach, Top Tube Length etc.. first.
Good Luck

Posted: Nov 19, 2014 at 10:39 Quote
Thanks Guys! For all the help! Im leaning towards a yeti. at the moment. but still researching and visiting local bike shops. I had a yeti before. and liked it frame was a little small. I prefer bigger frame. cause itll feel alot like my motorcycle.

Posted: Nov 19, 2014 at 18:40 Quote
If you prefer a bigger bike go for a GT Fury or maybe a Norco Aurum. great bikes and you can get them in a proper size.

Imho the Yeti isn´t as good as the others. Problem is, the rail system doesn´t anything other well designed suspension systems can´t do, but you get the added maintenance and weight. On the 303WC the weight (rails and shock) sit quite high in the frame, leading to a weight distribution that is far from ideal. Although Yeti stopped theiur involvement in DH-Racing and are currently testing a new Prototype frame. Replacement parts for Yetis are allready very expensive. Seems if they change to a new design, the situation might only get worse as parts become harder to come by.
Btw, i have a 303RDH myself ;-)

The Trek is a VERY balanced bike. Does everything well, but nothing perfect. This characteristic makes it ideal for someone who´s a beginner or just getting back into DH. You´d want a XL Trek for sure, because the L is a very small bike.

Demo also is a balanced bike, just like the Trek. I´d get the cheaper one of the two.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.010734
Mobile Version of Website