Going from flats to clips, will it affect your race times?

PB Forum :: Downhill
Going from flats to clips, will it affect your race times?
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Nov 18, 2014 at 13:32 Quote
I know everyone has a preference and sometimes the conditions are going to aid in the decision (Super wet) but overall would you recommend clips for racing? I already ride flats with 5,10's and I'd be swapping between the pedals as and when based on how I feel. But would you say it's worth it, considering it's gonna cost around £100 for shoes and pedals?

Posted: Nov 18, 2014 at 17:35 Quote
Worth it to see if u like it. I am personally much faster on clipless for dh

Posted: Nov 22, 2014 at 17:07 Quote
Its hard to say. I have clips and flats and change them depending on where I am riding. If its somewhere i have rode a ton, then i usually go clipped as i feel as if i do perform better. If its a new trail, i usually go flats just in case i need to stop for something to check it out. but in general, for trails i know (like a trail your racing) i feel as if clips are faster for me.

These are the shoes i run:

http://http://streamlinebikesupply.com/collections/shoes/products/five-ten-maltese-falcon-race-mono-grey-red-shoe

They are an SPD shoe, so its not ideal for hiking. but they perform great on platforms and clips

Posted: Nov 23, 2014 at 10:55 Quote
Yeah like the guys said above, I'd strongly suggest you try them. Getting used to the unclipping is not hard nor long, and honestly the only times it'll make you fall you'll be stopped and falling on your side, barely gonna hurt yourself. While riding, they will keep your feet on exactly the right spot on your pedal all the time and you still get a substantial amount of side movement which helps with balance in my opinion, might even be a strong advantage since with flats you almost cannot move your feet without taking it completely off the pedal, so that's two birds one stone

Posted: Nov 27, 2014 at 12:32 Quote
Completely down to personal preference bud, in my opinion they ruined my riding, I love moving around on the bike too much. Saying that though, I did feel a hell of a lot faster, and I'll be clipped in on the new team bike by mid season to keep up with those fast euro kids at IXS. Let me know if you wanna try mine though man! We'll have to ride as soon as she arrives!

Posted: Nov 27, 2014 at 19:36 Quote
I rode clips (AM and DH) for two seasons and I have recently gone back to flats. Clips will make you faster if you are more confident, but it is likely to only be a gap of 1 or 2 seconds max. I'm faster on flats because I am willing to push it way more in a race run. That said I keep the clips on hand, and if I feel really confident on a track I might run them for races, as they do give you a slight advantage. As everyone says, give them a go. Some people love them and stick with them, I'm not so keen. Personally even after two years they scare the crap out of me, and I sure as hell would not want to go otb in them, as contrary to what clipped riders say, they do not always release as quickly as you want.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.011623
Mobile Version of Website