Trek Session vs Canfield Jedi

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
Trek Session vs Canfield Jedi
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Jan 23, 2015 at 9:11 Quote
So I limited my choices after a good search to these two , but I want a bike that is fun ....pretty much pedal-able and forgiving ..... I'm a bit concerned of the weight but not much and would prefer a 26'er . Also I'm thinking of which company is the best in terms of trust etc.

So between a Trek Session and Canfield Jedi which one would you suggest ? Any experiences

Thanks

Posted: Jan 24, 2015 at 5:42 Quote
MechEng91 wrote:
???????

Canfield Jedi all the way my friend.
Only because I had a go of one when I was over in California visiting my sister.
And it was fantastic fun.
And also I don't have a great love of Taiwanese companies

Posted: Jan 24, 2015 at 6:45 Quote
ProfessorSchaftenberg wrote:
MechEng91 wrote:
???????

Canfield Jedi all the way my friend.
Only because I had a go of one when I was over in California visiting my sister.
And it was fantastic fun.
And also I don't have a great love of Taiwanese companies

Thanks mate Smile Well I really like the support from Canfield brothers but i'm a bit skeptical about the nature of the Jedi as I want a playful pedal-able bike able to eat everything up ahead :/ Btw some models of Trek such as session 9.9 are built in Usa

Posted: Jan 24, 2015 at 7:43 Quote
the Jedi is on new level compared to a Session

The session is lighter, but not stronger by any means, the jedi has a rearward axle path that actually increases speed as you hit bumps, the session has the active brake pivot the has the same axle path as a single pivot, but does not brake jack, but with the jedi it has a parallel axle path that just blows everything else into its dust, it has two links that make a rearward arc, it doesn't brake jack, but with the way that canfield designs their suspension it makes the jedi more pedalable than any other dh bike. Rode one once and it is phenomenal, comfortable on it the second i sat on it.

I am not saying that the session is bad, just that jedi kicks dust in its face.

Posted: Jan 24, 2015 at 8:17 Quote
shakenbake11 wrote:

The session is lighter, but not stronger by any means, the jedi has a rearward axle path that actually increases speed as you hit bumps, the session has the active brake pivot the has the same axle path as a single pivot, but does not brake jack, but with the jedi it has a parallel axle path that just blows everything else into its dust, it has two links that make a rearward arc, it doesn't brake jack, but with the way that canfield designs their suspension it makes the jedi more pedalable than any other dh bike. Rode one once and it is phenomenal, comfortable on it the second i sat on it.

Thanks mate ,so would you suggest it ? Have you ridden both ?
I have to say I may go with the jedi

Posted: Jan 24, 2015 at 8:43 Quote
[Quote=":/ Btw some models of Trek such as session 9.9 are built in Usa[/Quote]

Now this I did not know.
I thought they moved all their operations to Taiwan.
Maybe Giant I'm thinking of.

Yeah,I have been in touch with the Canfield guys last month, and they are likeable dudes.

You would be in good hands,on or off the bike.

Posted: Jan 24, 2015 at 9:40 Quote
Theres this guy on pinkbike. I'll give you a link to his channel. He is sooooooo playful on his jedi.

Posted: Jan 24, 2015 at 9:41 Quote
https://www.pinkbike.com/u/funkylicious/

There you go! He has some serious skill!

Posted: Jan 24, 2015 at 16:29 Quote
MechEng91 wrote:
shakenbake11 wrote:

No sir, i have not but based on specs and how there is not one bad review of the jedi, the jedi is what i would imagine to be better( i dare you to find one legitimate bad review of the jedi). i have seen many bad review on the session( not really how they ride, mostly it is because they snap fairly easy.

JEDI ALL THE WAY!!! i am also looking into buying a jedi by the way

O and i forgot that if you call canfield, you speak to the owner not a customer service rep

Posted: Jan 24, 2015 at 17:04 Quote
shakenbake11 wrote:
MechEng91 wrote:
shakenbake11 wrote:

No sir, i have not but based on specs and how there is not one bad review of the jedi, the jedi is what i would imagine to be better( i dare you to find one legitimate bad review of the jedi). i have seen many bad review on the session( not really how they ride, mostly it is because they snap fairly easy.

O and i forgot that if you call canfield, you speak to the owner not a customer service rep

I know that , but I have heard of not so many 2011+ Trek Sessions to be broken ...But I agree , I searched for some reviews for both bikes and no negative for the Jedi

Posted: Jan 24, 2015 at 17:15 Quote
MechEng91 wrote:
shakenbake11 wrote:
MechEng91 wrote:

I know that , but I have heard of not so many 2011+ Trek Sessions to be broken ...But I agree , I searched for some reviews for both bikes and no negative for the Jedi

Yes, i believe that they beefed it up in 2011, thats right

Posted: Jan 24, 2015 at 18:37 Quote
All that´s been said is fine, but there is one thing to consider.
Bikes with rearward axle path will always have a very special ride characteristic. It´s not something everyone can enjoy and certainly is more suitable to a certain riding style.
The Trek on the other hand is what i´d call an incredibly neutral feeling bike. You can put almost any rider on one and be almost 100% sure he will feel comfortable.
There are bikes that will outclass a session in some aspects, for example high speed stability or suspension performance (the Session is far from bad though!), but there are not many that blend so many capabilities that well into one frame.
So if you can´t test the canfield, i´d go Session just because you just can´t go wrong with it. The Canfield, even though i think it´s a great bike with a well thought out concept, i personally would like to test before buying, based on my prior experiences with similar designs.
Just my 2cent to make the decision even harder Wink

Posted: Jan 24, 2015 at 18:50 Quote
Loki87 wrote:
All that´s been said is fine, but there is one thing to consider.
Bikes with rearward axle path will always have a very special ride characteristic. It´s not something everyone can enjoy and certainly is more suitable to a certain riding style.
The Trek on the other hand is what i´d call an incredibly neutral feeling bike. You can put almost any rider on one and be almost 100% sure he will feel comfortable.
There are bikes that will outclass a session in some aspects, for example high speed stability or suspension performance (the Session is far from bad though!), but there are not many that blend so many capabilities that well into one frame.
So if you can´t test the canfield, i´d go Session just because you just can´t go wrong with it. The Canfield, even though i think it´s a great bike with a well thought out concept, i personally would like to test before buying, based on my prior experiences with similar designs.
Just my 2cent to make the decision even harder Wink

He has a valid statement, i think that the demo is famous because anyone can hop on it and ride.

first time i ever rode a dh bike, my friend let me ride his demo and cleared a 15 ft double without any practice
im 6ft3 and it was a small size demo

Posted: Jan 24, 2015 at 19:44 Quote
The Demo would be another example, yes.
Bikes like the Jedi just require you to accept their "design faults". They do certain things exceptionaly well. If you are willing to work with them (and not against them) and adapt to the bike, they can offer stellar performances.
However if you expect your bike to behave well on any track without sometimes showing quriky behaviour, look at a session or demo.
For example, my personal bike has a 1260mm wheelbase. I´m 5,9". It´s big.
That bike isn´t made for flowtrails or tight and twisty local tracks. It´s for going as fast as possible on real downhill tracks. I don´t care for tricks and i am willing to work the bike on tighter tracks for the benefit of incredible highspeed stability.
I have quite a few local WC,ex-worldcup and high alpine tracks around and therefore it´s a perfect fit for me.

So you should also consider the kind of terrain you are riding.
On tighter tracks the inherent design characteristic of the Jedi to lengthen it´s wheelbase in corners becomes more of a detriment, while on faster and rougher, more open courses it adds stability and comfort. On tighter courses with lower speeds the Sessions wheelpath will make for a more predictable steering feel and ease in getting the front wheel up and over obstacles, while on faster/rougher courses there are bikes that inspire more confidence and are more comfortable.

Despite the Session being marketed as a race bike, it´s IMHO more of a park/fun bike with huge capabilities (can´t speak about the 650B Session though). The Jedi is even by definition from canfield a racebike. That´s not to say you can´t do anything on either one, but they certainly will be handling different.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.037513
Mobile Version of Website