What Rear Shock Do I Need?

PB Forum :: Beginners
What Rear Shock Do I Need?
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Mar 20, 2015 at 7:00 Quote
Okay so as the title shows, im having trouble checking which rear shock i can use.

I have just purchased a 2012 Nukeproof Scalp frame and im after a rear shock, the Guy i bought it off said it fits a 214mm. however is it possible to use something smaller?

Any help will be appreciated.

Posted: Mar 20, 2015 at 8:35 Quote
Why do you want to run a smaller shock? That bike from what I've read is designed for a 9.5 inch shock.

Posted: Mar 20, 2015 at 9:13 Quote
robd420 wrote:
Why do you want to run a smaller shock? That bike from what I've read is designed for a 9.5 inch shock.

It just seems to be hard to find a cheapish shock of that size and they are few and far between.

This is going to be my first FS bike so i dont fancy spending a lot of money incase i cant get used to it.

Posted: Mar 20, 2015 at 10:21 Quote
There's lots of rear shocks on the buy sell forum. You could even try eBay.

Posted: Mar 20, 2015 at 10:53 Quote
Roger,

Just wanted to know wether it has to be that size or not thats all.

Posted: Mar 20, 2015 at 11:05 Quote
Try throwing a post up in either the Nukeproof or DH forums, you may get a better answer lol

Posted: Mar 20, 2015 at 23:29 Quote
The short answer is yes, it needs to be the correct size for the frame. In your case, 9.5" x 3" (240mm x 76mm).

You pretty much never want to run a different size shock than what the frame is designed for because it can mess up the geometry of the bike and prevent it from riding properly, cause excess stress on the frame which could lead to it failing, or even cause parts of the suspension linkage to collide with other parts of the frame.

Posted: Mar 21, 2015 at 7:37 Quote
foobajoob wrote:
The short answer is yes, it needs to be the correct size for the frame. In your case, 9.5" x 3" (240mm x 76mm).

You pretty much never want to run a different size shock than what the frame is designed for because it can mess up the geometry of the bike and prevent it from riding properly, cause excess stress on the frame which could lead to it failing, or even cause parts of the suspension linkage to collide with other parts of the frame.

Thabks thats what i was after Smile

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.010903
Mobile Version of Website