Raceface Next SL Cinch cranks creaking

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Raceface Next SL Cinch cranks creaking
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Mar 30, 2015 at 13:54 Quote
Hoping someone can help with a problem on a new set of Next SL cinch cranks I have.
Cant get rid of constant creaking from drive, changed BB to no avail., clean, reclean....
LBS installed these new but I returned a week later for creaking. They found the cinch lock ring that holds the 2x10 adapter very loose, probably 3 turns loose. After two more trips they can temporarily stop it but it comes back after about 5 miles of riding.
I'm thinking the aluminum lobs on the crank are worn to a point of causing the creaking. I measure about 4mm of play at the end of crank arm with the cinch nut loose. I'm thinking the engineering tolerances are much tighter than this and is causing the issue.

Picturehttp://fcdn.mtbr.com/attachments/drivetrain-shifters-derailleurs-cranks/977133d1427760070-raceface-next-sl-cinch-cranks-creaking-image.jpg

Posted: Mar 31, 2015 at 15:15 Quote
Jsciolino wrote:
Hoping someone can help with a problem on a new set of Next SL cinch cranks I have.
Cant get rid of constant creaking from drive, changed BB to no avail., clean, reclean....

When I installed my NextSL cranks on my Enduro I noticed the collar will tighten up. But then rotate the cranks 3-4 times and it could be tightened again almost a full rotation. I had to repeat this four or five times before it would stop allowing me to re-tighten the collar. My guess is the press-fit bearings needed to be squared up and it took a few tighten steps to do that.

Also, when I received my new cranks the little 3mm screw that locks the collar was missing (which RF immediately sent me replacements). So I would check to make sure the locking screw is there and tight...

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.008202
Mobile Version of Website