building a pump track

PB Forum :: Trail Building
building a pump track
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: May 5, 2015 at 23:37 Quote
So i'm new to freeriding and where i live its as flat as a pooltable. To get some excercise i 'd like to build a pump track. I've got a big enough terrain to do so with even room for dirt jumps etc BUT I have no idea how you should design such a thing! How the f am I supposed to know how far the jumps should be apart? I'd ride it with my freeride bike so I'm guessing its different for a bmx or dirt bike...

Posted: May 6, 2015 at 9:52 Quote
Get a shovel, and a clinometer also being good at maths helps

Posted: May 6, 2015 at 10:28 Quote
I suck at math and need to look up what a clinometer is right after i struggle through the terminology of berms, rollers and what not..
All that shit..

Posted: May 6, 2015 at 12:18 Quote
The math side just let's you get it right to the wire berms should be at 45° from the ground in the apex of the corner (middle point) Rollers are just like we bumps you roll over a table top is a jump with out the gap in the middle top of it looks like a table ironically and a tranny can be either a gap jump or someone who dresses like the opposite sex. When I build if I am looking for a lengthy jump ill set a take off angle to about 20°- 30° if it's more hight your after also known as amplitude I would set the take off angle between 40° and 60°. That's where a clinometer comes in handy as this will allow you to measure that angle. Also starting off small is the best way to avoid unnecessary injuries. Good luck

Posted: May 7, 2015 at 0:47 Quote
Thx, i'm already looking to borrow a little digger and i'd need some extra dirt to prevent pooling..belgium is a very rainy country so i'm better of adding dirt than digging for it..

O+
Posted: May 8, 2015 at 16:00 Quote
The Lee Likes Bikes website has pump track articles and used to have a pdf you could buy for like $10 with good instructions. I think it's in the Pump Track Nation tab.

http://www.leelikesbikes.com/pump-tracks-and-bike-parks/llb-trailbuilding-designbuild-services

Posted: May 9, 2015 at 13:15 Quote
Well, i saw his site before but the project is on hold right now.

Our community built a skatepark this year and i contacted local governments to find a spot nearby where a pump track could be built. I opted that it be built in dirt for starters to see if it's popular enough for our community to invest in a concrete or asphalt covered dirt track as seen in switserland.
Look up tour de pump on youtube if you want to see them..

Posted: Jun 22, 2015 at 14:53 Quote
wp90kid wrote:
The math side just let's you get it right to the wire berms should be at 45° from the ground in the apex of the corner (middle point) Rollers are just like we bumps you roll over a table top is a jump with out the gap in the middle top of it looks like a table ironically and a tranny can be either a gap jump or someone who dresses like the opposite sex. When I build if I am looking for a lengthy jump ill set a take off angle to about 20°- 30° if it's more hight your after also known as amplitude I would set the take off angle between 40° and 60°. That's where a clinometer comes in handy as this will allow you to measure that angle. Also starting off small is the best way to avoid unnecessary injuries. Good luck

That's some great information!

Just started diggin a couple of jumps and will use your angles as a guide. What I've done is a bit too steep at the moment and tends to kick up too much.

BTW the compass app on iphone has a clinomoeter built in, just drag to the left from the main screen. There are probably apps for android etc too.

Posted: Jul 23, 2015 at 3:10 Quote
best cross training you can do in opinion

photo

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.016582
Mobile Version of Website