Thomson vs Reverb dropper post

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
Thomson vs Reverb dropper post
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Oct 1, 2015 at 12:13 Quote
Hi everyone.

I'm thinking of getting a dropper post in the near future. I looked a lot at threads about both Thomson dropper and the Reverb which are the ones I like the most and they all seem to have issues.

From what I read, I have the feeling dropper post technology is still in its infancy because no matter which one you pick there seem to be a lot of long term reliability issues at the moment...

Anyway, I'm looking for long term reviews from you guys that could help me to decide.

So far I have the feeling Thomson is more reliable and I love its aesthetics but the Reverb features an hydraulic line, comes in various travels and most importantly is (unlike Thomson) fully user serviceable... tell me what you guys think and what is your experience.

Thanks for your help!
Smile

O+
Posted: Oct 1, 2015 at 13:43 Quote
I've been using a RS Reverb on my Orbea Rallon this season. I've put over 500 miles on it predominantly technical XC riding. It's been consistent for me. I end up using it only a few times each ride but it sure is nice when needed. Mine is set up with a left hand thumb lever which keeps the clutter down as I'm running a one by setup. It's either all the way up or all the way down with the rare occasion I try and get it at the mid way point. The only issue I've had with it was when I crashed and snapped the cable at the lever. I think my lbs charged me usd 15$ to fix it.

Adam

O+
Posted: Oct 5, 2015 at 11:43 Quote
I have the Thomson Elite Covert dropper and haven't had MAJOR issues with it at all. I like that it has very little to no side to side play in the seat compared to my friend's dropper posts. It's been through all kinds of riding and I use it frequently when riding local trails. I never have had an issue with slow travel, not extending fully and not compressing fully The only complaint I have is the lever feels pretty cheap. There's no cable stop at the lever since the cable stop is on the dropper itself via internal routing. The lever has a screw that secures the cable and it seems to come loose (even using the barrel adjuster) after a month or two of excessive riding. It's extremely easy to replace but it's just a minor annoyance that I have with it. I don't think this is an issue with the external droppers though because i think the cable stop is at the lever instead of the dropper (I could be wrong).

Posted: Oct 5, 2015 at 12:33 Quote
Thanks for your replies, much appreciated.

@jpraph : how many miles did you put on your Covert?

O+
Posted: Oct 5, 2015 at 14:00 Quote
I would say about 200 miles of just trail riding. I use it frequently every time I ride though since it's a lot of short climbs followed by short descents around here.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.011344
Mobile Version of Website