Trance 2 or Ad 2 or reign 2 or stumpy alloy?

PB Forum :: Giant
Trance 2 or Ad 2 or reign 2 or stumpy alloy?
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Nov 17, 2015 at 16:21 Quote
To all experience riders who to help me to select or make a decision?

I am a pretty new to MTB and Looking forward to have good suggestions on buying a good Trail/AM bike can do everything. I'm not going to have a big jump, will stick on the ground.

Short list of bike that I think will be a good choice(budget).

2016 Specialized Stumpy alloy 650B
2016 Giant Trance 2
2016 Giant Reign 2
2016 Giant Trance Ad 2

Myself: 1.88m and 90kg

Cheers

I'm based in New Zealand.

Posted: Nov 18, 2015 at 20:22 Quote
The reign is a mini dh bike. So if your planning to do a lot of shuttle/lift serviced riding, that'd be your best option.

For trail, swing for the trance advanced and when you get better, upgrade the fork with a pike.

Posted: Nov 18, 2015 at 20:41 Quote
The trance is a very capable bike and you'd be surprised how capable it is on stuff it was not quite designed to do (I should know, I have one).

I reckon the alloy trance is a better deal component wise than the advanced...

Reign is a lot of bike if you're just starting out

Posted: Nov 18, 2015 at 22:02 Quote
crispy4505 wrote:
The reign is a mini dh bike. So if your planning to do a lot of shuttle/lift serviced riding, that'd be your best option.

For trail, swing for the trance advanced and when you get better, upgrade the fork with a pike.

Thank you for your helpful suggestions. Only the fork need upgrade? a lot of ppl they're not really prefer specialized stumpy, why??

Posted: Nov 19, 2015 at 7:21 Quote
RonZ8 wrote:
crispy4505 wrote:

Thank you for your helpful suggestions. Only the fork need upgrade? a lot of ppl they're not really prefer specialized stumpy, why??

A fork upgrade will make the most noticeable improvement in terms of peformance. You may consider upgrading the shock to a debonair plus if you start doing more gravity oriented riding. When the drivetrain wears out, I would switch to a 1x11 setup.

For the stumpy, the single pivot design will bob way more than the giant maestro. Also, specialized use propriety shock lengths that make upgrades limited and expensive.

Posted: Nov 19, 2015 at 9:09 Quote
If you are just starting out and plan on doing mostly trail riding I'd buy the aluminum Trance 2 over the Carbon Trance. A carbon frame wont make a huge difference especially for new riders. The build of the Advanced 2 and the regular Trance 2 are fairly similar except for the frame. The Rockshox Secktor is probably worse than the 2016 Fox Float fork, but I've ridden neither so I can't say for sure.

Get the Trance 2, save $600 and put it towards a Pike, a new wheelset or converting to 1x10

Posted: Nov 19, 2015 at 14:27 Quote
crispy4505 wrote:
RonZ8 wrote:
crispy4505 wrote:

A fork upgrade will make the most noticeable improvement in terms of peformance. You may consider upgrading the shock to a debonair plus if you start doing more gravity oriented riding. When the drivetrain wears out, I would switch to a 1x11 setup.

For the stumpy, the single pivot design will bob way more than the giant maestro. Also, specialized use propriety shock lengths that make upgrades limited and expensive.

The Stumpy is an FSR/horst link bike not single pivot, but I agree. Giants are usually better specced for the money, esp here in Oz

Posted: Dec 4, 2015 at 6:53 Quote
RonZ8 wrote:
To all experience riders who to help me to select or make a decision?

I am a pretty new to MTB and Looking forward to have good suggestions on buying a good Trail/AM bike can do everything. I'm not going to have a big jump, will stick on the ground.

Short list of bike that I think will be a good choice(budget).

2016 Specialized Stumpy alloy 650B
2016 Giant Trance 2
2016 Giant Reign 2
2016 Giant Trance Ad 2

Myself: 1.88m and 90kg

Cheers

I'm based in New Zealand.

My riding buddy has a Trance 2 and a Stumpy FSR,, The FSR to me has a much better feel than the trance.. Of course it is a more expensive bike,, but that being said I have the cheaper Stance 2 and to me it feels closer to the handling of the FSR than the Trance. I actually like my Stance better than his Trance.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.010626
Mobile Version of Website