Post Your Specialized SX

PB Forum :: Post Your Ride
Post Your Specialized SX
Posted: Jul 26, 2014 at 21:38 Quote

Thanks Man Here's the ticket, I thought it may work. ~ Cheers
http://www.vitalmtb.com/community/PARMAGEDDON,23864/setup,21391

Posted: Jul 27, 2014 at 0:38 Quote
Just FYI, I bought a used 09 SX Trail I a few months ago and it has an RP23 on it with a blue (I assume SX) shock yoke. Appears to be cut down as well.

I can take pics if need be, but just thought I'd throw it out there if it helps.

Posted: Jul 27, 2014 at 13:13 Quote
Anybody know if the ccdb air fit on a SX trail of 2008??
I need help whit this because me don't like the running of the dhx air 5.0
Thank you!!

Posted: Jul 27, 2014 at 21:17 Quote
tf02 wrote:
Just FYI, I bought a used 09 SX Trail I a few months ago and it has an RP23 on it with a blue (I assume SX) shock yoke. Appears to be cut down as well.

I can take pics if need be, but just thought I'd throw it out there if it helps.

yeah I love to see it. I am trying to determine if getting a 5.0 air and the second yoke is worthwhile or if just getting a ti spring will save relatively a close enough weight savings.

Posted: Jul 27, 2014 at 21:28 Quote
sterlingmagnum wrote:
yeah I love to see it. I am trying to determine if getting a 5.0 air and the second yoke is worthwhile or if just getting a ti spring will save relatively a close enough weight savings.

photo

Posted: Jul 27, 2014 at 21:38 Quote
^^^Interesting I was wondering about the bottom out on the RP's as in how deep that yoke heads up the shock shaft. is that a medium tune on that and how do you feel it handles the full range of squish?

Posted: Jul 27, 2014 at 21:58 Quote
sterlingmagnum wrote:
^^^Interesting I was wondering about the bottom out on the RP's as in how deep that yoke heads up the shock shaft. is that a medium tune on that and how do you feel it handles the full range of squish?

I've had it completely bottomed out before (o-ring right against the yoke), so not sure how smart it is to do this mod. Like I said I bought the bike used like this so this was not my doing Big Grin

Yes I believe M tune, I had to run quite a bit of pressure in it for it to run the way I wanted it to. Seemed to be pretty stiff over the braking bumps, but acceptable on drops/jumps. Shock may not be in the best of shape though, so take with a grain of salt. I like jumping a lot and found this air shock to be not the best setup, I much prefer coil.

I actually got a new bike (Demo 8!) and haven't really touched my SXt since then...

Posted: Jul 27, 2014 at 22:03 Quote
tf02 wrote:
sterlingmagnum wrote:

I've had it completely bottomed out before (o-ring right against the yoke), so not sure how smart it is to do this mod. Like I said I bought the bike used like this so this was not my doing Big Grin

Yes I believe M tune, I had to run quite a bit of pressure in it for it to run the way I wanted it to. Seemed to be pretty stiff over the braking bumps, but acceptable on drops/jumps. Shock may not be in the best of shape though, so take with a grain of salt. I like jumping a lot and found this air shock to be not the best setup, I much prefer coil.

I actually got a new bike (Demo 8!) and haven't really touched my SXt since then...

Yeah I may just let mine alone for now It feels great as is other than being a heavier bike than I am used to. I just looked into Ti springs and a 600 x 2.25 is not only a rare beast, you must pay dearly for it if you find one...

Posted: Jul 27, 2014 at 22:06 Quote
sterlingmagnum wrote:
Yeah I may just let mine alone for now It feels great as is other than being a heavier bike than I am used to. I just looked into Ti springs and a 600 x 2.25 is not only a rare beast, you must pay dearly for it if you find one...

What are you using it for? Honestly I found mine to be a pretty decent weight, only about 5lb heavier than my buddy's Stumpjumper Comp Evo ... with the SXt being a whole lot stronger as well as more travel and slacker.

Posted: Jul 27, 2014 at 22:13 Quote
tf02 wrote:
sterlingmagnum wrote:

What are you using it for? Honestly I found mine to be a pretty decent weight, only about 5lb heavier than my buddy's Stumpjumper Comp Evo ... with the SXt being a whole lot stronger as well as more travel and slacker.

Pretty much everything at this point but we can call it AM and Park. I just got it and have to get used to the 5 pound increase from my covert. I think the strength is what i needed so i am going to have to adjust is all...

Posted: Jul 27, 2014 at 22:41 Quote
sterlingmagnum wrote:
Pretty much everything at this point but we can call it AM and Park. I just got it and have to get used to the 5 pound increase from my covert. I think the strength is what i needed so i am going to have to adjust is all...

I hear you on that. Take some time to get used to it, it's an awesome bike ... wish they made them still.

I got more into DH and shuttling, and I don't like the frame design on the Enduro Expert Evo (SXt replacement). So I got a Demo instead. Now that is a bit more weight to deal with, LOL.

Posted: Jul 31, 2014 at 14:06 Quote
sterlingmagnum wrote:

I have a 2011 sx trail. I was running a dhx rc4 w/ Ti coil and switched to a Float X ctd this year. I have been beyond happy I bought the yoke.

Definite weight savings. At first I had to run such high pressure it lost small bump sensitivity. I added a 0.6 volume reducer and it restored some much needed coil like progressiveness.

Biggest improvement has been trail rides. I almost forget the bikes extra weight with the CTD. Pedals infinitely better. I've taken it downhill. The Ti coil shined here, but the float x works. I haven't noticed fade through runs.

Posted: Jul 31, 2014 at 15:41 Quote
bobsl wrote:
sterlingmagnum wrote:

I have a 2011 sx trail. I was running a dhx rc4 w/ Ti coil and switched to a Float X ctd this year. I have been beyond happy I bought the yoke.

Definite weight savings. At first I had to run such high pressure it lost small bump sensitivity. I added a 0.6 volume reducer and it restored some much needed coil like progressiveness.

Biggest improvement has been trail rides. I almost forget the bikes extra weight with the CTD. Pedals infinitely better. I've taken it downhill. The Ti coil shined here, but the float x works. I haven't noticed fade through runs.

Hmm interesting...I have had the bike on a few shakedown rides now and mostly in the XC type riding with some jumps and miniature sections of DH lines. I was basically resigned to the fact that it would never be a 5" travel trail bike but I decided to trust the specialized shock spec for the frame and took some time to focus on setting up suspension and bike set up this morning.

First thing I noticed was about a 6mm offset in the rear wheel due to the drive side stay being asymmetrical, so I dished that to center and trued up the rear wheel as needed. ( no wonder left turns were so fun)

Second played with the air pressure a little more, popped a couple more turns on the spring and set the pro-pedal to total +.

Shortened up the chain and lowered the rise on my bars to 20mm (they were a ridiculous 50 mm rise)

I also tried to even out the sag as much as I could with fork being 160-180 travel but focused more on the 160 side since the bike was spec'd for that.

Took the bike out on one of the most technically challenging XC trial systems around here. It is just littered with massive alder and poplar roots criss-crossing every which way, tight turns and rocks of every shape and size. Actually has some small but abrupt hilly sections as well so its a good place to gauge your stuff.
I am so stoked on this bike now that I took the time to get to know it. I really cant believe how responsive the shock is to adjustments. I have run DHX 5 coils before but they never actually felt any different one way or another to me. This application is night and day. I cant get over how this bike reacts to tight turns and loves to hop either. its just an all around joy to ride (Bars), and it actually pedals great. I am going to soften it up a bit and take it up to the lift park tomorrow to see how big my smile gets there. I have always shied away from specialized just because their huge and I have always dug small indie type companies but I think I may have just been converted....Big Grin

Posted: Jul 31, 2014 at 15:46 Quote
whattheheel wrote:
Pictorz of bike?

Tonight I promise I want to take some with the current bars and oh the "modified blackspire used to be a chain guide but is now a bash guard thingy" I fashioned this morning he he but I don't have a damn cord at this computer....

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.017586
Mobile Version of Website