08 reign X1 - Good platform to get back into MTB?

PB Forum :: Giant
08 reign X1 - Good platform to get back into MTB?
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Apr 13, 2016 at 16:32 Quote
Hey all,

Been out of MTBing for about 8-10 years after moving to BMXing for 4-5 years then just not riding at all for the last few years. My brothers are getting back into it and I've caught the bug once again.

I've never had a "higher-end" bike and feel like I can grab a decent deal on a used older high end bike that I can upgrade for a couple years before I buy something new. I've really been looking at FR/All mountain bikes. I need something pretty burley but something climb-able and have narrowed it down to a Reign X. I don't need to be fast uphill, I just need to get to the top and have a good time going down. I'm 1.5 hrs from Tahoe and 2 hrs from Santa Cruz.

My question is, would a 08-10 reign X be too old of a bike to start up again on? I'd like to spend no more than 1k on a used FS MTB and there are plenty of decent bikes on Craigslist. I've currently got my eye on a 08 reign X1 that needs a new fork with an asking price of $725. The bike looks mostly stock with only deity stem, bars, and pedals.

Is this a decent deal to get started with again? Is this platform even worth it or should I be looking for something 2010+? Im open to other suggestions but I'm mainly looking for something with 6-7" of rear travel that would take some abuse but will last for 2-3 years ($1000-ish) while I get back on the horse.

I worked in a mountain bike shop for a little over a year while I was BMXing so I'm familiar with maintenance etc.

I've also considered:
Voltage FR
Specialized sx
Santa Cruz: heckler/vp free

Posted: Apr 15, 2016 at 12:05 Quote
I had an '07, and it was a good bike, aside from being a bit heavy for Trail riding, and the stock Van36R fork was one of the best parts of the bike.

Why does it need a new fork?
That would make me wonder what else needs replacing (wheels, drivetrain, brakes), so the costs could add up.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.009119
Mobile Version of Website