2016 Giant Contact SL Switch Dropper Post

PB Forum :: Giant
2016 Giant Contact SL Switch Dropper Post
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Jul 4, 2016 at 7:28 Quote
Hi everyone,

I purchased a 2016 Giant Reign 2 in December, (lovely bike, would recommend!) which came with the new contact dropper post fitted.

To start with the post had a lovely smooth action, I did need to adjust the cable tension slightly as it was set up too tightly by Tredz, but once I fixed that i had no complaints.

A few rides later I noticed the seat post had developed some play in the stantion, not a huge amount but it was noticeable. I assumed it was normal as I've been told most dropper posts develop a slight bit of play over time.

7 months after my purchase and the play has gotten a lot worse, to the point I can feel the seat twist side to side as I'm pedalling and when stood up a rattle can be heard as it wobbles around. The action of the post is still fairly smooth, not as smooth as it was brand new, but I can't complain, although there are some wear marks on the stantion near the seal.

Is there anything I can do to eliminate/reduce this play?

I plan to replace my remote cable this week as it has become sticky, causing the switch to remain in the "open" position, and was wondering what, if anything, I can do to solve the problem? I was thinking maybe dismantling and servicing the post may return it to its former glory, but thought I'd see if anyone has had the same problem and found a solution.

Thanks a lot.

FL
Posted: Aug 9, 2016 at 17:39 Quote
Same problem, sent it to giant. I'll tell you when it'll come back.

Posted: Aug 10, 2016 at 5:04 Quote
fracasnoxteam wrote:

Ok thanks. Were they happy for you to send it straight to them or did they tell you to take it to the shop you bought the bike/seatpost from first?

FL
Posted: Aug 10, 2016 at 14:49 Quote
GeorgeAlbery wrote:
fracasnoxteam wrote:

Ok thanks. Were they happy for you to send it straight to them or did they tell you to take it to the shop you bought the bike/seatpost from first?
of course I take it to shop. I work 12hours/day, I don't have time to search for a solution, so took it back(instead of eating) to lbs. When done, I'll ask what is the problem, that could help you.

Posted: Aug 12, 2016 at 6:13 Quote
Would also be interested to know if there is a fix for this problem.

Posted: Aug 12, 2016 at 13:15 Quote
I have contacted the mailorder shop in which I purchased the bike from regarding the problem and they have sent me a print off label to return the seatpost to them. There was no accompanying email sent with it so I'm unsure if they are going to inspect and repair it themselves, send it to giant, or give me a new post altogether. Would be nice to have some communication from them!

Posted: Aug 17, 2016 at 6:17 Quote
If the dropper is still in warranty period shop should handle it, whether themselves or via outside service (most probably they will send this to Giant). Bad thing is that it can take some time to get it back. In the meantime you can get some cheap seatpost just to be able to ride Smile

Posted: Aug 26, 2016 at 7:15 Quote
My LBS did an in-house warranty replacement on my Contact Switch SL post this week. 5 months old and it stopped dropping. I was doing zero maintenance on the thing and washing my bike a bunch - so it could be my fault - but the shop said Giant will replace so they loaded me up with a new one.

The manual for the post does not address periodic maintenance at all - so I sent them a question about regular lube, etc. Giant sent me this response:

"Thank you for contacting us. Yes, a little maintenance is needed to keep it running like new. After an extended period of time a complete overhaul is a good idea, but a little light grease for forks will do it keep it running like new. Here is an excellent video showing you a little maintenance you can do at home. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSdExHqbPRU"

Posted: Jan 7, 2018 at 2:36 Quote
Hi I have just received a replacement under warranty because of the sideways swivel movement ,I did this through the local LBS when I picked it up the guy asked did I want the old unit I said yes .
When I got home I completely striped it down removing the sliding inner post from the outer and I can confirm in my opinion it is a terminal fault as the inner post is formed with 4 key way type extrusions and the inside of the outer has the same but this part is possibly removable ( I did not try to remove this part as I wanted to keep it all intact as an emergency post).I thought if I went any further I would damage it and not be able to put it back together.
I have used this post 4 days a week for 10 months so the wear has shown up quite quickly as the average Joe will only use their MTB at weekends a couple of times a month.
If anyone does take the strip down any further and manage to successfully repair can they please post.

To remove the inner post from the out once the piston has been removed just undo the screw collar and sharply slide the inner from the outer with a slide hammer action.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.009803
Mobile Version of Website